Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 2.0 Timing Chain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same timing chain issue in my 13 q5 with 85K miles.

Last edited by tigers7; 02-06-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP here. My service consultant at the Audi dealership told me that it might be possible to recoup the cost from Audi. Anyone try this or even heard of such a thing?

No pun intended, but it sounds like it would fall on deaf ears.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 322 Posts

+1 Adding a data point I had the same issue in my '14 Q5 2.0T at 77K miles (but looking at the tensioner it should have been done sooner).

Agree with everything S4 says in post #10 but just know that shorter oil change intervals are good and definitely will help but should not be considered a panacea. Not implying S4 is saying that, I just wanted to point out that there is no substituting for checking your phase position deviation and/or physically checking the tensioner though the "peep-hole".

Last edited by silver_tt; 08-13-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi 2t slipped timing bent valves

I have an audi Q5 2litre with 170k and has slipped timing, probably bent valves, no compression, was running fine, then hard to start, started and then this..
i've been getting quotes, $4500 for a used 65k motor with new timing components, then: "about" $6000 for local audi shop to repair.
Another shop told me that it probably wasn't a tensioner problem but bad balance shaft bearings " he thinks" and basically not worth trying to repair, H e can get a used engine installed for $3800 but no new timing components.
I have had experience rebuilding US cast iron push rod motors, Is this a job I can tackle in my garage: Remove head and have it repaired and replace timing components and replace.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 322 Posts

Interesting you said it was hard to start. I was first alerted to this issue from an Audi tech who told me on my push-to-start car (assuming it would be the same for key ignition as well) if you have to hold the button longer to start that is a sign that the chain/tensioner is out and should be looked at immediately. However, that said, I never had any issue starting my car so it doesn't mean if you have the issue it has to happen.......
Old 08-13-2020, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by senordan
, Is this a job I can tackle in my garage: Remove head and have it repaired and replace timing components and replace.
There are youtube videos showing replacing piston/rings on the gen2 EA888s (CAxx engines), which is about same amount of work. Pull engine, tear it down. I am doing that in my garage without a lift for a 6 cyl double overhead cam 3.5L Lexus currently, and have same experience as you with simpler push rod engines. I would not hesitate to do the job on a 4 cyl, less work. I think I would spend a $100 to get an engine stand, and maybe an engine lift too (I have my subframe on dollies), gl.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Another 2013 Q5 Timing Chain Replacement issue!

Originally Posted by vnp832
I recently had to replace the timing chain on my 2013 Q5 2.0. It's is in very good condition and just recently crossed 70k miles. My research has led me to few answers as to why the timing chain had worn out so badly. Also, I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with the same problem for 2013s. I am not really finding much online.

Basically I am seeing if there's a puncher's chance of getting Audi to reimburse me $2900.
How did you make out with your claim to Audi last year? Did your 2013 fall under the extended warranty eligibility? Did Audi reimburse anything for you?
My car recently had a bit of misfiring and the next thing I knew is would not start at 69K miles! Audi dealership looked at it and they said it is a timing chain replacement job at the cost of $2600 (fortunately, it only stretched and did not do valve damage).
I just put my claim in at Audi USA -- They said they will work with the dealer on my behalf as this is a known issue but my VIN does not allow me to fall under the extended warranty they are giving the timing chains my my vehicle -- Not sure why?
Old 04-08-2022, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SkiBike1102
How did you make out with your claim to Audi last year? Did your 2013 fall under the extended warranty eligibility? Did Audi reimburse anything for you?
My car recently had a bit of misfiring and the next thing I knew is would not start at 69K miles! Audi dealership looked at it and they said it is a timing chain replacement job at the cost of $2600 (fortunately, it only stretched and did not do valve damage).
I just put my claim in at Audi USA -- They said they will work with the dealer on my behalf as this is a known issue but my VIN does not allow me to fall under the extended warranty they are giving the timing chains my my vehicle -- Not sure why?
Found this thread after having to have my timing chain replaced on 2013 Q5 at 78K miles . My car is outside of the class-action lawsuit in the US, but notice there is a current class-action in Canada, which covers the year and model. Check engine light went on, took to local shop (dealership is 1.5 hrs away), they replaced the fuel pump, next day check engine light back on so took to the dealership, they said it was a non-OEM fuel pump and recommended replacing it. 2 days later, check engine light back on, back to the dealership, then they say timing chain. I tell them it should last 125K miles and remind them of the class action lawsuits and that I was going to contact Audi. Dealership said go for it, that I had more pull with Audi than they would. Audi dragged their feet, so I went a head and authorized the repair. Audi comes back to me and says they have done their due diligence and the dealership will not support the coverage of this repair. So Audi is pushing it on the dealership, can't get the dealership to agree to this. Not sure why the dealership would decide, Audi themselves has more data on the occurrence of chronic issues such as this. Anyone successful in getting Audi to cover and what is the secret??
Old 04-09-2022, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cp2990
Found this thread after having to have my timing chain replaced on 2013 Q5 at 78K miles . My car is outside of the class-action lawsuit in the US, but notice there is a current class-action in Canada, which covers the year and model. Check engine light went on, took to local shop (dealership is 1.5 hrs away), they replaced the fuel pump, next day check engine light back on so took to the dealership, they said it was a non-OEM fuel pump and recommended replacing it. 2 days later, check engine light back on, back to the dealership, then they say timing chain. I tell them it should last 125K miles and remind them of the class action lawsuits and that I was going to contact Audi. Dealership said go for it, that I had more pull with Audi than they would. Audi dragged their feet, so I went a head and authorized the repair. Audi comes back to me and says they have done their due diligence and the dealership will not support the coverage of this repair. So Audi is pushing it on the dealership, can't get the dealership to agree to this. Not sure why the dealership would decide, Audi themselves has more data on the occurrence of chronic issues such as this. Anyone successful in getting Audi to cover and what is the secret??
I do have some advice here! Funny that you mention fuel pump - my fuel pump went as well but I found out after they fixed the timing chain.
So, they started work on my car and then came back and sailed I had piston damage and asked for another $5900! I realized that this was going to take some heavy lifting. I put my claim in with Audi USA and then wrote to the dealer and Audi/VW Customer Service (once I had a claim number and email address to attach it to) letter telling them essentially that they would be responsible based on the fact that thousands of vehicles are still out ther with this issue due to a faulty timing tensioner. I also found the GM at my dealer and got him involved. I met him in his corner office of the new swanky dealership and let him know that Audi is responsible here. Audi is letting thousands of vehicles stay on the street with this bad tensioner. They are only handling case by case with people like us! They should be putting a recall out there.
I also drove home the point that that I did all of my vehicle services and maintenance on the car — so I learned this is critical for them to do anything for you. I also learned that Customer Support has a local rep who will talk to your dealer and they/together will decide what you get covered. I think the dealer takes a hit as well as corporate. For me, I had going to the dealer for brakes and some oil changes so it helped my cause. They wanted me to come back for more service and to buy future vehicles. I told them how my family had bought a couple cars and that this was my second Audi. I believe my persistence, heavy hand in my letter, Audi allegiance, and regular maintenance all helped. By the way, they didn’t care if some of my oil changes were done at a local place - they said they just wanted to see that the oil had been changed regularly. This was crucial!!!!!
VW came back and said they would cover everything but $2800. They required me to get another fuel filter and just would not cover all - it had been done but the dealer said that the deal was off unless I paid this.
I got the car back and it had a horrible gas smell. I brought it back and they tried to charge me for a fuel pump. I fought again with Customer Support and the dealer- again writing letters to both explaining how my research told me that it is most likely that the timing chain damage caused my fuel pump damage — they are likely related! My letters to the dealer went to both the GM and the service manager with copy to Audi Support - all over email. So, they came back and covered all on the fuel pump repair.
I understand from a of mechanics who get intel from customers that Audi will never cover all. Expect 50-60% or so to be covered. All in, they did cover a bit more than that for me.
The following users liked this post:
toledotom (04-09-2022)