Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 2.0 Timing Chain Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Q5 2.0 Timing Chain Issues

I recently had to replace the timing chain on my 2013 Q5 2.0. It's is in very good condition and just recently crossed 70k miles. My research has led me to few answers as to why the timing chain had worn out so badly. Also, I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with the same problem for 2013s. I am not really finding much online.

Basically I am seeing if there's a puncher's chance of getting Audi to reimburse me $2900.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by vnp832
I recently had to replace the timing chain on my 2013 Q5 2.0. It's is in very good condition and just recently crossed 70k miles. My research has led me to few answers as to why the timing chain had worn out so badly. Also, I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with the same problem for 2013s. I am not really finding much online.

Basically I am seeing if there's a puncher's chance of getting Audi to reimburse me $2900.
How did you know that the chain needed replacing?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
How did you know that the chain needed replacing?
My check engine light came on and I took my vehicle to the Audi Bethesda Service Department. So they are the ones that informed me.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vnp832
My check engine light came on and I took my vehicle to the Audi Bethesda Service Department. So they are the ones that informed me.
Do you trust the dealer? New chain at 70K just sounds a little questionable.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I will second that. 70K for chain for pretty much any car is kinda premature, a lot. You've got about a half of life expectancy out of it, I would ask some serious questions why so soon.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Just had it replaced on my 2014 at 79k. CEL came on, indicting fuel pressure was retarded. My extended warranty covered the cost and it was cleared by the warranty company. I wouldn’t chance it...beats needing a new engine at $8k+. Post #9 - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25413192
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Just had it replaced on my 2014 at 79k. CEL came on, indicting fuel pressure was retarded. My extended warranty covered the cost and it was cleared by the warranty company. I wouldn’t chance it...beats needing a new engine at $8k+. Post #9 - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25413192
Do you mean low fuel pump pressure? Retarded pressure doesn't make much sense. Retarded timing does.
Either way I don't get the correlation between a stretched timing chain and fuel pressure.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you mean low fuel pump pressure? Retarded pressure doesn't make much sense. Retarded timing does.
Either way I don't get the correlation between a stretched timing chain and fuel pressure.
Yes, I did mean the timing, but from the dealer report...

FOUND STRETCHED TIMING CHAIN, RECOMMEND REPLACING TIMING CHAIN WITH TENSIONER.

FOUND P0088 AND P053F FAULTS STORED IN THE ECM, CHECKED FUEL SYSTEM AND NO MALFUNCTIONS WERE FOUND AND NO WIRING DAMAGED WAS NOTICED. STRETCHED CHAIN INDICATES THE

TIMING IS SLIGHTLY RETARDED. FUEL PRESSURE PEAKS AFTER THE THE INJECTORS HAVE ALREADY FIRED CAUSING THE PRESSURE TO BE TOO HIGH.

REPLACING THE TIMING CHAIN AND TENSIONER WILL FIX THIS ISSUE
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This dealership definitely has a reputation for upselling to customers. We have our fair share of pretentious jerk-offs in the DC area so my take is that most of their customers don't care or don't have enough information.

That being said, I've been brining my Q5 to this service department since I moved here 4 years ago. There's been a few recalls, a few oil changes, and an estimate for body damage. I've never had an issue other than some rude employees, a ridiculous body shop recommendation, and a few instances of blatant upselling.

I bought it as certified pre-owned from Audi Silver Spring in 2016 with 37k. So yes, 70k is beyond fishy. However, I do trust that there was a serious issue with the timing chain. It'd be pretty egregious for them to scam a customer of 4 years with a repair like this. Believe me, I was in shock when I heard. So I did some research and found model years with with chain issues. For instance, the 2012 had a systemic issue with the chains and Audi extended a warranty to owners because of the scale. Other years were not as bad but still big enough to have a presence online. So I chalked this up to an anomaly and went ahead with the repair.

All that being said, I am very curious if other 2013 owners have had issues with chains. Also if anyone has experience contacting VW/Audi about reimbursements from large repairs like this.

Dealer report:

70130 mil light on 10.00 found fault for cold start fuel pressure to high, inspected timing chain, found tension 8 notches out, chain stretched, replaced timing chain, guides, tensioner, cam bracket, timing cover lower, cleared faults, no issues present
Old 02-04-2020, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Nothing "fishy"....the timing chain of the 2.0T has some known durability problems...the chain design has been redesigned two or three times, to make the link and pins more wear resistant. These pivot points wear, which results in a longer ("stretched") chain. Part of the problem is the too-long 10,000 mile oil change interval. The oil should be changed no longer than 5000 mile intervals.
The following 2 users liked this post by S4'ed:
rez (04-10-2022), toledotom (09-30-2021)

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 2.0 Timing Chain Issues