Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 3.0T First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 3.0T First Impressions

Here are some initial impressions of my Monsoon Gray/Black 2013 Q5 3.0T, with some selected comparisons with my wife's 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 28i.

Config packages: prestige, comfort, sport, driver assist. N.B.: you can mix the sport and comfort packages in certain colors e.g., black (not obvious from the order sheets). I wanted the ventilated seats and the 3 spoke sport steering wheel (the 4 spoke bugged me for some reason), which let me to this color/package combo.

<B>Exterior</B> - Styling updates for 2013 (grill, lights) are subtle, but add presence and elegance. The continuous lines of the new LED running lights and tail lights are eye pleasing and distinctive. Monsoon Grey is a calm and understated color, quite versatile with some bluish visual notes in different lighting conditions.
<B>Interior</B> - Finish feels solid. 3-spoke sport steering wheel (round, not the flat bottom) looks and feels great in hand. Controls are laid out well and produce an integrated cockpit for the driver. Front side by side cupholders are great, rear not so much. Coin holder is useless. Door pockets hold bottles now, a nice touch. Pano roof is pretty, mesh sunshade is mediocre. Would prefer a solid sunshade like BMW provides in the X1 and X3 as it blocks light and noise better. Nonetheless, cabin noise is quite well insulated and interior/phone conversations are easily held. Comfort seats are great, good thigh and lumbar support, easily adjusted. Heating mechanism works well, gets quite warm. Haven't tried the ventilation function yet. Cabin visibility is adequate, but the X1 wins on this front.
<B>Tech</B> - 2013 MMI is a nice update with Google Earth integration. Nav display readability is good, wish the screen were a little bigger (the X1 has a nice wide display). Menu system is a bit busy and makes you visually hunt around. The BMW iDrive is a cleaner menu system and easier to navigate. Array of MMI functions is impressive, e.g. lots of different voice commands possible. A far cry from natural language capable, though, e.g. Siri on an iPhone. If you have an iPhone/iPod, make sure you get the cable with the red grommets to enable full capabilities (cover art, etc.). Annoying that there's no console or armrest usb port like the X1 and other cars. Bluetooth streaming works great, but overall is inferior to BMW's implementation. Pandora shows track info, but not cover art. Have not tried the WiFi hotspot yet. Comfort key access is a huge plus - lock/unlock from all 4 door handles (X1 only allows from front door handles). Rear power lift is quiet and smooth.
<B>Driving</B> - Nicely balanced experience. Body roll reasonably controlled in Auto mode, haven't tested Dynamic yet. Electric power steering is quite pliable at low speeds, but stiffens up dramatically at highway speeds. 25-35 mph is a middle ground that leans towards over-assisted by my feel, but not too bad. Quite comparable to an X1 in terms of drivability. Differences in driving position (Q5 is higher), sense of bulk/weight (Q5 is bigger and heavier), suspension tuning (Q5 3.0 feels stiffer and body rolls less than the non-M line X1). Many other subtle differences, but both are fun to drive.
<B>Engine</B> - Very positive on this front. The 3.0 feels like the engine this car should have. The 2.0 was OK, but now it feels like the car really moves when you command vs the 2.0, where the pedal was used for you to suggest movement to the car. Aceeleration feels linear and smooth from 0-80 keeping the tach <4500 or so. Haven't tested the upper power bands yet and it feels like there's plenty left under the pedal. Compared with the X1, there's more usable low end torque in this 3.0T, but it's not really a fair comparison. More similar to the X1 xDrive35i that I test drove.
<B>Transmission</B> - no significant gear hunting, smooth up and downshifts so far, matches gear/speed/response quite nicely. The virtues of this transmission have been well covered in other posts. Have not exercised the paddle shifters yet, but that should be fun, too.
<B>Accessories</B> - cross bars are included and include the noise dampening version of the Thule rubber strips with diagonal grooves.
<B>Gestalt</B> - versatile, sophisticated package that delivers on farfegnugen as well as upscale creature comforts and utility. Feels like a version 2.0 car - all the basics were great, now improved on the details. Quite pleased.

Hope this helps someone out there. The info on this forum certainly helped me decide. Happy to finally join the ranks of the Q5 owners here.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Good review. I concur. How do you find the steering, especially on-centre feel?

Last edited by NABS4; 12-07-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horrible review - now we have to go test drive one and we LIKE the 2011 !!!

but cooled seats like in my truck would be nice

thanks !
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed. Thanks for your review, and the Monsoon/Black combo would also be my top choice. I have an appointment to check out the 3.0T tomorrow. If I like it enough, my '11 3.2L with 5,000 miles may be replaced!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Horrible review - now we have to go test drive one and we LIKE the 2011 !!!

but cooled seats like in my truck would be nice

thanks !
I have a 3.0T on order. I increased my budget, as I really wanted ventilated seats. In order to get ventilated seats in the US, you have to get the 3.0 prestige, with the $2,300.00 comfort package. I don't know about adding individual features. I would like a flat bottomed steering wheel, as with my height, I would have the seat fairly high. Therefore, if I am not very careful, my leg will rub against the steering wheel getting in or out, as the wheel won't adjust high enough, IMO. I have this problem with my current vehicle and have black streaks on some pants from this issue. I am not aware that a flat bottomed steering wheel can be ordered as a stand alone option.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
I would like a flat bottomed steering wheel, as with my height, I would have the seat fairly high. Therefore, if I am not very careful, my leg will rub against the steering wheel getting in or out, as the wheel won't adjust high enough, IMO. I have this problem with my current vehicle and have black streaks on some pants from this issue. I am not aware that a flat bottomed steering wheel can be ordered as a stand alone option.
Flat-bottom sport wheel is only in the S-Line package, we don't really get the luxury of separate options for much of anything here.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi does tend to use the cookie-cutter approach to options. Nothing compared to Porsche or even BMW where you can order vehicles that are far more customizable. At a cost of course, but at least you have the option.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review - thanks for posting.

Comfort key access is a huge plus - lock/unlock from all 4 door handles (X1 only allows from front door handles)
All BMW cars use only front handles
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Good review. I concur. How do you find the steering, especially on-centre feel?
Steering is good - predictable and responsive. Not quite the firm hydraulic steering of my '93 325is, but better than average. On center feel is reasonable, probably 2-3cm of play in the wheel at highway speed, give or take.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great review, thanks! Couple things:

1) to the person who said BMW allows for more picking and choosing options, this is not the case anymore. They are the worst at packages forcing you into trim levels, colors, etc. Terrible. Dealers know nothing about Individual orders either so good luck there. They suck!!

2) I found the X1 to have significantly less body roll. It feels much more planted. Surprised you said the opposite...have you really pushed both?

3) Really interesting observation about the door handles. I lock from the back door all the time. Things like this are what makes me not want the X1 - no power liftgate, no elec parking brake, little luxury items i would expect. How big of a difference is there in the comfort/luxury aspect of both cars? Do you notice the missing items in the x1, does it annoy you?

4) If you hop in one, drive, then hop in the other and drive, what pops in your head good and bad about each?

5) did you test the 35i? I found it to be noticeably quicker than the 3.0T and much more fun to drive. Interested to hear your thoughts as a 28i owner on all 3....where do you rank the fun factor?

Quick Reply: 2013 3.0T First Impressions