Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Q5 - Streaming, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Audi Q5 - Streaming, etc.

We are pretty much decided on getting a 2012 Q5, as we just don't want to wait for the 2013 models. I wish they were coming sooner. But anyways, I do have a couple questions on it. It doesn't have ventilated seats, which isn't the biggest deal, but is anyone else a little maddened by this? My dad's pickup has them (granted it's a fancy pickup) and it just seems a little weird that a car like this wouldn't have them. Heated rear seats are also a nice option but the Q5 doesn't offer them. Also for bluetooth stereo streaming (A2DP) has anyone found a solution to this? I know they sold a dongle for older MMI models but why not for this one? It SHOULD have it anyways, but do you think they will offer one anytime? And if not, do you think we could upgrade from 3G to 3G+ to get this functionality?

I guess the point is that we love the car, but the compromises that always have to be made are so annoying. It is always the cars that drive well make compromises. the cars that have everything give up value and features. Why is there never a best of both? Is it that much to ask for?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

sorry, I mean to say that it is the cars that have everything give up driving pleasure and the cars that have driving pleasure always require compromises. I.E. Lincoln MKX vs Audi Q5
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sadly according to Audi, the pre-2013 (2012 and earlier) models MMI system DOES NOT support A2DP, nor early models will get an upgrade as the new system is completely new built from ground up with new hardware platform.

However technically it COULD be done, but we don't have the source code for the MMI system thus we can't somehow just enable it without rewrite and rebuild the system.

There are two ways of getting that done, the expensive and easy way, or the cheap but somewhat difficult way, depending on how geeky and nerdy you are.

Now the expensive and easy way, get this and you are done: http://audia2dp.weebly.com/

The cheap but difficult way? Here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-top...o-via-mmi.html

The later solution requires you to get an existing A2DP adapter and some soldering.

Bottom line if it's critical to you, I suggest you wait for the 2013 model instead.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow that is actually a huge help. I don't even think $150 is a huge deal in the context of what we're paying for the car. Honestly, thank-you so much. This takes a little of the blow away. Still annoying it doesn't come standard but at least it's not hundreds of dollars
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
Now the expensive and easy way, get this and you are done: http://audia2dp.weebly.com/
If I have my phone paired and streaming music with the A2DP adapter, can I still receive calls via the in car bluetooth?

Thank!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gheffty93
Wow that is actually a huge help. I don't even think $150 is a huge deal in the context of what we're paying for the car. Honestly, thank-you so much. This takes a little of the blow away. Still annoying it doesn't come standard but at least it's not hundreds of dollars
You are welcome. As for the cost, I can tell you that I made my own, including the price of the A2DP adapter for total of $55.

Originally Posted by eskayo
If I have my phone paired and streaming music with the A2DP adapter, can I still receive calls via the in car bluetooth?

Thank!
Yes, as they are two different adapters and most smart phones these days are smart enough to establish multi-point connections and switch in between audios.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
You are welcome. As for the cost, I can tell you that I made my own, including the price of the A2DP adapter for total of $55.

Yes, as they are two different adapters and most smart phones these days are smart enough to establish multi-point connections and switch in between audios.
In fact since I like the looks better for the 2012 model over the new design but wanted the streaming solution, I bought the 2012 and the modified cable. Works like a charm.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just thought of another issue....remote start. Again, it isn't the end all but has anyone found a solid way to do this without voiding the warranty? Our minivan has it, and yes I have heard the excuses that it's "illegal" in Europe, but it's not here in the US so it should be offered. It is really helpful in the winter time because we ski a lot. It's nice to have the car warmed up and running by the time we get to it.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Crap another thing just crossed my mind...are the heated seats really that bad? These cons are really worrying me.....
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gheffty93
Crap another thing just crossed my mind...are the heated seats really that bad? These cons are really worrying me.....
From other posters it sounds like Audi has upped them so sounds like a nonissue now. Totally agree with your comment about drive vs bells and whistles and why can't we have both. My personal thoughts on it though is the bells and whistles are cool to begin with but for the most part are forgotten after a short period. The ride on the other hand you deal with every time you get in the car and put it in drive. I'd much rather have a driving experience I love vs some cool tech toys. Believe me, I tried everything to justify keeping my Q. If only the resale value had sucked.

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Q5 - Streaming, etc.