Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Q5 MMI Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can upgrade to 3G+ by yourself.
it will take 11000RMB Yuan, about 2000 bucks if u already have MMI 3G.
I live in Beijing.

http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=17927769
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wonder if there are places in the US to get it upgraded... The ability to look places up by name via Google is awesome to have. I'd certainly pay for that upgrade to be done.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Because it's not a show stopper for me, I'm simply stating I'm surprised at the lack of functionality given that QNX developed the MMI system.

Originally Posted by Thunder22
I don't understand you, if it's that important to you, why didn't you look into i BEFORE you bought the Audi?
I'm very happy with the rest of the car, but I'm looking for a discussion to solve my media problems.

I've got an additional problem with online streaming services like Rdio and Grooveshark on my iPhone. They work great until the next song plays. Then the MMI switches over to the iPod and starts a song from there. For example, I start up Rdio on my iPhone and I play a song, the MMI starts playing it, If I skip a track or let the song play out, MMI switches the audio back to the iPod loaded songs. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djkast
Because it's not a show stopper for me, I'm simply stating I'm surprised at the lack of functionality given that QNX developed the MMI system.

I'm very happy with the rest of the car, but I'm looking for a discussion to solve my media problems.

I've got an additional problem with online streaming services like Rdio and Grooveshark on my iPhone. They work great until the next song plays. Then the MMI switches over to the iPod and starts a song from there. For example, I start up Rdio on my iPhone and I play a song, the MMI starts playing it, If I skip a track or let the song play out, MMI switches the audio back to the iPod loaded songs. Anyone else have this issue?
djkast,
I know it's frustrating, paying $$$$ for a car and then small thing like this get annoyed. But if I was you - I will take my car to the near dealer and ask them to fixed or replaced MMI unit.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
COD
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mooq5
You can upgrade to 3G+ by yourself.
it will take 11000RMB Yuan, about 2000 bucks if u already have MMI 3G.
I live in Beijing.

http://www.xcar.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=17927769
what parts & coding do I need to upgrade mmi 3g to mmi 3g+?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also interested, but I'm a little scared to do it my self with no directions, list of necessary parts...
It seems that the map of the country I'm in (Tunisia) is not available for the MMI 3G (US or EU), and since the 3G is abandonned by Audi, I doubt they will add new locations to it.
If the 3G+ uses Google Earth, does it mean you can load any location in the world?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM
COD
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zetto
I'm also interested, but I'm a little scared to do it my self with no directions, list of necessary parts...
It seems that the map of the country I'm in (Tunisia) is not available for the MMI 3G (US or EU), and since the 3G is abandonned by Audi, I doubt they will add new locations to it.
If the 3G+ uses Google Earth, does it mean you can load any location in the world?
read this

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-2010-Retrofit
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

you have hit the audi fanboy wall. Say anything negative and they go nuts.

Yes, the audi is a great car. But it has some very big flaws... Electronics that are very behind the times rather than ahead, unnecessarily complex (logical but complex) controls, squeeky brakes, 8 gears that don't always shift smoothly or consistently near a stop...and a few other minor issues.

Talk about these and you get slammed. Yes, maybe some of us are picky.. But we spent a huge amount for a car that should excel in all areas...especially electronics. Not having a2dp is inexcusable in a top of the line car!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radman2020
you have hit the audi fanboy wall. Say anything negative and they go nuts. Yes, the audi is a great car. But it has some very big flaws... Electronics that are very behind the times rather than ahead, unnecessarily complex (logical but complex) controls, squeeky brakes, 8 gears that don't always shift smoothly or consistently near a stop...and a few other minor issues. Talk about these and you get slammed. Yes, maybe some of us are picky.. But we spent a huge amount for a car that should excel in all areas...especially electronics. Not having a2dp is inexcusable in a top of the line car!
Don't forget the base Q5 electronics are 5 years old now... There is only so much they can retro fit.
Get into an A7/A6 with the latest generation and it is very much up to date... The next gen Q5 in a couple of years will bring it back up to speed.
I agree there are a few tweaks that could be made in other areas but that is true of any car - even a Rolls Royce...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

agree.. This is a 2 year old car though and a2dp has been in significantly more inexpensive cars for many years now. When this car was new, a2dp was already a mature technology. I couldn't believe it then!!

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Q5 MMI Upgrade?