Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Backup Camera announcement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g8tor20
... I am an attorney but don't deal with class actions but they do serve a purpose...
The only purpose I've seen class action lawsuits serving are the interest of the lawyers representing the so called class. I just received an email from Classmates saying that I may be entitled to $10 due to a class action lawsuit... and that the lawyers representing the case will be collecting 1.2 million for their valuable services...

I'll wait for my camera, thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by acarriles
The only purpose I've seen class action lawsuits serving are the interest of the lawyers representing the so called class. I just received an email from Classmates saying that I may be entitled to $10 due to a class action lawsuit... and that the lawyers representing the case will be collecting 1.2 million for their valuable services...

I'll wait for my camera, thanks.

I already agreed with your statement that the plaintiffs aren't the ones who really benefit (directly). But if you don't think the threat of class action lawsuits hasn't made an impact, then you are being a little shortsighted. Class actions (or the possibility of one) has made corporations self patrolling of their products. Toys are safer, products are less dangerous, manufacturing facilities are in better condition. These things don't just happen. They don't want the liability and the enormous sums of money that result from it.

Again, I am not a fan of the attorney's getting so much either. I'd rather more go to the Plaintiffs. But even so, would you be happy with a $20 coupon instead of a $10 one? In the end, I just prefer a safer environment.

Now back to the issue at hand....I knew of the problem before I bought so I don't have an issue. But I do sympathize with the folks who dealers didn't tell them anything (mine didn't say a peep) and then don't compensate the buyers when they take delivery...even if its a small compensation. Audi had no problem taking full value of the Navigation option and think they should justly compensate. But they wont....and then someone (like the above poster) will threaten a lawsuit and I imagine Audi will then do something about it. C'est la vie....
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I ordered my Q5 in July 2011, my dealership and salesman didn't even mention anything about the camera to me. After reading this thread, I am convinced that they knew about this issue, but decided to seal the deal and worry about it later. My Q5 is scheduled to arrive at the dealership at the end of October. I am hoping that the camera issue is resolved by then.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ordered mine in April 2011 the salesman never mention anything to me regarding camera issue. A couple of days before I picked up my Q5 on July 5th 2011,
I talked to my salesman about that thread on the missing chips and that is when he told me about the backup camera and it would take a couple of months.

Today September 14th 2011, I called him and now he tells me it that it will not be available until the first quarter of 2012.

He also admitted that Audi had chips to put in new cars to be sold but did not have any for cars already sold .I think that is pretty low for a company of that class??

I wish I could reverse that transaction without loosing , I would do it today.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Today I took delivery of my 2012 A6 Prestige with innovation package. The dealer informed me up front that the parking camaras wouldn't be available until 2012. All other functions -- night vision, side alerts, cruise control with the "keep a fixed distance from the car ahead" worked fine. It's an awesome car.

The only slight issue I have with it is this: I hate front license plates. They hugely diminish the car's appearance. My salesguy explained to me that taking the front license plate bracket off would affect the active distance control device which determines your selected distance from the car ahead while on cruise control. I don't find that to be a credible opinion. Anyone have info on that issue?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Keep in mind that, depending upon which state your car is registered in, front license plates may be mandatory?

If you are in a mandatory state, the salesperson is covering their butt, because it's against the law for them to sell the vehicle without the plate attachment.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in NJ and haven't had a front plate on either of my Corvettes in 10 years. It's a small price to pay (the fine) for not having a car that looks buck-toothed. I've never been pulled over for it or given a warning either. I'll pay the fine if I get a ticket without complaint because I made teh conscious decision to tempt fate.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

i guess it depends on where you live in NJ

i live in NJ too and on my 3rd day of ownership the wife drove past a cop going in the other direction without the front plate (they hadnt come into the dealer yet) and she said she could hear his tires squeal as he did a fast u-turn. she knew it was for her because after the turn he sped up and came up close behind her before backing off

guess it took that long to notice the t-tag on the back
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just wanting to update those who ready this. We have had 2 confirmed 2012 Q5's that have been delivered by Audi with the back up camera chip installed!! Mine comes this week and will report on whether mine came with it as well.

At least the shortage of chips seem to not be an issue anymore. How long it will take to get them retrofitted to already delivered cars is another issue.

But at least we have turned the corner.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Just wanting to update those who ready this. We have had 2 confirmed 2012 Q5's that have been delivered by Audi with the back up camera chip installed!! Mine comes this week and will report on whether mine came with it as well.

At least the shortage of chips seem to not be an issue anymore. How long it will take to get them retrofitted to already delivered cars is another issue.

But at least we have turned the corner.
If yours and a few more come in, it will be time to give my dealer a call.

Laissez les bon temps rouler

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Backup Camera announcement