Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 as a present to myself. Warning - repair work needed :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Q5 Repair Project

I know this may make some of you guys cringe seeing a poor q5 in this condition. Rest assured - it will look new again soon

Picked her up for $11500, just have a little bit of repair work to do 😃 36531km on it

Currently I'm 25 (maybe one of the youngest members to have a Q5?) working as a maintenance electrician making $120k+ per year. I'm hoping to have it done with a total price tag of $20k. Has everything on it except for B&O and headrest monitors.

BTW, why does the battery low indicator come on even though my battery charger says 100%? I can't start the engine at the moment due to a few issues (oil pressure sensor messed up, AC compressor pulley missing, tensioner bent, motor mount ripped apart).

Last edited by Telate; 03-29-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

May as well upgrade to a flat bottom wheel!

Welcome to the club!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You my friend are very ambitious!

But you have another owner here with a '13 Q5 who is 25 also! Lol

Best of luck man, a little TLC and she will be beautiful again.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Telate

Has everything on it except for B&O and headrest monitors.
Looks like a Premium or Premium Plus with Nav. Is the rear hatch auto? Looks like quite a project and if you can get it back on the road for anything close to $20K you'll have saved yourself a $7-8K...maybe a little more. Looks like a lot of labor to me...but I'm far from 25 nowadays. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Way back when I have been known to tackle projects, but this looks like much more project than I would want even IF 25

but the satisfaction of getting that done will go a long way to your future !

That center console looks just like our 11's but I see a start - stop button in that console too - Does it have the rear window shades ?

If so and USA, then must be a Prestige or at least P+....

good luck on tracing down those little gremlins hiding everywhere !!!

and keep us up to date on your build...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Looks like a Premium or Premium Plus with Nav. Is the rear hatch auto? Looks like quite a project and if you can get it back on the road for anything close to $20K you'll have saved yourself a $7-8K...maybe a little more. Looks like a lot of labor to me...but I'm far from 25 nowadays. Best of luck in your endeavor.

It is the Premium Plus with Nav (has side assist as well, no adaptive cruise - thank god, that module costs $1500...) Has the panoramic sunroof as well. Its a little bit of labour, but nothing I can't handle - I have someone that I get to do the pulling/painting for me - front horns are bent a bit. I'm actually in Vancouver, Canada - used ones here sell for around $44k, so its around half price. It is the 2.0t Premium Plus with Nav (has side assist as well, no adaptive cruise - thank god, that module costs $1500...).
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

There was a 2012 2.0T deer hit at my dealer last week with only 4K miles. $12.5K just in parts. No frame damage and no airbag use. Over $20K total cost to insurance. One interesting thing I learned, if you need the entire front, the S line front is cheaper because it is only (1) piece. Seems like all the engine accessories in front get wiped out and are quite expensive.
Good luck and we want to see the progress.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, big project!

So much for having any free evenings or weekends in the near future, best of luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
There was a 2012 2.0T deer hit at my dealer last week with only 4K miles. $12.5K just in parts. No frame damage and no airbag use. Over $20K total cost to insurance. One interesting thing I learned, if you need the entire front, the S line front is cheaper because it is only (1) piece. Seems like all the engine accessories in front get wiped out and are quite expensive.
Good luck and we want to see the progress.
No idea what this person actually hit - the hood and one fender is mint, the other fender is just kinked a little bit from being pushed over slightly - not worth replacing, just going to repair it. Actually the S-line bumper isn't cheaper, it may be one piece, but all the pieces are more expensive - bumper itself is cheaper($200), but components cost more (fog light grilles are $40 more each, grille is $200 more, ect.) It may take a while to get the parts to fix it, as I'm trying to source out parts instead of buying them all new (like an AC compressor that I got - $1000 new and I got a used one with 5000miles for $280)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you haven't worked on an Audi before, just know that the bodywork will be the easiest part! You'll need a service manual and a vag-com for the electronics, which will be very frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 as a present to myself. Warning - repair work needed :)