Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2010 Q5 3.2 rattle on start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 Q5 3.2 rattle on start

Hey everyone. First time Audi owner here and loving the vehicle so far. This is my first post - please take it easy on me

Recently purchased a 2010 Q5 3.2 with 110k km (68k miles). Vehicle had been serviced regularly at the dealer and one owner.

Last night I noticed for the first time a slight rate for a second or two on startup. The vehicle had only been sitting for a few hours. I started searching online and have been seeing many threads about the timing chain tensioner issue.

I realize I have provided minimal information, but is this something that could be possible at this point? Is it difficult for an indy to do the work? How costly is it if I take it to the dealer to replace the timing chain tensioner and guides to prevent failure?

Appreciate your help and guidance
Old 11-08-2020, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome. While the rattle on start up for the 3.2 is annoying, if the maintenance and mileage are true you should be fine for a while.
Timing chain/tensioners failing causing catastrophic damage on the 3.2’s are pretty rare. Dealer prices for a full timing chain tensioner service on a 3.2 varies but $3K is not unheard of. With an independent shop being closer to $2K. If it was me I would monitor the situation and either enjoy as is or sell/trade. I wouldn’t put that kind of money into what is now an 11 year old car with 2021’s now out. If you can do a repair like this yourself that changes things but not an easy job and requires special tools and experience.
The following users liked this post:
m4gician (09-24-2021)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the information. Definitely appreciated and helps calm my nerves a little. Are there any tell tale signs I should keep in mind for a worsening tensioner? I only use the vehicle for mostly driving in town and only put about 7,500km (4,600 miles) a year. Hopefully I can get 4-5 years (or more) of use out of this vehicle before the tensioner gets worse.

The vehicle just had an oil change at the dealership by the previous owner, but I plan to get the oil changes completed more frequently than the 1 year recommended in the vehicle MMI - the MMI has 14k km and 360 days for the next recommended oil change. I'd like to use Amsoil oil (I currently use it in our main family vehicle), and was wondering if there are any issues with this brand and the Audi engines?

Apologies for asking so much in this reply - just new and hoping to enjoy the vehicle for as long as possible Thanks.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Be mindful of the rattle getting louder and/or lasting longer at startup when cold or doing when warm etc.
Amsoil is a good choice. I would use the Euro 5-40 Full SAPS. Works fine and is cheaper than their mid SAPS oil.
Been using for years. Seems to run quieter than the Audicare Castrol and less oil consumption as well. Lower volatility.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the one year interval. I would be concerned about the 10K mile interval. Limit to 5K miles. Your timing chain and tensioners will appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
Moonlit Blue (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks again for the feedback. I went to try and reproduce the sound this morning and it started fine with no noise at all. It had been sitting overnight for over 12 hours. I’m hoping it’s just an intermittent thing but will pay attention with the colder weather and for any change in longevity of the sound.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Similar issue on the 3.0T supercharged motor and hopefully not on the 3.0T turbocharged motor since I have one.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yesterday when leaving work (vehicle parked for 8 hours) it made a rate sound almost like a loose heat shield for about 5 seconds. It came and went a few times but eventually went away after 10 seconds. That was the first time I heard a rattle in a few days.

I took a video of my engine running after a ten minute drive. It sounds like a diesel and not sure if this is normal for an Audi (I’ve been a Honda owner all my life).

This video is of the Q5 parked and idling after a 15 minute drive. I’m still getting used to the vehicle and hoping that the engine sounds like a normal Audi engine.

I’ve only had the vehicle for a week but now worried that I got myself a big headache with the engine

Thank you again for all your feedback.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Having difficulties posting the video
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here's the attachment. I think it was a size issue.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
Video.avi (1.53 MB, 114 views)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Let me try again with this attachment. Apologies for so many attempts.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (19.30 MB, 109 views)

Quick Reply: 2010 Q5 3.2 rattle on start