Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2010 Q5 15k miles - new front brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q5 15k miles - new front brakes??

I just took our 2010 Q5 in for it's 15k mile service today and they are telling me we are due for new front brakes and rotors at a cost of $771. 15k miles for brakes seems insane. Can you guys chime in with how many miles you had before your front (or rear) brakes needed replacement? Also, any thought on the cost? I've got a 15% off card so it'll bring the price down to $655 but that still seems high and I am going to check some local indy shops. I know it's not that difficult a job but I'm not interested or able to do them myself. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

That is quite soon, and probably less than half the life I'd expect from the front brakes. I would strongly doubt that at the rotors are done already (close to the minimum thickness), but it is possible that the pads are worn. Do you notice a lot of brake dust on the front wheels? If you haven't noticed any brake pulsation and can verify that the pads are worn, I'd be tempted to just replace the pads and leave the rotors.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scotes
I just took our 2010 Q5 in for it's 15k mile service today and they are telling me we are due for new front brakes and rotors at a cost of $771. 15k miles for brakes seems insane. Can you guys chime in with how many miles you had before your front (or rear) brakes needed replacement? Also, any thought on the cost? I've got a 15% off card so it'll bring the price down to $655 but that still seems high and I am going to check some local indy shops. I know it's not that difficult a job but I'm not interested or able to do them myself. Thanks!
Ha! My dealer told me that same thing at just shy of 25k. I currently have just over 42k and I'm still on the original set of pads and rotors. I know full well (from visual inspection) that my fronts are getting down close to the danger zone (rears should be ok for a bit), but the moral of the story is - get a second opinion. Not saying that every dealer is a thief, but if they have the opportunity to tack on extra/unnecessary services to bill you or Audi for while you're there for routine maintenance, they're going to most times - especially to an unsuspecting customer who may not be any bit mechanically inclined to know better.

On another note - my wife also has a Q5 (leased at the same time as mine) and she legitimately needed new pads and rotors at about 28k (I told her she breaks too hard/late too often and now I have proof!). So, it is definitely possible to need replacements sooner than "normal" IMO. I'd say "around" 30k is where most pads call it quits. Anyway, we got her brake work done by a local indy shop who did the whole job (both fronts pads and rotors; OEM parts; labor) for about $500. It's was well worth it when our dealer quoted about what they quoted you ($750ish). I would say though, whenever/wherever you have it done, do pads and rotors at the same time. Audi OEM rotors are thinner than some (to save unsprung weight I've heard some say) and they really intend for both to be replaced simultaneously. You may be able to squeeze another 5-8k outta the rotors after a new pad change but then when you finally need new discs, you'll need yet another set of pads to get proper "seating" and braking performance so you won't be saving anything at all in the end.

Good luck whatever you do!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and take it for a second opinion to an Indy.
We have 45k on our Q and no indication of needing pads anytime soon, much less rotors. Unless you ride the brakes and do lots of stop and go, 15k is much too soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Price is definitely on the higher end, but we're talking about the stealership here so I'm not completely surprised at their quote.

When it comes to do mine I'll be doing it myself (brakes are fairly easy to change if you've done it before). Prices on oem rotors I've seen are about 225 for the front (pair), and another 120 for oem pads. If you go aftermarket, prices are typically cheaper.

I'm fine sticking with the OEM rotors, but will definitely go aftermarket on the pads as I think they are way too grabby. I'm a big fan of Mintex or Ferrodo brand brake pads, just not sure if they make them for the Q.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems pretty early to me. I suppose if its all city driving an your an aggressive driver. I've got 21k on a 2011 but drive a lot of highway, maybe 70%. I'd be surprised if I didn't get 40k off the front brakes and 60k offf the backs but will see. it's my first audi. It does stop really well and there is absolutely no hint so far of any pulsing.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. I did think this was way too early - and the brake wear indicator of course hasn't come on. I've called a few indy shops and they are all at least $200 to $300 cheaper. I'm going to let it go for a while till the wear indicator comes on. Anyone have anybody they recommend on the west side in Los Angeles?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
That is quite soon, and probably less than half the life I'd expect from the front brakes. I would strongly doubt that at the rotors are done already (close to the minimum thickness), but it is possible that the pads are worn. Do you notice a lot of brake dust on the front wheels? If you haven't noticed any brake pulsation and can verify that the pads are worn, I'd be tempted to just replace the pads and leave the rotors.
hey NABS4, recently i was cleaning my rims and noticed that the front ones have more dust by far than the rear, what does this indicate?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

The brake pad sensor went off on ours at 25k miles.
I changed the pads and rotors myself. The cost was approx $315 total.

Last edited by Audirings4; 04-03-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
hey NABS4, recently i was cleaning my rims and noticed that the front ones have more dust by far than the rear, what does this indicate?
Front brakes are larger and work harder than the rears, this is normal

Quick Reply: 2010 Q5 15k miles - new front brakes??