Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

20" wheel options (OEM or aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
Personally, despite how "cool" some aftermarket wheels look, on certain cars, I'm a firm, firm believer in OEM units.

One would need to spend an inordinate sum to get an aftermarket wheel built to the same quality and performance standards as the factory wheel. In fact, even if you spent a ton, you still might never equal that quality. In this case, Audi makes millions of Q5 vehicles, sold around the world, with the same choice of wheels. I would venture a guess, that the biggest aftermarket wheel manufacturer might be lucky if they sold half as many wheels. TOTAL. Let alone, for a specific sub-model.

It's economy of scale, for the OEM.

And I certainly bought aftermarket rims for my cars, as a young punk. Despite the initial visual infatuation, the aftermarket rims never fared well in the long run.
My Q5 came with Ronal wheels. Does Audi make yours?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
All Q5 OE:

17's: 235/65-17 tire 8x17 wheel (ET??; found spec in Irish brochure; likely 39 given width) [17's may too small for the V6, hybrid or upcoming U.S. TDI front brakes; would need to be checked]
I run 17" winters on my 3.0T. AFAIK, all NA models use 330mm front brakes.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default 2013 specs showing differently

Originally Posted by NABS4
I run 17" winters on my 3.0T. AFAIK, all NA models use 330mm front brakes.
You have specific fitment success, but Audi's U.S. web site says the 2013 3.0T and 2.0T hybrid are 345mm front, 330mm rear. 2.0T standard somewhat smaller: http://models.audiusa.com/q5/detaile...ons?engine=131 (click on wheels/brakes tab on the page)

17's on A8's can go up to the 360mm brakes from experience, so it could well work. Perhaps more of a watch area with some non-OE wheels where wheel barrels may not be optimized to brake caliper shape and the fit is close.

Aside: I've seen a few spec's suggesting hybrid ones might actually be even a bit larger in front, but not what the U.S. web site currently shows.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NABS4
I've never had an issue with "aftermarket" wheels. OZ, BBS, HRE, etc. make quality wheels. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if Audi actually makes any wheels at all given they're in the business of building cars. Even cheap winter wheels (Sport Edition, Moda, MSW) have served me well, but I may have just been lucky.
Exactly. And as someone else said Ronal makes the factory wheels... considered average, at best, in teams of QC. I purchase almost everything for _function_. Looks are always in the eye of the beholder anyway. If the functionality is compromised, then I stay away.

But, I'm not planning to buy HRE, Fikse, ADV1, BBS or other wheels I run/have run on other vehicles I own but only b/c I don't want to spend $5k+ on a set of wheels for my wife's SUV. This is probably the "inordinate sum" that dougnash is talking about needing to spend to outperform the OEM wheels, but these wheels are significantly better than a set of one-piece Ronals.

Appreciate all the input on the wheels. If I can find a set of OEM 20s, I will probably get those, but I'm sure as heck not paying the dealer for them.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
My Q5 came with Ronal wheels. Does Audi make yours?
I don't think I was asserting that Audi made the wheels. If so, that wasn't my intent. But I'm pretty sure I indicated OEM, and that's the point, irregardless of the other semantics. Even if Dunkin' Donuts made the wheels for Audi, they are going to make millions of just one model, and those will be held to the higher overview of the manufacturer.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just happen to have some Audi OEM 20's with 255 45 r20 goodyear eagle RSA's in the garage if you live close....

they are shown in my gallery on the Q...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 04-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of good options and dont be afraid to go aftermarket if you know your desired offset.

I have had good experiences with VMR and BBS so far.

Im going to put my my oem B8 S4 wheels on the Q5 this week.

19x8.5 ET 43 "potato peelers" with OEM fit 10mm spacers from Black Forest Industries.

This will bring me in line with the same offset as the 20" package.

Mounting 255/19/50 extremecontact dws....should do the trick for getting that planted feel and sporty look.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dougnash
I don't think I was asserting that Audi made the wheels. If so, that wasn't my intent. But I'm pretty sure I indicated OEM, and that's the point, irregardless of the other semantics. Even if Dunkin' Donuts made the wheels for Audi, they are going to make millions of just one model, and those will be held to the higher overview of the manufacturer.
Sorry, I read NABS4's post and got confused for a minute. Yes I definitely agree with you about Audi holding its suppliers to a certain standard. All OEM parts meet a certain spec, whereas an aftermarket part (wheel in this case) may or may not meet spec.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
I just happen to have some Audi OEM 20's with 255 45 r20 goodyear eagle RSA's in the garage if you live close....

Welcome back... you lucky SOB. Wish I had a travel trailer
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo

Yeah, actually I am in a north DFW suburb.

However, I'm looking for something with a gunmetal or anthracite finish... I think they had this finish in the OEM wheel... just going to be tougher to find.

Adbender... I'm looking at VMR's right now, and have also heard very good things about them. Thanks for the affirmation.

Quick Reply: 20" wheel options (OEM or aftermarket)