Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2.0T Cold Idle Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T Cold Idle Speed

I have noticed on my new Q5 when starting cold the engine idles at 1400 RPM indicated. Not that unusual except it doesn't settle down to a normal 700 RPM until 2 to 3 minutes. When I put it into gear it does so without a bump or lurch, but it will make a lot of noise like a medium range vibration from the area of the transmission. When I release the brake to move away and it moves away similar to moderate throttle with no throttle applied. I would say the engine is developing a good amount of torque with no throttle at this stage. This is surprising and could cause an unintended move forward or in reverse before any throttle is applied. After three minutes warming everything is normal. This behavior occurs only when the engine is first started after completely cold. No problem unless the engine is totally cold.

I am concerned this is a potential safety issue and not normal. Does anyone with the same 2.0T have similar experience? Is there a bulletin from Audi on this problem? I live about 2 hours from the dealer and would have to leave it overnight for them to reproduce the problem. Probably no loaner so I need to have any information if they say they all do that. It is unlikely the dealer will have any new Q5's available to compare. MY Q5 has done this since I took delivery 5 weeks ago. Of course it was warmed up before I drove off the lot.

Perhaps there is a shipping setting that wasn't reset prior to delivery. My tires were still at 45 PSI when delivered so the dealer didn't do a thorough pre-delivery inspection. I really think this is a program issue with the engine management module. Any other thoughts?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've noticed similar behavior. The bottom line is, the 2.0T often produces more torque than one would expect at a given (throttle input, engine speed)... With that said, of all the small-displacement turbocharged vehicles that I've driven, I have to say that the 2.0T ranks as one of the better ones in terms of throttle-to-torque predictability. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

With that said, this should not be a safety issue. You should always be firmly applying the brake when changing gears, and cautiously letting off on the brakes until you know how the vehicle is reacting to it, especially in situations like tight parking spaces where a bit of unexpected movement could mean bad news.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks jdong. I agree with most of what you say. I always have the brakes firmly applied when shifting like you mentioned. It's the take off once I release the brake that surprises me. It starts moving out of the garage quickly and I have to immediately re-apply brake to slow it. I now know other Q5 owners experiencing similar behavior. Are you getting the noise when engaging the transmission in reverse or drive? I appreciate your input.

Like you I am impressed with the performance of this powertrain and other than this issue really like the Q5.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gr8ridn
Thanks jdong. I agree with most of what you say. I always have the brakes firmly applied when shifting like you mentioned. It's the take off once I release the brake that surprises me. It starts moving out of the garage quickly and I have to immediately re-apply brake to slow it. I now know other Q5 owners experiencing similar behavior. Are you getting the noise when engaging the transmission in reverse or drive? I appreciate your input.

Like you I am impressed with the performance of this powertrain and other than this issue really like the Q5.
Mine does the exact same things...both noise and lunge forward. My dealer has checked it and said everything was fine. I sort of assumed that the high idle for a few mins on cold start up was like an engine choke thing or something. I always try to just let it 'settle' until I pull away. Can't always do that, but in most cases I can.

Do you guys also notice an engine whining noise at lower rpms when accelerating slowly? The dealer said the engine sounds fine and runs exaxctly as it should. I've never had a motor sound like that, but it could just be the way this engine sounds...this is my first Audi so not sure if it is common. No other 2.0s on the lot to try either...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks palumbo. I see a pattern here. I will wait until the 5000 mile service to bring this up to the dealer. Funny thing is my daughter has a 2007 A3 2.0t that I service. It has never had this cold start high idle behavior. I know it's the BPY engine and this is the next generation 2.0T. Interesting.

Yes, I do hear a a whining noise at low speed. The first thing I thought was low power steering fluid, but it was at the proper level. I might be a sound associated with the variable valve timing new to this engine. All I know is Audi has refined this engine to turn out more power than the earlier version and at the same time make it more efficient. That's good progress.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gr8ridn
I have noticed on my new Q5 when starting cold the engine idles at 1400 RPM indicated. Not that unusual except it doesn't settle down to a normal 700 RPM until 2 to 3 minutes. When I put it into gear it does so without a bump or lurch, but it will make a lot of noise like a medium range vibration from the area of the transmission. When I release the brake to move away and it moves away similar to moderate throttle with no throttle applied. I would say the engine is developing a good amount of torque with no throttle at this stage. This is surprising and could cause an unintended move forward or in reverse before any throttle is applied. After three minutes warming everything is normal. This behavior occurs only when the engine is first started after completely cold. No problem unless the engine is totally cold.

I am concerned this is a potential safety issue and not normal. Does anyone with the same 2.0T have similar experience? Is there a bulletin from Audi on this problem? I live about 2 hours from the dealer and would have to leave it overnight for them to reproduce the problem. Probably no loaner so I need to have any information if they say they all do that. It is unlikely the dealer will have any new Q5's available to compare. MY Q5 has done this since I took delivery 5 weeks ago. Of course it was warmed up before I drove off the lot.

Perhaps there is a shipping setting that wasn't reset prior to delivery. My tires were still at 45 PSI when delivered so the dealer didn't do a thorough pre-delivery inspection. I really think this is a program issue with the engine management module. Any other thoughts?
gr8ridn - My 2.0T Q5 has the same behavior here near Houston Texas. I brought it in to the dealer to diagnose the noise on fast idle while in gear (I am not as concerned about the movement during fast idle). At first he did not hear it until I played him an audio file from my smart phone. He kept the car overnight and the mechanic heard it and looked for something loose under the hood, checked fluid levels, etc. Everything was fine so they checked another Q5 2.0T and it made exactly the same noise when cold and in gear(as did a Q5 2.0T loaner I got for my 5,000 mile service). They have contacted the factory technical people who say they have gotten other reports of the noise at cold idle and are investigating.

It is a shame such a great car has this one irritating noise... I guess that is why they make a volume control for the sound system.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe the transmission update for the 2nd to 1st downshift lurch all of us 2.0 owners experience will include this fix as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jdwheel1
gr8ridn - My 2.0T Q5 has the same behavior here near Houston Texas. I brought it in to the dealer to diagnose the noise on fast idle while in gear (I am not as concerned about the movement during fast idle). At first he did not hear it until I played him an audio file from my smart phone. He kept the car overnight and the mechanic heard it and looked for something loose under the hood, checked fluid levels, etc. Everything was fine so they checked another Q5 2.0T and it made exactly the same noise when cold and in gear(as did a Q5 2.0T loaner I got for my 5,000 mile service). They have contacted the factory technical people who say they have gotten other reports of the noise at cold idle and are investigating.
Thanks for this additional information. I can certainly live with it if it is normal and not a sign of a mechanical problem. With everyone responding that does seem to be the case. The good thing is it is only a cold start occurrence. After a couple of minutes it is gone. I guess the answer indeed is they all do that:-)
It will be interesting if the factory sees fit to issue a correction. I don't have any other gearbox issues, all is well. Please keep us updated if you hear of a factory fix.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Its normal

my 2009 audi a4 2.0t idles up on cold start. And that just helps the oil circulate and you should always give your car a few minutes to run before you take off.