Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

$700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Telate
I would suggest that when getting brakes done check the thickness of the rotor. If it is more than halfway to minimum, change them out with the pads. I have about 5mm left on the pads (no light yet) but my rotors are less than minimum thickness, so stock pads do eat the rotors.
Telate, just the man I was looking for. You will know the answer to this question: What is the thickness of the OEM pads and rotors on a 2012 2.0T? I measured mine a while ago, but had no reference point to determine how worn out they were.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parsec
Telate, just the man I was looking for. You will know the answer to this question: What is the thickness of the OEM pads and rotors on a 2012 2.0T? I measured mine a while ago, but had no reference point to determine how worn out they were.
I had to screenshot it since it wouldn't copy properly

Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Telate
I had to screenshot it since it wouldn't copy properly

First post I've seen regarding pad and rotor thickness. Thanks Telate, I am saving this image to my hard drive!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went to the dealership last week and exactly the same happens. My Q5 2.0T 2012 has only 25K and the dealer quote a front brake pad and rotor replacement for $730.. I'm shopping aroung in other Audi/VW independent shop and I found one that quote $620... I'm still looking around to find a better deal, although I still not convinced that the rotor are wore out to the minimum... I need to check for myself.

I'll keep you posted
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by core2673
I went to the dealership last week and exactly the same happens. My Q5 2.0T 2012 has only 25K and the dealer quote a front brake pad and rotor replacement for $730.. I'm shopping aroung in other Audi/VW independent shop and I found one that quote $620... I'm still looking around to find a better deal, although I still not convinced that the rotor are wore out to the minimum... I need to check for myself.

I'll keep you posted
The reason that Audi (and BMW for that matter) always replace rotors when they do a brake job is that even though the rotor may still be slightly above the minimum when the pads are worn out, they will most certainly fall below the minimum before the second set of pads wears out. The list prices for BMW and Audi pads are also ridiculous compared with aftermarket or OEM pads you can buy from other suppliers. Learn to do your own brake jobs (which are actually pretty easy) and you can save a LOT of money.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mhughett
Learn to do your own brake jobs (which are actually pretty easy) and you can save a LOT of money.
To replace rear brakes (Electro-Mechanical Parking Brake) need VCDS or VAS, without that it is impossible
This is an easy job if you know how
Brakes are one of the most important systems in the car, if you do not know what you're doing is better to leave it to the experts

Last edited by spijun; 02-19-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi service has to buy specific OEM parts from Audi, and they can't go to a 2nd party vendor to save money. Audi is only going to warranty their parts. You can always do things cheaper with other places that have lower labor rates, and getting other brands of parts.

We all have to make money in this world, guys.

Lots of people who buy Audi's are Doctors, Lawyers, and Corporate people who charge people a ton of money per hour for their time.

Are you worth it? Maybe yes and maybe no.

It's always the most convenient to go back to the dealership. Are they the cheapest? No. But time is money for everybody. It's always nice to have full service records in the Audi system. Should you ever need help or goodwill down the road, the records are there.

GM dealerships are charging $120 an hour for labor. So nothing is cheap, anyhere.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

jp-
"It's always the most convenient to go back to the dealership."
Not even always convenient. On my first (used) car, my father asked the dealer, who he knew personally, to make sure they put in new brakes for me.
The car and I went off to college and I couldn't figure out why it kept pulling to the left. The local Firestone dealer happened to be an honest guy, and conveniently near me. He said the dealer's fine certified mechanics had installed the front brake shoes backwards on the left front wheel. DUH?
That's when I learned to change my own brakes. I figured I couldn't do much worse than a dealership shop had.

Over the years I've heard all sorts of thieves saying I needed brakes on all sorts of cars. On the last one, the factory spec was 1mm on the pads. That's ONE mm. The guy says gee, you've only got a quarter inch, you really need brakes....Uh, no, that's six mm and I knew from many years in the same car that I could go some 4000 miles on each mm, which left me with more than four years to go before I'd need that brake change.

Knowledge is power.
That's why Audi is so secretive about everything.

Clean shops, nice uniforms, lots of certificates on the wall, these are all nice to see but they don't mean a shop is competent, reasonably priced, or even paying attention to your job.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5

Thanks for info on the specs.

As another marker, stealer quoted $1200 to do front rotors/pads. When asked how bad they were, "it will be a few days". When querying exactly how many mm was left, what the recommendation was, no info was forthcoming. This suggested BS.

Needless to say, repair not authorised.

Based on subsequent experience it was not required too.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've got warning message from dealer (25k) and recently got break pads warning inside car (32k).
I bought
2011 Audi Q5 Brake Pad Set - EUR1322A Akebono - $88.95
and replaced it my self, all operation took 1 hour, two front wheels 5 bolts each + 2x2 bolts for break pads.
no need to for special keys, the only useful thing is
Amazon Amazon
Disc Brake Pad Spreader
which helps to get more space for new break pads.

Quick Reply: $700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?