Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What does Audi Connect provide?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Sirius sources traffic data from NavTeq Traffic over satellite (Audi also sources NavTeq for the base nav maps and internal POIs). Google Maps started using Inrix in 2012 augmented by crowd sourcing. The red, yellow, green traffic overlay map indicators are pretty standard among the different nav/traffic providers.

Since Sirius Traffic is received over satellite and Google provides traffic over the internet along with their maps, the fact that you can receive traffic data when Audi Connect is disabled in the car would confirm that all traffic data is coming from Sirius.

Here's an Audi Nav recap as it is today:

Audi 3G MMI Nav Plus:
Nav Maps - NavTeq provided - loaded internally on hard drive - static
POI database - NavTeq loaded internally on hard drive - static
Traffic - Sirus satellite - dynamic

Audi Connect adds:
Google Earth overlay - internet provided - dynamic
Google online POI database search - internet provided - dynamic
Google Send to Map POIs - internet provided - dynamic
Google Street View - internet provided - static
Other Audi Media services - i.e. Weather, News, Parking, Gas prices, Events, etc. - internet provided by various sources, i.e. Inrix and others - dynamic
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I have used Audi Connect features once in my almost 3 months of ownership. I will not be paying $15/mo for it when the freebies expire. The traffic info is the important thing to me.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the choice to keep Audi Connect, or not, is good since one size doesn't fit all. I wonder what the renewal rate is? 50%-60%?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its dumb. Will not renew. Connection speed too slow and will grow increasingly obsolete. We have iPhones and iPads for this that are significantly better. Just another one of those “monthly” fees!

Last edited by skinzy; 02-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
Its dumb. Will not renew. Connection speed too slow and will grow increasingly obsolete. We have iPhones and iPads for this that are significantly better. Just another one of those “monthly” fees!
Totally agree, though the only thing I would miss is the "send to car" option from google maps. As convenient as it is, it's not worth the fees.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skinzy
Kinda harsh but I'm sure it's of value to some.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Totally agree, though the only thing I would miss is the "send to car" option from google maps. As convenient as it is, it's not worth the fees.
Exactly, send to car is super nice. I just don't know if it's a monthly fee nice.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yesterday, I received an email from Audi with an invitation to a "research event" being held later this month. It looks like one of the main topics is technology with emphasis on the navigation system, it's usage/functionality, Audi Connect and even renewal is one of the topics.

At this point, not sure if I'll go but the $300 is tempting.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xenonista
I think google also provides the traffic congestion overlay, which adds red, yellow, etc to roads and highways. If I'm not mistaken SiriusXM only provides discrete info, like accidents, construction and closures. Personally I'll buy the 30 month package when the trial expires; it's easily worth $15 a month to me. And the ability to send destinations to the car directly from google maps is incredibly useful IMO. I use it more or less every time I go someplace unfamiliar.
I can't send destinations from google maps to my car. When I do as stated in the Audi Connect site all I get is a blank screen when using the "google.com/maps/sendtocar" link. Are you using a different link?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
I can't send destinations from google maps to my car. When I do as stated in the Audi Connect site all I get is a blank screen when using the "google.com/maps/sendtocar" link. Are you using a different link?
There is an 800 number to call for Audi technology help. You might try it. I don't have it handy right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does Audi Connect provide?