Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thunder,

Thanks for explaining and the video. I like that. I had a big old Ford Thunderbird that did that when cornering but they were controlled by the turn signal. Definately not as sophisticated back then. I like the auto highbeam thing also. Give it try.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I got the VIM working easily. The first code worked perfectly.

I also added the motorway mod to adjust the headlamp low-beams on the interstate to show more of the road ahead of you. It stated in the code that the threshold was 90 mph however, not the (110kmh/68mph) that that other link showed. That will certainly be a very nice feature if you drive at higher speeds on the interstate at night, especially the way deer are around here.

I looked through lots of the menus on the long coding helper and decided to mix up a few things as well. I ended up disabling the wink, as it does look better. I also added the side markers (front & rear), rear markers, and fogs as running lights, in addition to the LEDs. These work when you keep the switch on auto. It's nice as well, because I was afraid that having the fogs on would automatically keep the NAV screen in the darker night-time mode, but when they are on with the auto setting that doesn't happen. (if you press the button to turn them on, it does). Now the map will just go dark when the headlamps kick on.

It looks and works great! I'm loving the VAG-COM (VCDS). I'd encourage anyone on the fence about getting one to pull the trigger, as it is well worth it.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting, I had missed the fog lights when turning and the gear display (which Ive missed since we've had the Q5.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure you guys try the Audi Drive Select options

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

Changes the car greatly IMO. First, the steering gets tighter which I like versus the loose wheel movement.

More importantly, driving in Dynamic mode changes the car's throttle response. It doesn't unleash extra power, but it will keep it in S mode and change the downshift and upshift points to make a much more aggressive driving style.

Even though I know it uses more gas, I keep it on Dynamic because once you get used to it.....well...you know.

I change it back to "comfort" setting while on long highway trips though.

Just thought I would share my thoughts. Love the VAG-COM!!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just read about a mod that lets you run your AC when you've left the car? Or is it just ventilation? Check it out.

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom_AuxVent2.html
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Make sure you guys try the Audi Drive Select options

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_ADS.html

Changes the car greatly IMO. First, the steering gets tighter which I like versus the loose wheel movement.

More importantly, driving in Dynamic mode changes the car's throttle response. It doesn't unleash extra power, but it will keep it in S mode and change the downshift and upshift points to make a much more aggressive driving style.

Even though I know it uses more gas, I keep it on Dynamic because once you get used to it.....well...you know.

I change it back to "comfort" setting while on long highway trips though.

Just thought I would share my thoughts. Love the VAG-COM!!
Thanks G8tor! I made this mod this morning. Loving it!

VAG-COM has been just about the best investment for modding I have made. Well, almost. But it's close!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Out driving around. The steering tightness I love. The gearbox, all it does is make the "D" drive into "S". I can do that on the shifter! Oh, well. I drive in Sport or Manual most of the time anyway when I want to drive. My big change is the APR tune anyway.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got the auto vent feature to work! I like it!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ozfst
I just got the auto vent feature to work! I like it!
So what does this mod do exactly? Is it just to keep the air blowing while the car is parked but the ignition off to keep the car cool? Or is it just vent air?

If it's A/C it would drain you battery pretty good if you set it for a long time.

Fill us in on what it does if you could. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
So what does this mod do exactly? Is it just to keep the air blowing while the car is parked but the ignition off to keep the car cool? Or is it just vent air?

If it's A/C it would drain you battery pretty good if you set it for a long time.

Fill us in on what it does if you could. Thanks!
Only for air circulation
Air conditioning can not be run without the engine on which the integrated compressor

Quick Reply: VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions