Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Undercarriage Panel Loose??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarriage Panel Loose??

Today after turning off the Q5 (just like any other day), I heard what sounded like air brakes releasing; " Psstcchhhhh... "

I took a moment to see if it happened again and it did. A quick look under the car tells the tale... water dripping onto the hot exhaust pipes (BLUE arrows) which I assume is from the A/C but they are coming from several locations -- is that normal?

Then I noticed the panel. The pic is from the passenger side looking up underneath at the panel. It has come detached; you can see the screws are missing/fallen out (RED arrows).

I also noticed the left and right side panels (where there is a seam) have a greasy substance all over the area (GREEN arrows).

It seems there's a lot of "stuff" going on in this immediate area that doesn't look right. I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm not going to even try to guess what's normal and what's not.

The obvious next step is a trip to the dealer, but I thought I'd post in here to see what sort of comments I can get from you guys examining the photo!

Please let me know your thoughts -- thanks!

RED = Panel screws missing
GREEN = Heavy grease areas
BLUE = Water drip locations
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jazzy; 07-26-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok; no comments?

Would anyone be willing to take a look under theirs and see if they have the same sort of water exits and grease on the flanks there (GREEN arrows), please?

I'd like to have some talking points before I take her in.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember seeing anything when I rebuilt my car 1.5 years ago...In fact, I don't recall seeing anything but brake lines under that cover that has grease on it. The one thats hanging down the clips could easily fall out if they aren't tightened all the way - its only like 1/2 turn to put them in.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

air swooshing sound. did you apply the e brake? if you did thats where the sound is coming from. if not then something is wrong
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry about the water. If you run the air-con you're going to get condensation at several different places if it's humid where you are.
I can't see where the grease could be coming from. Clean and recheck it later.
As for those two bolts, take it back to whoever changed the oil last time and point it out. They should be happy to replace them, quietly, to cover such a simple mistake.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQive
Don't worry about the water. If you run the air-con you're going to get condensation at several different places if it's humid where you are.
I can't see where the grease could be coming from. Clean and recheck it later.
As for those two bolts, take it back to whoever changed the oil last time and point it out. They should be happy to replace them, quietly, to cover such a simple mistake.
There is no reason to undo those bolts in the first place. There is a front cover and a rear cover. The one in question covers the crossbrace and tranny. The engine cover is joined to this piece by three screw on the opposite side.