Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Q5 3.0T steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Q5 3.0T steering noise

Hi everyone. I got my Q5 3.0 back in December last year, I enjoy the car so far but couple of things now really drives me nuts. Last night When I try to park my car with the audio off, I heared a zipping noise coming from the front wheels when turning left and right. It sounded like u blowing through a bottle, like a wind noise. The other problem I hated the most is how much rattling noise from the pano roof makes. I live in New York and the highway here sucks!!! I was on the interstate last night and every bump I went through I and hear that noise from the roof, drives me crazy. I lube the seals myself already, its seems like its coming back. Any body experiencing this on their Q5?
This a is a picture of my car
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
Hi everyone. I got my Q5 3.0 back in December last year, I enjoy the car so far but couple of things now really drives me nuts. Last night When I try to park my car with the audio off, I heared a zipping noise coming from the front wheels when turning left and right. It sounded like u blowing through a bottle, like a wind noise. The other problem I hated the most is how much rattling noise from the pano roof makes. I live in New York and the highway here sucks!!! I was on the interstate last night and every bump I went through I and hear that noise from the roof, drives me crazy. I lube the seals myself already, its seems like its coming back. Any body experiencing this on their Q5?
I live in northeast PA and customed ordered my 2014 Q5 without a pano roof just for that reason.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
2013 Q5 3.0T owner experiencing the same sounds that Audi1177777 describes coming from the turn of the steering wheel. My wife (primary driver) seems to think it's correlated to outside temp; the hotter and more humid, the more prominent the noise. Been thinking about waiting until the first check up to raise the issue (first service experience was less than fun), but it is pretty annoying to have for such a nice vehicle.

Thoughts/comments from others?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I definitely should not say that, but I don't seem to hear any noises. It may be that I'm just deaf or maybe my 2012 2.0T was nosier. 2012 had a very distinctive whistle that people were saying was coming from the steering wheel pump.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought I started a thread on the steering sound a few months ago, but can't seem to find it.

Anyways, yes I have the same issue and from what I remember a few others had it as well. I notice it most when driving slow and turning the wheel (i.e. parking lot, parking in garage, etc.). I believe it is coming from the electric steering motor. I think of it more of a electric buzz, but I can see how you would refer to it as a zip. It's on my list of things for them to look for my 5k service (only at about 2.4k right now).

I saw a picture of your Q and I wonder if maybe it's an S-Line issue. More resistance from turning the 20's - would make sense why some are experiencing it and some not.

Fortunately, I haven't had an issue with the pano roof.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove to work today and it seems like the noise is not there anymore. I was considering to take it to the dealer today but the noise went away. About the pano roof, I lubed the seal today and its not making any more rattling noise . I was wondering if the noise from the steering wheel is really correlated with the temperature outside because it was humid last night ? Its raining today and maybe that made it better? I dont think its the 20" wheels that cause that because i didnt hear the noise before. Doe yours still making this noise now? I heared it from a friend that the noise actually comes from the rubber joint that connects your wheel and steering rack and told me that u could have the dealer or yourself to spray some lubricants on it. I will see if the noise comes back later and I know that the noise from the roof will be. Just hated that happens in my first Audi...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

same problem here on steering noise, any update?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

yep, i got it too, on a 14 Q5 3.0T P+ with 19" wheels. it sounds like a faint medium pitch drone, like someone blowing into a glass bottle as OP described, but with an element of friction. it typically happens when i'm backing out of my parking spot in my garage and turning the wheel at low speeds.
i'm at 15k now and am gonna bring it in for service soon - give me a week or two. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

its just weird, just started today when weather reached 80 degree here in NYC. I think its weather related.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

80-90* and dry here today in socal, and didn't notice the noise. it's odd - haven't figured out when it does and when it doesn't happen.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q5 3.0T steering noise