Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sound system defaults

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system defaults

I have a 2015 Q5 TDI (w/o Nav). Some of the defaults on the sound system are frustrating (to me at least).
For one, on satellite radio I want to see the song information. But I have to navigate back to the "info" screen every time I start the car.
For another, the starting volume seems to be preset. It would be better if the volume stayed at the level it was when I last turned the vehicle off.
Finally, when I use my iPod for music the display always starts with the alphabetically first artist in the "Artist" level of the iPod's menu. I would prefer to start at the top level iPod menu so I can select whether to play by genre, play a podcast, or something else.
I've searched - without success - in the manual for ways to change these settings. Can they be changed with VAG COM?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

*2014*
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lazyS4
I have a 2015 Q5 TDI (w/o Nav). Some of the defaults on the sound system are frustrating (to me at least).
For one, on satellite radio I want to see the song information. But I have to navigate back to the "info" screen every time I start the car.
For another, the starting volume seems to be preset. It would be better if the volume stayed at the level it was when I last turned the vehicle off.
Finally, when I use my iPod for music the display always starts with the alphabetically first artist in the "Artist" level of the iPod's menu. I would prefer to start at the top level iPod menu so I can select whether to play by genre, play a podcast, or something else.
I've searched - without success - in the manual for ways to change these settings. Can they be changed with VAG COM?
Not sure if it's different when you have Nav, but mine always shows song info when using Sat radio. Have you gone to the settings and checked artist info? Mine also will stay at previous volume when starting car.
I have the red cable for iPod. Is your's blue? May make a difference, as mine will start at the top of the iPod's menu.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the 30 pin iPod cable that came stock with the car; but how would a different cable affect the menu?
Do you leave your iPod in the glove box? I notice the issue only when I reconnect the iPod after removing it from the car to sync. When I leave the iPod connected, it opens with the same menu level that was open when I last turned the car off.
Originally Posted by Rlk1
Not sure if it's different when you have Nav, but mine always shows song info when using Sat radio. Have you gone to the settings and checked artist info? Mine also will stay at previous volume when starting car.
I have the red cable for iPod. Is your's blue? May make a difference, as mine will start at the top of the iPod's menu.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyS4
but how would a different cable affect the menu?
it doesn't. the only thing the red-grommet cable gives you over the blue one is album art and video functionality on specified ipods/iphones.

i don't listen to satellite so i can't empathize with you. i also prefer the auto-volume thing when you turn the car off. when i am jamming to something as i arrive home, i never turn the volume down before i shut the car off. and in every other car, it would scare the hell out of me when i start it up in the morning. now to your last point, that defintely bugs me. for me, when i take the ipod out and put it back in the car, the 1st song that plays is the 1st song in my 1st playlist. i know how to address it, i just haven't done it yet.

one other thing, every once in a while when i would start the car, the shuffle setting for the ipod would reset to off. i had to turn shuffle on almost every time i started the car. however, the stereo has started saving that setting and shuffle is always on now - at least for the last couple weeks. i don't know if the system learned that or what. not complaining though.