Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI vs SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the TDI and have no regrets - as another poster said - it's not my fun car though. I have a Miata for hooligan activities. The TDI is really amazing on the road - it just eats miles and returns ridiculous MPG with passing power that rarely ever needs a downshift.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I went for the TDI and have no regrets - as another poster said - it's not my fun car though. I have a Miata for hooligan activities. The TDI is really amazing on the road - it just eats miles and returns ridiculous MPG with passing power that rarely ever needs a downshift.
sorry for my stupid question...
did you compare MB GLK 250 Bluetec with Q5 TDI before you made decision?
my GF really loves GLK250 it's on our list for next year.... so just my curiosity as diesel vs diesel...
appreciated, Q5 TDI
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by David&Niki
sorry for my stupid question...
did you compare MB GLK 250 Bluetec with Q5 TDI before you made decision?
my GF really loves GLK250 it's on our list for next year.... so just my curiosity as diesel vs diesel...
appreciated, Q5 TDI
I did, there really is no comparison. The small 2.1l 4 cyl Bluetec is outmatched in every way by the Audi 3l V6. The GLK feels very cheap also. If my choice was to buy the GLK or nothing...seriously I would have bought nothing.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sdiver68
I did, there really is no comparison. The small 2.1l 4 cyl Bluetec is outmatched in every way by the Audi 3l V6. The GLK feels very cheap also. If my choice was to buy the GLK or nothing...seriously I would have bought nothing.
thanks sdiver68... my lord i know that GLK doesn't match up with 3.0 V6 TDI Q5 however the new version has twin-turbo and actually it gives out good torque somehow...
you really think GLK "feel cheap" ? from exterior i image ?
Don't forget GLK does save some bucks on fuel-efficiency.

Last edited by David&Niki; 07-18-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Before I bought my DQ5 I was weighing whether to stay with my Jeep Grand Cherokee or buy the SQ5.I did a good deal of thinking about this and came up with the idea that I was not getting younger....Soon I will be retired and will have to manage my money nore carefully. If I can afford what I really want without depriving my family, I should go ahead and buy it. Life goes by so fast, and most of us have to make sacrifices for most of our adult lives, so when we can afford to do something like this without a guilty conscious, I say follow your heart.
Besides, if you get the TDI when it's the SQ5 you really want, you will not be happy with it, won't take good care of it, and you'll get slammed when you turn it in or sell it at end of lease
Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

If this is your fun car, the SQ5 is going to be funner than a TDI. I went with TDI for the following reasons:

- Not my "fun" vehicle
- Towing my "fun" motorcycles to the track is a priority. Sometimes that means 1000 miles each way such as going to Daytona. Diesels excel at low rpm, high mpg, effortless towing
- I know I'm in the large minority here...but I actually prefer the looks of the non-S
- mpg is more important to me than 1 sec 0-60
- over a 5 yr life including fuel costs, the TDI will be approx $10k cheaper
- the US does not even get the real SQ5. Ours has compromised suspension and a gas engine. Switching out the suspension on either is the same cost.

In my long enthusiasts experience with everything cars and cycles...different reasons for different people. Those are mine and mine alone...everyone who has the S loves it.
You nailed it...that was basically my reasoning as well....... I could have chosen the SQ5, but it isn't nearly nimble enough for me....Plus, I already own a race car for "fun" .....

To me, the Q5 is ideal because of its versatility and size, which the TDI compliments perfectly...

So...The TDI wins for all the reasons you listed and a few more in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
Before I bought my DQ5 I was weighing whether to stay with my Jeep Grand Cherokee or buy the SQ5.I did a good deal of thinking about this and came up with the idea that I was not getting younger....Soon I will be retired and will have to manage my money nore carefully. If I can afford what I really want without depriving my family, I should go ahead and buy it. Life goes by so fast, and most of us have to make sacrifices for most of our adult lives, so when we can afford to do something like this without a guilty conscious, I say follow your heart.
Besides, if you get the TDI when it's the SQ5 you really want, you will not be happy with it, won't take good care of it, and you'll get slammed when you turn it in or sell it at end of lease
hum...i've started my first full-time job since last year so when i read through your post it did enlighten me from some point. i'm driving a MY14 Q5 now however i wish i could have afford a SQ5...not now but later on~
Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

we drove them both back to back a few times....
the TDI was nice...minimal grin factor and a nice ride
SQ5 big grin factor...
SQ5 is on order
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I
- the US does not even get the real SQ5. Ours has compromised suspension and a gas engine. Switching out the suspension on either is the same cost.
So I assume you have spent a lot of time comparing the EU version and the US version on the road then, so you know what you are talking about, yes?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=sdiver68;24587833
[/QUOTE]

I can't resist chiming in on this. Let me firstly say that, if I had a choice of the row SQ5, i.e., the biturbo TDI, I would jump at it. However, the US spec SQ5 is a pretty darn good alternative. Yes we give up plenty of low end grunt but that 354bhp feels pretty good to me.

Who is to say what is real? The only compromise that I'm aware of is the ride height which probably makes a difference if you're driving at the limit but, in the driving that I do, it's very stable and comfortably firm. Yes I would prefer the looks if it were 1.3" or so lower but I still love driving it every time I get in it.

Steve

Quick Reply: TDI vs SQ5