Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI destroys 3.0T in 8th Gear Acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thread title might be viewed as challenging to those who have the 3.0t which might prompt opposite viewpoints.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people think we buy a diesel to save on fuel and we expect the recoop the initial cost over the period of ownership. This is not true for most people.

A diesel is better suited for everyday driving. It has loads of low end torque to get you off the line quick if you need to in the city driving and on the highway, you ALWAYS have loads of power to push you along when you need it because in everyday real world driving you are usually somewhere between 1200-3000 rpm and that is where a diesel really shines. How often do you rev you engine within 2000 rpm of redline on a gas motor? and when you do that what happens to your gas mileage? Don't get me wrong, i love revving an engine out and bouncing it off the redline, especially a gas engine but how often do i do it? not nearly enough. When i can get more acceleration out of a diesel...ephemeral compared to a gas engine but my fuel mileage does not suffer as much as it would in a gas engine cruising 20 above the speed limit or flooring it every time i get onto a highway that is the obvious choice for me.

I'm also using less fuel for, thus better for the environment and using a more efficient engine with less waste. When I want to experience insane acceleration at 14k rpm, i hop on my s1000rr and boy oh boy is that fun (and still gets decent mileage, avg of 35mpg)

Lastly, my 335d has averaged abou 32-33mpg. If I drove a 335i the way I drove the d, I'd be seeing about 22-23mpg....oh and i got my 335d for cheaper than you could buy a 335i at the time. ($4,500 eco credit) So I didn't have any initial costs to recoop.

When I had my 3.2, I was averaging about 18-19mpg. My 2.0t is averaging now about 20-21mpg. those numbers are fairly accurate for what they get on the combined cycle. The Q5 3.0 TDI is supposed to get a combined of 27 and city 24. I have two diesel vehicles and they ALWAYS achieve epa rating or beat them. How often does a gas vehicle achieve epa ratings or better them? And I'll have almost twice the torque of those engines for when I need to pass or go up a hill or tow something.

I can't wait for my tdi to come in.

It's funny though, these same arguments happened on e90post when 335i drivers called 335d owners stupid for spending more money on an inferior performing product so this is nothing new to me that 3.0t owners can't understand why tdi owners would pay a premium for a vehicle that may fall behind a few tenths 0-60 or 1/4 mile. But ask which owner is happier with their purchase. The tdi driver will have no regrets....(till your dpf ****s on you but thats another story...i digresss)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josedebardi
I find even in D if I floor it w/o KD it still drops a lot of cogs... The KD button is almost pointless as far as I can work out!
Jose, I checked last night and in "S" at 45mph kickdown goes to 3rd@3600 RPMs, while w/o kickdown it goes to 4th@3000, in my TDI. So there is indeed a difference, as we would have expected but maybe not realized. Again, I'm sure there are speed/RPMs where it doesn't make a difference, but at least at that one spot I tried it did.

and since I was trying to do a controlled test, I made use of cruise control. As you likely know, when cruise control is activated in "S" mode, it will still use the higher gears, so it was doing 45 in "S" in 8th gear before I floored it each time. This tranny does a great job of downshifting to whatever gear it needs without any hesitation/multiple changes - quite impressive.

Last edited by Mark P; 11-26-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
The thread title might be viewed as challenging to those who have the 3.0t which might prompt opposite viewpoints.
Absolutely
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Agreed
Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
Jose, I checked last night and in "S" at 45mph kickdown goes to 3rd@3600 RPMs, while w/o kickdown it goes to 4th@3000, in my TDI. So there is indeed a difference, as we would have expected but maybe not realized. Again, I'm sure there are speed/RPMs where it doesn't make a difference, but at least at that one spot I tried it did. and since I was trying to do a controlled test, I made use of cruise control. As you likely know, when cruise control is activated in "S" mode, it will still use the higher gears, so it was doing 45 in "S" in 8th gear before I floored it each time. This tranny does a great job of downshifting to whatever gear it needs without any hesitation/multiple changes - quite impressive.
Would be interesting to see the torque curve for the rev band... I wander if 4th @ 3000 its higher than 3rd @ 3600 as it reaches the higher end of the revs and torque drops off...
Did you notice any discernible difference in acceleration?
I keep finding in mine that it often feels like it pulls harder if you happen to catch one higher gear than is theoretically possible - which is no surprise as a KD that starts you at 4500 for example you are using only the last 500rpm where the TDI is for sure running out of puff!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by josedebardi
I wander if 4th @ 3000 its higher than 3rd @ 3600 as it reaches the higher end of the revs and torque drops off...
You seems to think that if torque is hgher in next gear (for same road speed), acceleration will be greater. This is incorrect.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
You seems to think that if torque is hgher in next gear (for same road speed), acceleration will be greater. This is incorrect.
How so? Maths please...
Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I realise that the lower gear gives greater output torque given the same input torque...
But as the engine is giving greater input torque given it's lower rpm we would need the gear ratios coupled with the torque map of the engine to work out if the output torque in the two sample gears is indeed higher or lower at the same road speed, and output torque of the gearbox is equal to acceleration AFAIK...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Many people think we buy a diesel to save on fuel and we expect the recoop the initial cost over the period of ownership. This is not true for most people.

A diesel is better suited for everyday driving. It has loads of low end torque to get you off the line quick if you need to in the city driving and on the highway, you ALWAYS have loads of power to push you along when you need it because in everyday real world driving you are usually somewhere between 1200-3000 rpm and that is where a diesel really shines. How often do you rev you engine within 2000 rpm of redline on a gas motor? and when you do that what happens to your gas mileage? Don't get me wrong, i love revving an engine out and bouncing it off the redline, especially a gas engine but how often do i do it? not nearly enough. When i can get more acceleration out of a diesel...ephemeral compared to a gas engine but my fuel mileage does not suffer as much as it would in a gas engine cruising 20 above the speed limit or flooring it every time i get onto a highway that is the obvious choice for me.

I'm also using less fuel for, thus better for the environment and using a more efficient engine with less waste. When I want to experience insane acceleration at 14k rpm, i hop on my s1000rr and boy oh boy is that fun (and still gets decent mileage, avg of 35mpg)

Lastly, my 335d has averaged abou 32-33mpg. If I drove a 335i the way I drove the d, I'd be seeing about 22-23mpg....oh and i got my 335d for cheaper than you could buy a 335i at the time. ($4,500 eco credit) So I didn't have any initial costs to recoop.

When I had my 3.2, I was averaging about 18-19mpg. My 2.0t is averaging now about 20-21mpg. those numbers are fairly accurate for what they get on the combined cycle. The Q5 3.0 TDI is supposed to get a combined of 27 and city 24. I have two diesel vehicles and they ALWAYS achieve epa rating or beat them. How often does a gas vehicle achieve epa ratings or better them? And I'll have almost twice the torque of those engines for when I need to pass or go up a hill or tow something.

I can't wait for my tdi to come in.

It's funny though, these same arguments happened on e90post when 335i drivers called 335d owners stupid for spending more money on an inferior performing product so this is nothing new to me that 3.0t owners can't understand why tdi owners would pay a premium for a vehicle that may fall behind a few tenths 0-60 or 1/4 mile. But ask which owner is happier with their purchase. The tdi driver will have no regrets....(till your dpf ****s on you but thats another story...i digresss)
You described the experience exactly. The folks on clublexus thought I was crazy when I traded a 2006 Lexus IS350 for my current 2012 Passat TDI. Now looking at the Q5 TDI.

Quick Reply: TDI destroys 3.0T in 8th Gear Acceleration!