Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Noob, looking at Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Noob, looking at Q5

Hi all this is my first post in this or any other Audi forum. I'm looking to purchase a new Q5 in the next few months. I currently own a BMW 335 I coupe, but since the family is about to grow, I need a bigger sized car. My wife and I are debating between the new A6 versus the new Q5. As my title says, I am new to the Audi world. I have owned BMWs since the last 10 years, so I'm familiar with the BMW platform and and model numbers. However, I'm starting to get familiar with the Audi model numbers and model dates. I have three questions which I'm hoping to get help from on this forum.

1. Is there a sticky for newbies like me to get information about the Q5 model year, when is it going to be replaced by a new model, standard options, must have features etc. Bimmerpost had some nice stickies to get new members on boarded.

2. Is there a sticky around Audi leasing ? I want to lease the Q5, but wanted to be aware of negotiation attributes such as money factors, residual, invoice etc.

3. Last question, any personal thoughts on performance, handling, driving pleasure for the new Q5 versus the A6?

Thank you
Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard.

1. You'll find plenty of discussion about the next Q5 on this board; I suggest you run a search. In summary, Audi is building a brand new plant for the next Q5 in Mexico; we'll likely see the new model sometime in early- to mid-2016.

2. Ditto leasing discussions abound - try a search.

3. If you're coming out of a 335i, you might find the 3.0 Q5 a bit on the tame side (not to mention the 2.0T). Not that I'm in any way biased but it seems to me that the SQ5 will give you the the sportier and firmer handling that you're used to as well as the straight line performance (0-60 in 4.8 and 60-0 in 104 ft). If you're sticking to a sedan, I suggest you look at the S6 vs the A6.

Good luck,

Steve
Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmode
any personal thoughts on performance, handling, driving pleasure for the new Q5 versus the A6?
I'd get neither, especially if you're used to a 335i coupe. Get either the SQ5 or the S4, and between these two the S4 is better if it fits your needs.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks both. I know the Q5 will be a little soft coming from the 335i, but I have already tempered my expectations. SQ5 would be nice, but both the price and the mpg is prohibitive. How about the Q5 3.0 ? I am assuming that will at least be somewhat performance driven.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

3.0T is a great engine and you can easily tune it to get the SQ5 numbers. I have the 3.0T but if I was buying today I would probably get the TDI.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmode
Thanks both. I know the Q5 will be a little soft coming from the 335i, but I have already tempered my expectations. SQ5 would be nice, but both the price and the mpg is prohibitive. How about the Q5 3.0 ? I am assuming that will at least be somewhat performance driven.
With the Audi Drive Select (ADS) in Dynamic mode the 3.0T is. The suspension tightens up nicely and it handles curves well. ADS only comes with the S-Line Plus package I believe. I think the non ADS 2.0 and 3.0 have the same suspension and wheel set up so would handle about the same.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the q5 is a great alternative if you are looking for sporty fun and storage in one vehicle. My a6 has some luxuries that a fully loaded q5 does not have. For instance the center dash of my a6 is better then what I will get in the q5. However the MMI screen seems to be rather comparable. There are things not available to the q5 platform that the a6 does have. Like LED lights. I still find the q5 is a great car for the price. Hence the reason I ordered one for the wife. Just gotta ask yourself if you need the storage of a q5 as if you don't, go for the a6. I can't speak on the other opinions of the A4 or s4 due to your previous car. I have been in Audi for 7+ years now and it has been even longer since I had a BMW.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome..I'm an Audi Noob who recently purchased a new (to me) 2011 Q5
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Re #2: "Is there a sticky around Audi leasing ? I want to lease the Q5, but wanted to be aware of negotiation attributes such as money factors, residual, invoice etc."

Keep in mind that unlike BMW there is no way for another party to assume your lease if you decide to back out early (Audi will let you transfer the lease but you'll still remain financially liable, so it's really not a viable option). Leasing with Audi is very much a commitment to pay the entire amount of the lease vs. the ability to transfer the lease that BMW offers (and that they do quite a good job of handling).

Also, Audi residuals tend to be low for the Q5. Good in that you'll often have positive equity back at the end of your lease. Bad because you're basically providing a short term interest-free loan to Audi for money that should instead be in your pocket if the residuals were more appropriate for the car's (relatively high) resale value.