Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I just weighed my S4 at the local track and mine is about 200lbs over the spec.(I accounted for the difference between my weight and the 75kg European driver. I assume my options account for the rest of the difference? (19" + nav + sport diff...)
Tech specs are usually a dry weight - may or may not include coolant and oils. Would definitely be measured empty fuel. May not include spare tyre. Definitely no driver!
- an empty fuel tank is worth 60kg (130lbs) straight away...

Some larger wheels can reduce unsprung mass (rubber is heavy), so I wouldn't immediately blame the 19's for a weight increase. Nav and sport diff would only add a few kg's.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Tech specs are usually a dry weight - may or may not include coolant and oils. Would definitely be measured empty fuel. May not include spare tyre. Definitely no driver!

Some larger wheels can reduce unsprung mass (rubber is heavy), so I wouldn't immediately blame the 19's for a weight increase. Nav and sport diff would only add a few kg's.
Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

This definition may differ from definitions used by governmental regulatory agencies or other organizations. For example, many European Union manufacturers include the weight of a 75 kilogram driver to follow European Directive 95/48/EC.

I'm figuring Audi uses the European 75kg driver version. I think someone once mentioned the sport diff adds 80lbs...but I have no definitive info on that.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted in another thread the weight difference was like 68 pounds.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres

Originally Posted by gk1
Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

This definition may differ from definitions used by governmental regulatory agencies or other organizations. For example, many European Union manufacturers include the weight of a 75 kilogram driver to follow European Directive 95/48/EC.

I'm figuring Audi uses the European 75kg driver version. I think someone once mentioned the sport diff adds 80lbs...but I have no definitive info on that.

FROM AUDI:
* Fahrzeugleergewicht mit Fahrer 68kg, Gepäck 7kg und Kraftstoffbehälter zu 90% gefüllt, ermittelt nach der EG-Richtlinie 92/21/EWG in der gegenwärtig geltenden Fassung. Durch Sonderausstattungen können sich das Leergewicht und der Luftwiderstandsbeiwert des Fahrzeugs erhöhen, wodurch die mögliche Nutzlast bzw.
Höchstgeschwindigkeit entsprechend verringert wird.

Google translate:

* Vehicle curb weight includes driver 68kg, 7kg luggage and fuel tank 90% full, calculated according to the EC Directive 92/21/EEC in the currently as amended. Optional equipment's unladen weight and drag coefficient of the vehicle whereupon the possible payload can increase etc.
Top speed will be reduced accordingly
Weight is always refers to the base model, without additional equipment
The difference can be up to 250 kg of the same car with different equipment packages

Last edited by spijun; 05-26-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

If weight and center of gravity are of such concern, why drive a Q at all? Get an S4.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
If weight and center of gravity are of such concern, why drive a Q at all? Get an S4.
If weight and center of gravity are of such concern, why drive an S4?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, some people do not fit into s4/s5 or alike. But in SQ5 without sunroof I have few inches of space above my head.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good grief! 104 kgs? I can now imagine how much better handling would be without that weight up there. Pano roof delete probably affects resale though. Someone should go with the delete and fit a CF roof up there.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
If weight and center of gravity are of such concern, why drive an S4?
I agree with your point. Although S4 wouldn't be my personal choice.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I find the handling of my Q with pano roof just great; with what I need it to do even in spirited driving - we go to the mountains quite a bit and I run away from most people there. Could I use more cornering g's - of course, but for an suv it suits me more than fine and most people who ride along for the first time give the roof 2 thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Weight