Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
red amber or orange are the best colors for interior lights, they are not hard on your eyes and are easy to read.

Let me ask you,

in a fighter jet, what color are the instruments?
I've honestly never seen the inside of a fighter jet. I currently have an Acura and the lighting is blue and it just seemed a bit easier to look at. I might also just be use to looking at blue lighting and will need to adjust.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanw
I've honestly never seen the inside of a fighter jet. I currently have an Acura and the lighting is blue and it just seemed a bit easier to look at. I might also just be use to looking at blue lighting and will need to adjust.

Thanks.
I had an Acura TL Type S before this and it had red lights instead of blue because it was the sport version. So when I got the Q5 with the red lights it was obviously an easy switch. I can tell you as a pilot in training that red lights are easier to read at night than blue and don't mess up your night vision as much. Thats why the military uses red flashlights at night.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had cars with white, blue and red and it is all about getting used to it.

I prefer red for night drive (that is half on my 1200 miles driving conditions while going to Utah) as like others have said, red requires less time from eye to adjust.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
the part that goes little bit over the board is combining the knee steering and manual shifting as I assume you use your left knee to steer while right is on gas so I doubt, even with all mascara and bunned / plated hair you are skilled enough to do the rev matching and shift on fly without clutch.
Sorry Kleinbus I should have been clearer. I was talking about the Q5 in manual mode and using the gear shifter.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

......I was talking about the Q5 in manual mode and using the gear shifter.

No worries, just be careful so you don't slip your red lipstick to your cheek while steering with your knee and someone cuts you off...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you are in love with the techie parts of the car and not the driving thrill of the car...which is basically the reason why most people buy an Audi...they want to DRIVE the car and have fun...not just ride in the car (Ford) and have fun playing with the non-essential parts of the car (Sync, etc).

So, bottom line. Do you want to be a Driver or a Rider who plays?

I'll stick to driving and use what Audi provides.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...which is basically the reason why most people buy an Audi... they want to DRIVE the car and have fun... not just ride in the car (Ford) and have fun playing with the non-essential parts of the car (Sync, etc).....

That is so spot on!

I get reminded about that every time when I drive friends and relatives Fords and GM products with soft suspension that makes me feel I'm sitting on couch and in no time I'm just waiting to get back to my own car.

Each serves their own purpose so be sure you know what you want.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stanw
Thanks everyone for all of your responses, a lot of it is helping with my decision.

I test drove the Q5 last night, first time at night and was not sure how I felt about the red lighting that display in the console and center console area. I'm guessing that can not be adjusted?
Audi's interior lighting looks better than any other car I have ever owned. I have gotten many positive commands on it and some people are just amazed at how nice the Audi interior lights up.