Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
To each his own. I take it you ordered your vehicles sans sound system?
there are many times where i don't drive with any music, just listen to the engine and the road and the wind go by. i never blast music super loud that i can't hear anything. if anything its a quiet undertone.

music is one thing, ur sense of hearing isn't used much while driving, reading a text message and thinking to respond and fighting with voice recognition while driving, bad idea. i'm sorry i live in NYC, our roads are terrible narrow and curvy, always full of traffic, there is no time for that unless you want an accident to happen.

You realize that with German cars, they're built for people that enjoy driving. hell my BMW's one cupholder is out of immediate reach of the driver.

just my .02 cents cause there are people who can multi-task behind the wheel and are decent drivers. my cousin had a G35 Stick, He would drive it, go around a corner talking on his cellphone to his ear while eating a bagel and shifting gears. not bad at all! but not safe either, mind you he lives in florida...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own. I take it you ordered your vehicles sans sound system?

Coolie is right with this topic.

I hope you are not one of those "no hear no see" who blast music while texting and fighting the stuck voice command system and while focusing to everything else than the main task itself, the driving, you endangerer others on the road. Those folks are always the last ones to see the emergency lights and vehicles approaching and so on.

Last edited by kleinbus; 09-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mpraju
Agree with not wanting Microsoft in my car. I dont want to be bothered with questions like "Are you sure you want to listen to this Song? Yes No Cancel" and seeing Blue Screens.

Audi uses QNX in the new A8 MMI as an operating system which is awesome. It is also going to be used in the new Blackberry tablet - Playbook. So it will probably have seemless integration with your cell phone .
I've been working with QNX for the last year on a few projects. ;-)
The Playbook is going to be a very interesting device.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
there are many times where i don't drive with any music, just listen to the engine and the road and the wind go by. i never blast music super loud that i can't hear anything. if anything its a quiet undertone.

music is one thing, ur sense of hearing isn't used much while driving, reading a text message and thinking to respond and fighting with voice recognition while driving, bad idea. i'm sorry i live in NYC, our roads are terrible narrow and curvy, always full of traffic, there is no time for that unless you want an accident to happen.

You realize that with German cars, they're built for people that enjoy driving. hell my BMW's one cupholder is out of immediate reach of the driver.

just my .02 cents cause there are people who can multi-task behind the wheel and are decent drivers. my cousin had a G35 Stick, He would drive it, go around a corner talking on his cellphone to his ear while eating a bagel and shifting gears. not bad at all! but not safe either, mind you he lives in florida...
Agree. A couple of months ago, I was driving to NYC on Rte 3 - it was early - about 6:30 AM, before the traffic got heavy, and was fiddling for a second or two with one of the music controls and swerved into the rt lane. The other driver swerved and honked (I deserved that); if he didn't I would have caused an accident. It only take a second of being distracted and taking your eyes off the road to get into trouble big time.
As regards very loud music, there are some songs that just sound so nice when playing at high volume, but I do it for just a song ot two and never in heavy traffic or on city streets - what the heck would happen if a didn't hear that fire engine or police siren? Just another thing I think is too dangerous to engage in. Like Coolieman, I just like to listen to the engine hum.

Bob
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about this thread, how can anyone think that a Ford Flex is the equivalent of an Audi just because it has Microsoft sync?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Man what are you talking about, I thought comparing Edge to Q5 is hit below the belt and now you bring up the Flex....
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Coolie is right with this topic.

I hope you are not one of those "no hear no see" who blast music while texting and fighting the stuck voice command system and while focusing to everything else than the main task itself, the driving, you endangerer others on the road. Those folks are always the last ones to see the emergency lights and vehicles approaching and so on.
No I don't blast my music and most of the time I don't even know where my cell phone is so I'm not a distracted driver. Anything can be distracting in a car. Hell American got sued for the signs they had up at DFW because some idiot was too busy trying to figure out where he was going vs paying attention to what he was doing and wrecked. I'm actually all for having a car shielded where you can't even get cell phone reception. Have people forgotten what life was like before them? Really it's that important? I commented on the whole thread because who is anyone to say what is useless techo bling and what isn't. You think everyone was crazy about getting radios in their car? I'm sure some folks pointed out they'd be a distraction. I remember in the 80s they ran awareness promos about not playing with the radio in the car. The one I remember was the guy who missed seeing the ball roll out in the street and the little girl behind it because he was changing the station. People are going to text regardless of the consequences so at least they're trying to use technology to make it not so distracting (ie reading your text msg to you vs you looking at it).
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Man what are you talking about, I thought comparing Edge to Q5 is hit below the belt and now you bring up the Flex....
I meant to say the edge, sorry.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

People are going to text regardless of the consequences so at least they're trying to use technology to make it not so distracting (ie reading your text msg to you vs you looking at it).
Reading your text msg to you vs you looking at it? do you mean like a actual phone call?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Reading your text msg to you vs you looking at it? do you mean like a actual phone call?
Holy cow, the LAST thing I need is for other people in the car to hear MY text messages lol

Quick Reply: Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport