Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
On a side note, I'm not sure about the Q5, but in the A6 if so equipped, the power mirrors can be retracted manually when the mirror control selector is turned to the bottom position up to a certain driving speed, when they will unfold automatically. I've found this useful when pulling up close to a drive through pay station like an ATM or loading on a tight ferry ramp (of all places).

I read in an AW post last year where a "helpful" woman in a parking lot noted they were retracted as the driver was getting into the car and said, "here, let me pull the mirror out for you" and yanked it open, destroying the motor. Ouch.
Q5 has that **** too. but unfolding automatically while driving did not work for me lol.

it happened to me before at a car wash. That guy forced my mirrors up. I wonder if the women pay for it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, if you can remember to flip your mirrors in, you more than likely can remember to lock the car.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am glad to hear you were able to recover the car with little physical damage and limited loss. This is what I have for vehicle tracking and status:

http://www.directed.com/SmartStart/Modules.aspx

http://www.directed.com/SmartStart/Pricing.aspx

I bought the Clifford Remote Start and also got the GPS Smart Start module. I can monitor everything about my car from my phone app or any internet connected device. Receive status, temperature, GPS location, door lock/unlock, ignition status, etc. I have alarms, texts, or optional emails with any change in status including the alarm, movement, speed, geofencing, etc. all real time. If you get an alert, you will receive a message that reflects what triggered the alert, and the longitude/latitude coordinates of the car in intervals if you set it up that way.

Luckily none of my vehicles have been stolen, but my Genesis was broken into --- I was able to provide the details to both the police and the establishment which in turn allowed them to know the exact time to pull the video footage and display the entire break in on tape. Pricing is excellent for what you get as well; the module and install was $199 (without the traditional alarm/key fob system) and 3 years of service for also $199.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great to see the car back with its rightful owner!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

On a side note, I'm not sure about the Q5, but in the A6 if so equipped, the power mirrors can be retracted manually when the mirror control selector is turned to the bottom position up to a certain driving speed, when they will unfold automatically. I've found this useful when pulling up close to a drive through pay station like an ATM or loading on a tight ferry ramp (of all places).
Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Q5 has that **** too. but unfolding automatically while driving did not work for me lol.
You're right - I just tested it again and if set in the manual position they will remain folded at any speed until manually unfolded. What I should have written was the "manual control will not fold the mirrors above a certain speed".
Old 04-08-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're right - I just tested it again and if set in the manual position they will remain folded at any speed until manually unfolded. What I should have written was the "manual control will not fold the mirrors above a certain speed".
probably a VCD coding not sure.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW there is apparently also an auto industry consortium which IS actively working on changing laws, including our US DOT laws, that require physical mirrors.

Their main emphasis is that switching to tiny video cameras with an inside monitor will save 2-7% of the fuel used at highway speed. That's right, dual side mirrors can kill 2-7% of all the highway gas mileage due to increased wind drag. Especially the "dumbo ears" we have.

Maybe in five or ten years...depending on whether anyone really wants to save fuel.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
FWIW there is apparently also an auto industry consortium which IS actively working on changing laws, including our US DOT laws, that require physical mirrors.

Their main emphasis is that switching to tiny video cameras with an inside monitor will save 2-7% of the fuel used at highway speed. That's right, dual side mirrors can kill 2-7% of all the highway gas mileage due to increased wind drag. Especially the "dumbo ears" we have.

Maybe in five or ten years...depending on whether anyone really wants to save fuel.
this probably wont happen because of idiot drivers on the road. Regardless of having side mirrors or none. There will be accidents.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, our factory alarms suck btw. I'd imagine it never went off if it was taken on a tow truck.

I just posted this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...4#post24558254