Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
SQ5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 275152

Default SQ5 Winter tire/wheel recommendation

Picked up my SQ5 earlier this month and got to drive it in the snow for the first time last night. Came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports that are really meant for summer use. I was able to get around ok, but definitely had to watch throttle, steering and breaking inputs extra carefully or else it would break loose pretty easily.

Thinking about getting a set of inexpensive wheels and winter rubber to put on from Dec-Mar. My wheels are the stock SQ5 20-inchers and I'm in the Boston area where the roads are pretty rough so I'm thinking 19-inchers plus Blizzaks or similar but would love to hear and see what others have done before pulling the trigger. If you have winter wheels/tires on your Q5 and are able to share pics, I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274680

Default winter set up

I went with 19' wheels and tires from tire rack. Got Michelin X-Ice 2's, but Blizzaks would be good choice too. The vehicle handles very predictably in the snow and ice - I like it more than the X3 I had with Micehlin PA3's. On the SQ5 I had 21" summer wheels and didn't notice big difference in ride but big reduction in road noise - the 21" tires transmit a lot of voice.
sevarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 182056

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ5 View Post
Picked up my SQ5 earlier this month and got to drive it in the snow for the first time last night. Came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports that are really meant for summer use. I was able to get around ok, but definitely had to watch throttle, steering and breaking inputs extra carefully or else it would break loose pretty easily.

Thinking about getting a set of inexpensive wheels and winter rubber to put on from Dec-Mar. My wheels are the stock SQ5 20-inchers and I'm in the Boston area where the roads are pretty rough so I'm thinking 19-inchers plus Blizzaks or similar but would love to hear and see what others have done before pulling the trigger. If you have winter wheels/tires on your Q5 and are able to share pics, I'd appreciate it.
I have an SQ5 w/ the prestige trim & 20" wheels. I'm in VT. Looked @ for winter tires & quickly gave into the indulgence of the Audi wheel package: 235/55 R19 Continental CrossContactWinter & 19 alloys. Package works & looks great. This winter, it's done great in some nasty storms & snow. Maybe another package at the price would work just as well but, the SQ5 is itself an indulgence so, for me, the cost, compared to convenience & confidence, wasn't a big deal.
Sam05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 275540

I just got my SQ5 as well a week ago. Love it, but it is an ice skate on the snow without winter tires.

The winter wheel options are a little more difficult to sort out - there are a lot of recommendations on this forum and Audizine if you look around.

I ended up going with 19" wheels from Hartmann and Blizzak DV-M1s from Tirerack even though they don't offer those as a recommended option when you go through the drop down menu. I'm having them put on tomorrow and will let you know how they feel.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ5 View Post

Search is your friend:
SQ5 winter set ordered
SQ5 Winter Wheels/Tires
Snows for SQ5
SQ5 in snow/ice?
Need winter tires and wheels for SQ5
Winter wheel help for SQ5

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 164155

S5 peelers are what I went with.

2014 S Q5: Glacier White Prem+
Black Alcantara / Aluminum + Black Wood / B&O / MMI + Nav / Rear Side Airbags
gtwagon941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 275540

Where did you get the peelers from out of curiosity?

And...yes, spijun, search is a friend - there is a lot of good information on these forums about this specific question and I have read through it all. So thanks for reposting those links so they are all in one place.

But, consider that this question has been asked again and again and again. There must be a reason for that, right? Perhaps it is because the answer is not straightforward at all -- the complexity was evidenced by much of the discussion on the threads you posted where wheels were thought to fit that did not fit, etc, etc. Perhaps this is why Audi thinks it is justified in charging $4,200 for their OEM winter wheels for the SQ5...
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 34

For my SQ5, I acquired 20" OEM titanium peelers that came off a Q5 TDI S-line and mounted them with 255/45 Blizzak DM-V1. I have already put these tires to the test with all the snow, ice, and extreme cold that have graced Chicago and they're phenomenal. Best winter tires I've ever had and they truly make the SQ5 unstoppable even in the worst winter conditions! I have Dunlop Wintersport 3D in the other Audi, and as great as that setup is, I must say that the Blizzak DM-V1 still makes the SQ5 a more capable winter beater when things get heavy (and icy). I've posted these pics before on another thread but can't find the link, so here they are again.

DSC00049

DSC00045
former Audis: 99 A4 1.8T, 01 S4, 07 RS4, 10 Q5 S-line

RIP awot
larryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 149321

I've spent around $1200 for full winter setup with DM-V1's and OEM 19" Q5 wheels I got cheap off ebay. Tires are extraordinary in the snow and much quieter than summer rubber. Will try to post some photos once I get the car washed.
koobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 263873

I have these wheels: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q5--3....oys/ES2143196/

And these tires: http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-10774-no...suv-tires.aspx

Using stock lug nuts and $20 ebay Audi center caps.

Total Price: ~$1300
dadizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
sq5, wheels