Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system

I am Furious, I received my Q5 TDI technic 2014 on January 13 2014, with few options and the Great GPS ( navigation system ). My car has 3400 KM on it 3 months old and recently on my way back from Ottawa Ontario, I found out that the GPS on my brand new car is not updated with a new Highway that was open to public in 2012 and on top of that the road was made a long time ago but the bridge construction took longer. The A 30 west of Montreal doesn't exist on my new car GPS. You pay over 3000$ to get an old version of a GPS. My wife Garmin that I bought for her 2 years ago has the update A30 on it.

I called my dealer, they acknowledge the problem and said that I would have to pay for the update when available....

I called Audi Canada Customer service about it, the answer was Sir we know the problem many Customers are complaining about it but you have the latest version; 2 year old without the new road that are available since 2012. I said that this is not acceptable when I bought the car and add the GPS option in it no one said to me by the way it is not updated and the A30 and A25, 175.... doesn't exist...they took my money.

The Customer service gave me the number of NavTek they are the supplier of the navigation software, she asked me to call them about the update.....I didn't buy my car through Navtek but through Audi...so she closed the file....wow I am so mad, you can not imagine....so don't waste your money avoid the GPS on Audi

The answer would be so easy: Sir there is no update available at the moment but as soon there is one, we will update your car at no charge....we are apologizing about it and we understand your frustration.....

Anyone else who bought an Audi recently who has the same problem....
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly why we ordered ours without nav. Most nav systems I've seen fall victim to this same thing.

But wait, there's more! Only the dealer can install the update in many of these instances...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi's map updates are spotty at best. It's really strange. Lexus has updates annually around October. You can go online and see when they are available and decide if you want to buy it.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I need Nav I have 2 systems...1 on my phone and 1 on the iPad I am using now. I find it ridiculous both the price they charge and that some people think they need yet another GPS. Ordered without Nav
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It depends on who they get their map data from.

Don't you also get other features with the system? I don't even think you can stream bluetooth audio without the NAV option or maybe that is the MMI option. I can't remember.

I always use my phone with Google Maps (which always has the most up to date version Google offers) assuming I have a signal. But even if I don't you can always plan ahead and download the map data of where you are going to be traveling.

Maybe with enough complains they will change company's or force them to use a different map source.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Should search this forum and read this:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809351
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdBrew
It depends on who they get their map data from.

Don't you also get other features with the system? I don't even think you can stream bluetooth audio without the NAV option or maybe that is the MMI option. I can't remember.
On my '13 I didn't get Nav, and because of this I didn't get BT audio nor the updated MMI. Damned if you do (old maps), damned if you don't (old MMI).
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tune2Air fixed me right up with Bluetooth audio for $100. Saved $3k as a result with a plethora of map apps at my disposal on my phone.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the Nav is great actually, a huge upgrade from the one in my B8 S4..
Old 04-24-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Exactly why we ordered ours without nav. Most nav systems I've seen fall victim to this same thing.

But wait, there's more! Only the dealer can install the update in many of these instances...
We ordered without nav too. I couldn't see paying $3K for a package when our iPhone can do the same thing for $0K.

Quick Reply: Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system