Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Side Assist Not Effective

Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Assist Not Effective

Anyone here find the side assist giving false signals randomly? I am wondering if there is anything wrong with mine. There are no fault codes or anything but every time Im on one of the highways near me (407), the side assist would light up when there are no cars around me. I also find the side assist to be too conservative when there are two car length worth of gap when changing lanes. Mercedes Side Assist has this dead on. Anyone on the same boat with me? Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lcs
Anyone here find the side assist giving false signals randomly? I am wondering if there is anything wrong with mine. There are no fault codes or anything but every time Im on one of the highways near me (407), the side assist would light up when there are no cars around me. I also find the side assist to be too conservative when there are two car length worth of gap when changing lanes. Mercedes Side Assist has this dead on. Anyone on the same boat with me? Thanks
I've been having issues with side assist in my SQ5 where it's indicating that there's a car in my driver's side blind spot when there isn't a car anywhere near me.
I brought this up to the SA at my 8k service, but they found nothing.
According to the service report they did a "recalibration" and the problem seemed to go away for a month or so, but now I see that it's starting to act up again... Very strange (and annoying).

In my experience, I don't have to be anywhere near the 407 for this to happen.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I've been having issues with side assist in my SQ5 where it's indicating that there's a car in my driver's side blind spot when there isn't a car anywhere near me.
I brought this up to the SA at my 8k service, but they found nothing.
According to the service report they did a "recalibration" and the problem seemed to go away for a month or so, but now I see that it's starting to act up again... Very strange (and annoying).

In my experience, I don't have to be anywhere near the 407 for this to happen.
Glad to hear someone on the same boat as me. My SA said he never heard of that before which I find odd since A6s have this problem for a while. I will tell my SA to do a calibration next time I go in for service and hope for the best. The blind spot assist in the mercedes is the best Ive seen to date, mainly cause I can see their lights on the side mirrors. Once the car reaches the side of their bumper their light would come on. I find the q5s overly conservative and sometimes causes more harm than good when there is enough space to merge and the light blinks at me.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guys don't have the tow hitch do you? If so could something be messed up?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with mine.....and I have the factory tow hitch.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmicah
No trailer hitch here.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 AM
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dmicah
No trailer hitch for me as well
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No problems here. Haven't noticed many false alarms.

I've also been very impressed with the logic in the SA. It's not simply a blind spot detector, but a blind spot predictor.

In other words, it tells you if there is likely to be something in your blind spot in the next few seconds. For example, if a car is passing me fast, it will alert when the car is still 4-5 car lengths away. Whereas if the car is creeping up, it will alert when it's only 1-2 car lengths away. Also, it tends not to alert when I'm passing a car.

DISCLAIMER: SA is NOT a replacement for turning your head and checking your blind spot. It is simply additional information. It is the same as Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems in aircraft, which are not a replacement for "see and avoid", but DO improve safety immensly

</soapbox dismount>
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have found that when entering or exiting a highway ramp and the directional signal is activated, the lane change indicator sometimes flashes bright. I believe that the sensitivity is increased when the directional signal is activated and the sensors pick up stationery objects in the entrance / exit ramp such as road markers or the grass median changing to pavement.

This is what I have observed so far. FWIW.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I believe that the sensitivity is increased when the directional signal is activated and the sensors pick up stationery objects in the entrance / exit ramp such as road markers or the grass median changing to pavement.
The sensitivity is not increased. The bright flash is just the combination of the standard warning (maybe false positive in this case) with the turn signal active or turning toward the side with the alert. The bright flash happens to me frequently when I'm in the right lane of a two lane left turn. I'm turning into a blind spot alert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Assist Not Effective