Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

S-Line Grille option for the Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Line Grill

There's someone on ebay selling AUDI Q5 2009 + BLACK FRONT GRILL INSERT FILLER PLATE.
I wouldn't dare venture there though. Just for your interest and member's comments:
It says:
NEW OEM, FRONT BUMPER GRILL LICENSE PLATE BRACKET, FOR 2009 AND UP AUDI Q5 , PIANO BLACK COLOR WITH TWO CHROME INSERTS. THIS PIECE REPLACES THE LICENSE PLATE HOLDER BRACKET.

THIS BRACKETS COST OVER $200.00 AT DEALER PRICE. SAVE!!!
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170406373169
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
There's someone on ebay selling AUDI Q5 2009 + BLACK FRONT GRILL INSERT FILLER PLATE.
I wouldn't dare venture there though. Just for your interest and member's comments:
It says:
NEW OEM, FRONT BUMPER GRILL LICENSE PLATE BRACKET, FOR 2009 AND UP AUDI Q5 , PIANO BLACK COLOR WITH TWO CHROME INSERTS. THIS PIECE REPLACES THE LICENSE PLATE HOLDER BRACKET.

THIS BRACKETS COST OVER $200.00 AT DEALER PRICE. SAVE!!!
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170406373169
I think it's just the strip where the license plate goes, not the entire grill.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianQ5Premium
I think it's just the strip where the license plate goes, not the entire grill.

+ 2

It is "filler panel" that covers the center structural beam going cross the front radiator opening.

Standard panel is with registration plate holder.

States that does not require front plate haves filler panel and it is either,

Base line filler panel with 2 chrome stripes.
or
S-Line filler panel is black without stripes. (S-Line grill haves every second grill bar off so the holes are bigger)

200 bucks from ebay for normal panel is high as I saw 150-170 bucks from dealer.

Last edited by kleinbus; 01-10-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wanderer1980
...To be honest, I'd rather have the wood trim inside, than the aluminum trim...

I'll second that. I tried to order my S-Line with Wood Trim. Even put on the order that I was willing to pay $1,000 premium for Aluminum to be deleted and the wood added in its place (I wanted to flat wood, not the gloss). The order went up the chain and someone from Audi HO/ ordering dept called the dealer and in turn the dealer called me, notifying it didn't matter how much I wanted to pay, that swapping out the Aluminum for the Wood Grain at the factory level was not going to happen. I bumped the price for the switch up to $2,000 thinking I would call their bluff, but it was still a no-go at the factory level. My option however was to spend $3,000 to have the wood installed after the car arrived at the dealership. Knowing that this is an option, We deducted the $1K from the original order (Taxes too) and am now waiting for the Q to arrive so I can live with it for a bit and see if it bothers me $3K worth. Afterall, since it would need to be done at the dealership anyway I may as well see if I can live with it as the "rush" is no longer there. For $1K I would switch, $2K was pushing the limit... $3K I am going to have to realllly hate aluminum to put that kind of investment into her. If I do swap it out, I'll likely sell the Aluminum to recoup some of the loss.

Moral of the story, you're not alone... I too reallllly dislike aluminum in my daily drivers (sports cars, no issues at all). It's a personal preference thing. I find it makes the car feel very clinical, I prefer the warmth of wood.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GenSpec
I'll second that. I tried to order my S-Line with Wood Trim. Even put on the order that I was willing to pay $1,000 premium for Aluminum to be deleted and the wood added in its place (I wanted to flat wood, not the gloss). The order went up the chain and someone from Audi HO/ ordering dept called the dealer and in turn the dealer called me, notifying it didn't matter how much I wanted to pay, that swapping out the Aluminum for the Wood Grain at the factory level was not going to happen. I bumped the price for the switch up to $2,000 thinking I would call their bluff, but it was still a no-go at the factory level. My option however was to spend $3,000 to have the wood installed after the car arrived at the dealership. Knowing that this is an option, We deducted the $1K from the original order (Taxes too) and am now waiting for the Q to arrive so I can live with it for a bit and see if it bothers me $3K worth. Afterall, since it would need to be done at the dealership anyway I may as well see if I can live with it as the "rush" is no longer there. For $1K I would switch, $2K was pushing the limit... $3K I am going to have to realllly hate aluminum to put that kind of investment into her. If I do swap it out, I'll likely sell the Aluminum to recoup some of the loss.

Moral of the story, you're not alone... I too reallllly dislike aluminum in my daily drivers (sports cars, no issues at all). It's a personal preference thing. I find it makes the car feel very clinical, I prefer the warmth of wood.
+3, my wife hated the aluminum finish (another reason why I lost the S-Line fight lol), I like the exterior of the S-Line a lot, but don't care for the 'forced' interior features/looks that Audi feels is essential on such a vehicle. I went with the beige interior with the Almond Beige wood trim (not sure if I'm sold on that until I see it), at least I got the S-Line grille. We are going to change the rims and tires (Pirelli's)anyways, and will likely do some body-kit down the road.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny because the interior on the S-Line was actually what sold me. I can't deal with light headliners and the fake wood look. Too be honest, I wish they went further with the S-Line in the US and added the "Black Styling" package on the S-Line exterior. I've tried to find pricing on the grill, roof rails, window trim and other pieces, but no luck finding prices. The matte black pieces instead of chrome are AWESOME!!!!

Originally Posted by GenSpec

Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Funny because the interior on the S-Line was actually what sold me. I can't deal with light headliners and the fake wood look. Too be honest, I wish they went further with the S-Line in the US and added the "Black Styling" package on the S-Line exterior. I've tried to find pricing on the grill, roof rails, window trim and other pieces, but no luck finding prices. The matte black pieces instead of chrome are AWESOME!!!!
+1 on the S-Line interior that what sold me. I think I will get all the silver exterior and chorme wrap with vinyl when the weahter is warmmer.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Soni
+1 on the S-Line interior that what sold me. I think I will get all the silver exterior and chorme wrap with vinyl when the weahter is warmmer.
I think it cheapens the interior to be honest, I have aluminum finishes in my Jeep, just seems very cheap to have in a sports version. Carbon Fiber...well that's a different story, I may have been convinced with something a bit higher end then aluminum.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 S-Line Front and Rear Bumpers

Folks,

Have ordered the Q5 S-line (Ibis White) to be delivered in June 2010 (in Uptown Audi-Markham, Ontario) as I'm a big fan of paddle-shifters. Don't like the honey-comb design of the front and rear bumpers...want the simple plain style.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and willing to swap for free the front (together with the front grille) and rear bumper in exchange for an ordinary Q5 front and rear bumper. We can probably share 50-50 the cost of installation.

Only other issue is the colour - if it's not Ibis White, then, that's going to be an extra cost to repaint both bumpers...unless we think that it's cool to drive around and start a fashion trend of Q5s with different bumper colours :-)

Nevertheless, I'm flexible and willing to meet you half-way...whoever you are.

You can e-mail (clengm@yahoo.ca) or call 416-930-2021.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CanadianQ5Premium
I think it cheapens the interior to be honest, I have aluminum finishes in my Jeep, just seems very cheap to have in a sports version. Carbon Fiber...well that's a different story, I may have been convinced with something a bit higher end then aluminum.
+1, the interior aluminum is the reason I didn't go with s-line, since I actually really like the s-line exterior. I'm happy with my standard Q, but hoping to one day be able to find a solution that allows me to put a chrome ring around the fog lights as on the s-line. That's the only thing missing IMO.

Quick Reply: S-Line Grille option for the Q5