Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rubbing noise

Hello everyone, i'm a newbie here in this forum but i got question to ask Q5 owner... first say thank you to everyone who would give me any advice.
I bought a brand-new 2014 Q5 2.0T in May at Park avenue Audi Montreal. Now it has been driven about 4000km, so far so good. However i've heard about three times in two months some kind of rubbing noise came from the rear tire, driver side. It's kind of weird the first time and second time it goes off after 5 minutes of driving. The third time happened which was tonight and it did not go off that quick. I could still hear it's something rubbing against the disc and the brake, i would say mostly metal rubbing. It's not loud but keeps making friction noise.
Does anyone have this kind of issue ?
Appreciated for any kind of advice.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a caliper sticking. Take it to the dealer
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres numerous things. if your guess was on the brakes. it might be the wheel bearings. if the brakes are constantly rubbing the rotors check if they are burning hot. IF it is better head over to the dealers asap
Old 07-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you AudiQ5 sleeper, i'm actually going to the dealer today... i mean for 4000km, i'm not a tough guy on the breaks...so it should be in good shape, isn't ? i still have A concept that the original pads could go as far as 20,000km.
thank you again.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thank you !

Originally Posted by Reggie
Could be a caliper sticking. Take it to the dealer
thank you... calliper sticking, i will mention that when i meet audi tech.
appreciated.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got similar problem with my brand new Q5 TDi its only 500 miles and for me its from the passenger side rear tire. I went to the dealer yesterday and they checked for a while and even called their in house expert and finally this is what they said. "Your car is new and there is a axle bush where the axle gets connected to the wheel and its little tight as its new once its get polished after some usage it will go away. This happens with most Q5's and no one notice it as they all drive with the windows up"

I am not an expert but it sounds like they dont have a clue. My Q5's rubbing sound is also not loud as David&niki explained and its there all the time. Not very loud you need to be in a parking garage with windows down to hear that. Rubbing gets more frequent with the tire speed.. I tired it in traffic but you cant hear that due to the traffic noise.

So for me I am waiting for another 500 miles, to go back to them. I would suggest David&Niki to get it checked with the dealer. Interested to know what they got to say in your case as its already 4000 Km
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thank you !

Originally Posted by anilx783
I got similar problem with my brand new Q5 TDi its only 500 miles and for me its from the passenger side rear tire. I went to the dealer yesterday and they checked for a while and even called their in house expert and finally this is what they said. "Your car is new and there is a axle bush where the axle gets connected to the wheel and its little tight as its new once its get polished after some usage it will go away. This happens with most Q5's and no one notice it as they all drive with the windows up"

I am not an expert but it sounds like they dont have a clue. My Q5's rubbing sound is also not loud as David&niki explained and its there all the time. Not very loud you need to be in a parking garage with windows down to hear that. Rubbing gets more frequent with the tire speed.. I tired it in traffic but you cant hear that due to the traffic noise.

So for me I am waiting for another 500 miles, to go back to them. I would suggest David&Niki to get it checked with the dealer. Interested to know what they got to say in your case as its already 4000 Km
Thank you...
sounds like you've got exactly situation with me. The thing when i drove though in the tunnel or the connector of highway when there is cement wall in between i can hear it clearly, however, when i drive in local or speed up i can't hear it very clearly because of wind noise or traffic noise. If i close the windows i hear nothing at all... first time happened about 2000km and went off in 5 minutes local driving, second time as well. Yesterday was the 3rd and it didn't go away that quick this time. I'm actually going to the dealer today to meet audi tech. update tonight, tks
Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David&Niki
thank you AudiQ5 sleeper, i'm actually going to the dealer today... i mean for 4000km, i'm not a tough guy on the breaks...so it should be in good shape, isn't ? i still have A concept that the original pads could go as far as 20,000km.
thank you again.
it happened to me before. we found out it was the wheel bearing. hopefully the dealer figures out the cause of your situation.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
it happened to me before. we found out it was the wheel bearing. hopefully the dealer figures out the cause of your situation.
May i ask you at what mileage you've got wheel bearing issue ?
Did you off-road a lot ?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anilx783

Hey, there.
i mentioned your case when i met Audi tech today. The tech said it could be the sound bounce off the wall as the garage usually is a narrow space. Consequently, you could hear some kind of noise in such a short time. He believed the noise would be a combination of engine&transmission plus the break medal together as the metal does deliver sound very quickly... For me i would like to agree what he said because i couldn't find any other evidence about the noise.
Would you buy that ?
Thank you

Quick Reply: Question about rubbing noise