Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about spare tire system

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about spare tire system

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the spare tire setup on the Q5. We just bought a slightly used 2013 3.0T. I was told that it was traded in by someone who got a flat and realized that the car only came with a deflated spare and a repair kit (the person apparently got frustrated and called a tow truck and then went and traded the Q5 for a 4Runner).

After looking through the back compartment where the tools are, I believe it. The compressor and the other tools are missing. The tire itself is there, as is a jack from a Sequoia and set of tools from who knows where.

My question is whether I need to get an Audi compressor or will any 12v. compressor do for inflating the spare? I have a regular $20 compressor that served my last Audi just fine but since I've never used the deflated spare, I don't know whether it needs a special fitting or a special compressor I will likely get the jack and the tools from the dealer but the compressor is a pricey item, going for $300 or so.

Also, what are the other essential tools that I now need to get/replace? And do I have to buy them piecemeal or is there a kit that I can order for this?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

The compressor is located in the left side quarter panel compartment -- not in the same location as the spare. Maybe you knew that -- just wanted to add just in case.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any compressor will do the job, nothing non standard here.
One watchout - compressor is not located together with tools under the trunk floor. You should be able to find it in compartment inside the left wall of the trunk - look for black box fastened to bottom of this compartment with rubber/velcro band.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mirekmal
Any compressor will do the job, nothing non standard here.
One watchout - compressor is not located together with tools under the trunk floor. You should be able to find it in compartment inside the left wall of the trunk - look for black box fastened to bottom of this compartment with rubber/velcro band.
Thanks Jazzy & mirekmal. I did know that the left wall compartment contains the compressor, the holder for it is there, but that's where the Sequoia jack was.

I did some more poking around the trunk floor though (based on your comment) and after removing the plastic bin, pulling back the carpet and opening the plastic cover in the trunk floor, i did find the tools and the jack. Even the wheel chocks were there and everything looked untouched!! I'm now thinking that the previous owner did not find this little hideaway and thought the only tools Audi provided were the compressor and the sealant.

If any standard compressor will work, I'm going to save the $300 that Audi charges for a new one and keep my $30 compressor. Never been a fan of the sealant, though I may pick up a can to throw back there with the compressor.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another question: what is the square plastic box that's right in front of the jack? (I have arrows pointing to it in the attached pictures).
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ i was wondering the same what that plastic clip is for. my other 2 q's didn't have that
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
^ i was wondering the same what that plastic clip is for. my other 2 q's didn't have that
That plastic clip removes the gray plastic lug bolt covers if so equipped. It depends on wheel style. If the lugs are exposed, they are covered. The wrench will fit on them but they will crack off.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford
Another question: what is the square plastic box that's right in front of the jack? (I have arrows pointing to it in the attached pictures).
I believe that cover is to cover the battery terminal not sure. I haven't open that section in awhile. maybe I will check it out tonight if its not too damn cold.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
THat's the tool to help you pull the "cover" off the wheel bolts.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TD02
THat's the tool to help you pull the "cover" off the wheel bolts.
Yup, that tool is to remove wheel bolt covers if you have the wheel like the one shows in the image (link below). I had it with my previous B6 A4 (2004 model). My current Q5 (2012) has a different type of wheel so it doesn't come with it.

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/Audi-RS6-Avant-21.jpg

Quick Reply: Question about spare tire system