Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Home Link rolling code problems Q5 & X3

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Home Link rolling code problems Q5 & X3

Looking for help with Home Link. I have been successful & am comfortable with programming the rolling code version in my Q5. Problem is once I do this the code is erased or non-functional in the X3. If I reprogram the X3 again it erases the code in the Q5. It's obviously related to the rolling code learn function of the opener & programming in the BMW & the Audi. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes I have an idea. I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. I'm a techie and don't give up easy on electronic problems. Mine would pair fine, but then another remote would de-pair. I have several motorcycles, 4 cars, and a a few hand-held remotes.

What I learned by scouring the manuals is that my Overhead Door garage opener is limited to a maximum of 7 remote devices. When you attempt to add an 8th, one of the previously-paired remotes de-pairs. The de-pairing wasn't a first-in first out arrangement. The de-pair was seemingly random.

Hope that helps.

CHEERS and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default +1/Bingo!

The memory is full. When they roll off like this, you need to go back to the garage door head, press the lobotomy (erase) button sequence and then re enter all of your current vehicle Homelinks or loose remotes.

When we got the Q5 and in turn off'ed two older vehicles I wiped the garage door opener heads and then started over. IIRC, you hold down the garage door head programming button for a period of time like 30 seconds or so until the red LED goes dark, or something like that.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Solution?

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Yes I have an idea. I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. I'm a techie and don't give up easy on electronic problems. Mine would pair fine, but then another remote would de-pair. I have several motorcycles, 4 cars, and a a few hand-held remotes.

What I learned by scouring the manuals is that my Overhead Door garage opener is limited to a maximum of 7 remote devices. When you attempt to add an 8th, one of the previously-paired remotes de-pairs. The de-pairing wasn't a first-in first out arrangement. The de-pair was seemingly random.

Hope that helps.

Appreciate the help. So the solution is?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unsure this would be the case

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The memory is full. When they roll off like this, you need to go back to the garage door head, press the lobotomy (erase) button sequence and then re enter all of your current vehicle Homelinks or loose remotes.

When we got the Q5 and in turn off'ed two older vehicles I wiped the garage door opener heads and then started over. IIRC, you hold down the garage door head programming button for a period of time like 30 seconds or so until the red LED goes dark, or something like that.
Appreciate the response. Not sure this would be the case. This opener was installed in 2012. It has seen remote pairings for 3 other cars only. No other device pairings.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I personal think Audi either got a “bad batch” of the Home Link units this year or the placement of the receiver is not in the right spot on these newer Q5s. I have a late 2013 Q5 and my Home Link unit was replaced right after delivery, as I could not get it to work at all. The replacement unit works, but just barely, as you have a very narrow range in the driveway where it will work.
I never had a problem opening the garage door with my 2007 S6, 2009 Q5 or with my 2010 S5. I can open the garage door in the street with the S5, while I need to be about 10ft away from the door to open it with the Q5. The problem is getting worse again as you need to be very close to the door to get it to open. I plan on calling the dealer to see if he will replace the unit again.
And I’ll add one more thing here (in the Q5 forum) – this is the only model that I’ve read about Home Link problems in. My next-door neighbor bought an A5 cab the same week I bought the Q5 and we programed his Home Link on the first try and my unit didn’t work at all. I tried everything, including erasing the memory in the unit. I few weeks before we bought our cars another neighbor across the street had no problem programing his 2013 S5 Home Link – and we all live in the same townhomes with the same garage door opener units
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Overanalyzing?

I think you are likely overanalyzing. More time to post this stuff than to erase all and just do it.

BTDT myself; they fill up. Answering your "new" garage door rection for example. Variously, factory could have tested it w/ another learned remote or two. Or, the installer. Likely came with a generic remote or two in the box for that matter. Or, maybe that unit from place xyz was maybe not quite in the factory sealed box after all... Maybe one of the ones you put in there took a few tries (BTDT too) but the head still stored what is now gibberish. It happens.

Hit the head's erase button/sequence before rejecting the idea. If one car is rolling off the memory when the other goes in, that's really saying to me the issue is with the opener electronics, not the vehicle or the remote/Homelink module.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-26-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to use the MASTER remote to program all vehicles. The master remote is the one the installer used to set up the system with.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not to worry. You'll get it working.I got mine to work after a few attempts. However I ended up not using the Audi Remote as it only works when the ignition is turned on unlike my other vehicle Honda. The Honda version works with the ignition in both ON and OFF state. I just went back to the mobile remote.

Cheers
Kandiah
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS

Hope that helps.

Went through this myself -- my garage door opener was inherited from the previous owner, so I had no idea about the history of what had been paired to it. After "hot-potatoing" between two Homelinks several times, called Homelink and they suggested resetting the GDO. It worked.

Quick Reply: Home Link rolling code problems Q5 & X3