Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI navigation vs. Garmin GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dxchea
Why do you rarely use the Google Earth overlay? Is it just not as useful as the standard maps? I would've assumed Google Earth would be the preferred choice since the maps are up to date.
Frankly, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. While the Google Earth is cool and great for identifying specific building locations, all the extra photo clutter makes it harder for me to follow the map. There are times when it comes in very handy but when navigating, the standard map is easier for me to follow. 30 years ago I'm sure I would feel differently.
Actually, the underlying NavTeq map is not updated. The Earth overlay will show updated photo representations of new roads, but you won't be able to route to destinations on them. Google Earth is not a map, it's only an overlay with updated photos and POIs.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the voice entry? I especially like my Google maps where I can route to just about anything - intersection, school, building name, etc. Is the mmi only address entry? Is the poi complete and easy to use?

For voice entry do you have to do it address piece by piece or can you just say "143 main St"?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
How is the voice entry? I especially like my Google maps where I can route to just about anything - intersection, school, building name, etc. Is the mmi only address entry? Is the poi complete and easy to use?

For voice entry do you have to do it address piece by piece or can you just say "143 main St"?
If you do the voice training, it's not bad. It won't get everything exactly right all the time but with patience and some understanding of the syntax, it works pretty well for me.

There are really two databases in the Nav Plus system with Audi Connect.

First, the built in search has limited POIs compared to the Google online database. You will mostly use the built-in database with voice command for addresses (they can be entered by voice all at once using the correct syntax order). You can also use voice to ask for next restaurant, gas station and other popular categories. Using the MMI control **** or touch pad offers more options for the built-in search like near me, along route and destination and search by POI name. IIRC, Intersections can be entered as well.

Second, when using Audi Connect Google online destination search, you can pretty much use voice, MMI control **** or touch pad for virtually any named POI that can be found in Google's North America's database. It actually is very complete, and returns extensive lists allowing you to even show a page worth at a time on the map. There's even a static Street View feature available that's similar to the computer version when using the Google Earth overlay.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you do the voice training, it's not bad. It won't get everything exactly right all the time but with patience and some understanding of the syntax, it works pretty well for me.

There are really two databases in the Nav Plus system with Audi Connect.

First, the built in search has limited POIs compared to the Google online database. You will mostly use the built-in database with voice command for addresses (they can be entered by voice all at once using the correct syntax order). You can also use voice to ask for next restaurant, gas station and other popular categories. Using the MMI control **** or touch pad offers more options for the built-in search like near me, along route and destination and search by POI name. IIRC, Intersections can be entered as well.

Second, when using Audi Connect Google online destination search, you can pretty much use voice, MMI control **** or touch pad for virtually any named POI that can be found in Google's North America's database. It actually is very complete, and returns extensive lists allowing you to even show a page worth at a time on the map. There's even a static Street View feature available that's similar to the computer version when using the Google Earth overlay.
As a Canadian I hate all the references to Audi Connect, ESPECIALLY the google search for POI... pretty much ideal.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

my thoughts on this topic. This is my first New car and first car with navigation. I have only used my cell phone and a variety of handheld units.

Pros of MMI:
1) Clean Interior look
2) Back Up Camera
3) Built in Music storage
4) Send destinations to car from your computer
5) No Drain on Cell phone
6) Wifi hotspot(I currently send a wifi hotspot from my cell, but again this drains my battery or I can have another cord charging my phone). For use with tablets and other passengers in the car.
7) Screen/Map size. Phone is 5" and much smaller if you are using an iphone.

Cons:
1) Not Fully upto date as my phone can be
2) $3500 OR 62 dollars extra on a monthly payment(1.9% APR, cost of financing for 60 months is $17.48 a month for every $1,000 financed)

so for my the Pro's outweighed the cons.

I plan to sign up for the Tmobile 30month contract for 450..

One convenience is the ability to buy one of these:
http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-dev...e-hotspot.html

Just take your SIM card out of your car and drop it into this little handheld device and you have a dedicated internet wifi hotspot anywhere.(Main reason I think of this is, I have European friends/family visit and I often enable my hotspot feature on my Nexus 4).
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
As a Canadian I hate all the references to Audi Connect, ESPECIALLY the google search for POI... pretty much ideal.
Sorry. Perhaps if you had mentioned in your post or your sig you were in Canada, I wouldn't have bothered you responding with all that info.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

For me personally, the better navigation is Garmin .
Upgrade map is 3-4 times per year, free of charge, Audi $ 300 for an upgrade,, possibility to add points of interest - especially speed cameras and radars ....... software installation and map on the computer ....... Coverage maps for the world is a much better.....price top model with voice control is $ 349.99 or models with a screen 7 "only $ 219.99

Audi has good maps for Western Europe but the rest of the world is poorly covered with old maps

I've tried other navigation TomTom, iGo, but Garmin is the best

Last edited by spijun; 09-12-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
For me personally, the better navigation is Garmin .
Upgrade map is 3-4 times per year, free of charge, Audi $ 300 for an upgrade,, possibility to add points of interest - especially speed cameras and radars ....... software installation and map on the computer ....... Coverage maps for the world is a much better.....price top model with voice control is $ 349.99 or models with a screen 7 "only $ 219.99

Audi has good maps for Western Europe but the rest of the world is poorly covered with old maps

I've tried other navigation TomTom, iGo, but Garmin is the best
Agreed the Garmin Lifetime Maps is great. I wish MMI used Google *maps*, which are always updated, vs the mere NavTec maps (with Google satellite overlay)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the integration of the nav within the q5 but the technology is dated. I haven't found the Sirius traffic to be accurate. I have driven 18k miles and only once has the system identified through Sirius that there was a traffic jam and routed me. My iPhone screen size is not ideal for GPS, but it gives real time intelligence from other users since I use the app Waze. It notifies me if a cop is hiding on my path (extremely helpful when I'm traveling long distances... Saved me many times), travel plans are reroutes base upon traffic conditions that are pretty accurate, and finally updated maps and locations (users can fix location issues.

In terms of audi connect, I wish it was LTE speed. I've tried using wifi and it was dreadfully slow.

I do like the audi jukebox and media that comes with the system.

Last edited by mrrun2fast; 09-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2013 P+, and have been relatively pleased with the Nav System. I do like how the direction graphics are available in the instrument cluster. That way you can look down and in between your tach and speedo, you have the turn direction, street name, and distance to that specific turn. It updates as turn by turn.

A large downside in my mind, is the difficulty in entering your destination. For some reason, I find it rather difficult to enter in destination, or update destination on the fly. But I am sure this becomes simpler the more you use it. I would recommend playing around with this during a test drive and see what you think for yourself.

In those times where entering on iPhone would be easier than entering into the NAV system, we have used the Bluetooth connectivity, and the iPhone directions come through the car speakers. That way, if you get in a bind, you can always fall back on the handheld devices.

As for comparing between an actual Garmin or TomTom, I do not have that information.

Good Luck, and whichever way you choose, I bet you will be happy with your new Audi!

Quick Reply: Q5 MMI navigation vs. Garmin GPS