Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Hi All,
We are expecting our first kid and I was wondering if any Q5 owners here have the 'perfect' setup for their baby.

For example, things are slipping and sliding in the trunk. I'm looking for a divider or something, but does anyone have a good setup where they have space for a stroller and baby stuff.

Thanks all!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The newborn days. Congrats. I have two kids myself and we actually downsized into the q5 from a Pathfinder. Now our kids no longer require the amount of "gear" that newborns need (my youngest is almost 2), so my advice might not work. For starters my stroller I have pretty much consumes the rear cargo area. I can fit some stuff around it and if I remove the rear deck lid, I can do more. What we do to help fit items is the use of some bags and material from a company called thirty one. We have a box with a lid that goes in the middle seat of the rear. We also have some garbage and tissue box that attaches to the head rest in the middle. We have some boxy type of item in the back, but it works for crap. The only reason I know this stuff is I just got the bill from the wife on this stuff and I have to be the one to remove it to clean up after the kids. So please let me keep my man card. HAHA.

That bad thing I notice with the Q5 is that with a stroller, you get very limited on space, so you need to really maximize space. I don't know of a divider that would really work with a stroller.

Hope this at least helps a little. I kept my Pathfinder so if we ever have a tuck load of stuff to lug around, we just use it. So my best advice is buy a cheap larger SUV. Have fun with childhood.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Get a cargo box. That will make things a ton easier. Also, make sure you have a rear seat cover, to protect the leather from all sorts of nasty things. Paper towels and a little water helps with clean up. If you are traveling, it might be worth getting a cheap, light umbrella stroller. We have 3 strollers at the house and all have different functions.

For the first 6 months you won't really need a stroller. The kid will be in the car seat for almost all the jaunts. We ended up doing this:

Base for the Chicco in 2 different cars
Amazon.com: Chicco KeyFit & KeyFit30 Infant Car Seat Base - Anthracite: Baby Amazon.com: Chicco KeyFit & KeyFit30 Infant Car Seat Base - Anthracite: Baby

Chicco stoller, which the car seat clicks into
Amazon.com: Chicco Keyfit Caddy Stroller Frame: Baby Amazon.com: Chicco Keyfit Caddy Stroller Frame: Baby
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Congratulations on the new arrival! We just had our first girl a couple months back so we are going through the same transition with the car.

Cargo space can be a bit tight with the stroller (We have the Uppababy Vista) but for day trips/grocery shopping it is manageable. Sliding the rear seats up helps. The space between the infant car seat and the front passenger can get a bit tight so we've had to move it forward more than we would have liked to create enough room to get the infant seat in and out. Also, as suggested above, a seat cover underneath the base definitely helps protect the leather.

To help with sliding gear, we got the WeatherTech trunk liner which has been terrific.

All in all the Q5 has been great with the baby and she certainly enjoys the ride! Hardly a single trip out where she hasn't quickly fallen asleep.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

that's really a nice thread. I've a 2 yrs old boy and we have an 02 A4 and 09 Q5. Recently I was doing some cleaning to both cars and noticed that it's better to get seat covers to protect the leather in both cars. I remembered seeing that on a site named: audicolleciton but unfortunately when i tried to get one i couldn't find it. So can anyone help in that? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
that's really a nice thread. I've a 2 yrs old boy and we have an 02 A4 and 09 Q5. Recently I was doing some cleaning to both cars and noticed that it's better to get seat covers to protect the leather in both cars. I remembered seeing that on a site named: audicolleciton but unfortunately when i tried to get one i couldn't find it. So can anyone help in that? Thanks.
audi discontinued the nylon seat cover for Q5. your better off placing a towel under the baby seat or just buy aftermarket set covers but they sure do look ugly lol
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
audi discontinued the nylon seat cover for Q5. your better off placing a towel under the baby seat or just buy aftermarket set covers but they sure do look ugly lol
I bought some thick brown towels that nearly match my Chestnut seats. Pretty much always just used towels and that worked fine for my two kids, though the thicker the better for avoiding as much impact on the seats.

As for the topic at hand, I went from a Passat Wagon to an Odyssey after we had our first given all the baby crap we had to carry around for her. Last year downsized to the Q5 and couldn't imagine it working for us, but we needed to do week-long trips and had a ton of large items so that doesn't mean much for day-to-day use.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
I bought some thick brown towels that nearly match my Chestnut seats. Pretty much always just used towels and that worked fine for my two kids, though the thicker the better for avoiding as much impact on the seats.

As for the topic at hand, I went from a Passat Wagon to an Odyssey after we had our first given all the baby crap we had to carry around for her. Last year downsized to the Q5 and couldn't imagine it working for us, but we needed to do week-long trips and had a ton of large items so that doesn't mean much for day-to-day use.
customized foam seat pads would be nice too. i will be having my first child next year. gotta remove my subs soon to make room lol
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
Bathroom mats also work well. They're rubberized on the bottom so they don't move around as much, and come in a wide array of wonderful colors! ;-)

We just downsized from a Mazda CX-9 to the Q. Ours are now 13 and 9.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was following the thread in secret...no more

Baby girl is coming in August. Really interesting to read you.

We live in Montreal almost downtown, don,t think we'll need more than the Q for the space. Else we'll get a cargo on the roof... I think the Q is a nice size for urban environnement. We don't want to park a car larger than that.

My sister is giving me her Bugaboo stroller/kit, and we'll go for Pegperego for the car seat. If someone can find the ultimate seat cover, would be great

Cheers to all family guys

Last edited by Chuck2006; 04-08-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prepping the Q5 for a baby