Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Possible to get black trim on SQ5??

Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to get black trim on SQ5??

I was wavering b/t a Q5 TDI and a SQ5 and probably have decided on a sq5. When i configured the Q5 TDI I would get, there is an option for "S-line" which gives you the black wheels and black trim (aka black optic package). Yet, on the actual S version of the Q5, I dont see any way to get the black trim (which I really liked since I am going with Brilliant Black).

Does anyone know if this is possible to the the black trim (and/or black 20in wheels) on the sq5??
Old 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the short answer is no and if its an option it will probably cost you considerably. I inquired about Daytona gray for the SQ5 and its an extra $3,900 since its not a normal option for the SQ5 (although more like a $500 option for the TDI). I am asking about the rims but am not optimistic. As a result I plan to go with the 20in rims with the intent to eventually change them out.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davidjz
I think the short answer is no and if its an option it will probably cost you considerably. I inquired about Daytona gray for the SQ5 and its an extra $3,900 since its not a normal option for the SQ5 (although more like a $500 option for the TDI). I am asking about the rims but am not optimistic. As a result I plan to go with the 20in rims with the intent to eventually change them out.

I'll keep you posted.
just got a message back. 3200 bucks for the black trim and roof racks and install! ouch. that is total BS i think since the whole damn S Line/sport interior package on the TDI is only 4000 and that includes 20in black wheel upgrade, blacke headliner, flat bottom wheel, Drive Select, and sport front seats.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
just got a message back. 3200 bucks for the black trim and roof racks and install! ouch. that is total BS i think since the whole damn S Line/sport interior package on the TDI is only 4000 and that includes 20in black wheel upgrade, blacke headliner, flat bottom wheel, Drive Select, and sport front seats.
Yeah, but you have to understand everything is an assembly line with standard parts, so if you want a one-off, then they have to completely make those adjustments outside of the norm. The parts are funneled in constantly as they are putting these things in. So if you REALLY want it, they can definitely do it, but you definitely will be paying a premium.

I can't say for certain, while the Q5 and SQ5 are made from the same factory, I believe since there are significant enough differences they aren't mixed together when building. I was at Ingolstadt while they were building the A3. While all of the different engine types were installed together on the same assembly line, all of the same components went into the same car. When there is an issue with ONE car, it stops the entire production assembly line. At least they are "willing" to do it.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Yeah, but you have to understand everything is an assembly line with standard parts, so if you want a one-off, then they have to completely make those adjustments outside of the norm. The parts are funneled in constantly as they are putting these things in. So if you REALLY want it, they can definitely do it, but you definitely will be paying a premium.

I can't say for certain, while the Q5 and SQ5 are made from the same factory, I believe since there are significant enough differences they aren't mixed together when building. I was at Ingolstadt while they were building the A3. While all of the different engine types were installed together on the same assembly line, all of the same components went into the same car. When there is an issue with ONE car, it stops the entire production assembly line. At least they are "willing" to do it.
I got the impression that this would be done at the local dealer like it was a repair. They have to be able to order these parts to fix in case it gets damaged in an accident. My impression was that they were going to order all the parts and just install them locally I believe. I could be wrong.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
I got the impression that this would be done at the local dealer like it was a repair. They have to be able to order these parts to fix in case it gets damaged in an accident. My impression was that they were going to order all the parts and just install them locally I believe. I could be wrong.
That sounds even more expensive as a process than what alatsacto suggested!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That $3200 probably includes the black SQ5 grill which is almost $800 on its own, but yeah quite expensive. I'm just surprised they said they can do it though.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by alatsacto

I disagree with you
It just depends on the importers and markets. Price in Europe for black package is 550 EUR

Name:  ScreenShot402_zps9e9510d6.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  92.2 KB

PS All models Q5 are made in same factory Ingolstadt
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/com...container=page
Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with spijun, the only 'factory' black optic setup is on the Euro model SQ5's. I do not know if they are going to make this a US option later on or not, as of right now you have to buy everything through the parts dept and either have them put it on or do it yourself. I could see all of the parts costing about that much to do as the grill is around $800, the roof racks $1900, fog trims $350, bumper trim, and the window trims to do...not counting the wheels.

I don't mind a little bit of bright trim but I did get the grill for mine.

Last edited by 1LEThumper; 03-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
I disagree with you
It just depends on the importers and markets. Price in Europe for black package is 550 EUR

PS All models Q5 are made in same factory Ingolstadt
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/com...container=page
Well I wasn't saying that I believed they build the SQ5 and Q5 at a different factory, I was saying I believe they don't make the Q5 and SQ5 at the same time on the same assembly line. So if they didn't have the part you wanted readily available within that same assembly line, then it would be a one-off. However if the European SQ5 has a black grill, then you guys could be right. It would be just right there for them to pick either the standard grill or the black grill. I did notice they were building US and European builds all together, because you could see some cars in the same assembly line with a left side steering wheel while the car right after it would have a ride side steering wheel.

I guess another thing to consider is certain parts of the car are fully automated and done by the robots. Other parts are manually installed by humans. For example, installation of a lot of the interior are done by people. I'm not sure about the grill. If it's automated, then maybe it's not in their configuration to allow that grill to be installed on a US-spec SQ5??? Who knows. At the end of the day, it's nice that they even allow us to make custom changes, but unfortunately at a premium price.