Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: Have you had any coins get stuck in the ashtray?
I have used the ashtray to hold coins and some are stuck
15.38%
I have used the asthray to hold coins and have never had any get stuck
23.08%
I never use the ashtray to hold coins
61.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How many have coins stuck in ahstray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: How many have coins stuck in ahstray?

It seems like Audi has had an issue for years with an ashtray design that swallows coins, which then prevents the ashtray door from closing. This happened on our Q5 and during my last service I was told they would need to charge me to disassemble the console to remove the coins.

I'm curious if others have had this issue (or just know not to put coins in an Audi ashtray), so I created a poll. Please take a second to respond to the poll if you have had any ashtray issues.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never had that happen before.. but i have had coins fly all over the place when using that sorry excuse of a coin holder.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the little rubber trough thingy under the center armrest. Seems to actually work really well for a few coins although I'm not a slob so there isn't a pile there. I've never put coins in the ash tray so no experience with that one.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I answered that I don't put coins in there, but that's just because I have vast experience with that danged ashray design in my previous Audi's.
One time I got a coin stuck in the ashtray of my C5 A6 so bad, I couldn't even slide the door open to attempt an extraction.

All coins have stayed in my pocket since that day.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ashtray has not yet started its coin collection. Now it won't be given the chance.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I answered that I don't put coins in there, but that's just because I have vast experience with that danged ashray design in my previous Audi's.
One time I got a coin stuck in the ashtray of my C5 A6 so bad, I couldn't even slide the door open to attempt an extraction.

All coins have stayed in my pocket since that day.
I really wanted to post this in an "all Audis" forum to get more feedback since it affects more than the Q5, but there didn't seem to be an appropriate section for it.

Does anybody know what year this design issue started and whether it still exists on the latest model? (mine is a 2012)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coins go into a small wooden cigar box in the center console.

Here's my little mod,
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858337

Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jubz
My coins go into a small wooden cigar box in the center console.

Here's my little mod,
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858337

Looks like a great solution. A bit too late for me -- it's impossible to prevent a problem until you know it can happen. According to the poll so far, 45% of people that use the ashtray for coins have had this issue -- still scratching my head that Audi hasn't fixed this.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Looks like a great solution. A bit too late for me -- it's impossible to prevent a problem until you know it can happen. According to the poll so far, 45% of people that use the ashtray for coins have had this issue -- still scratching my head that Audi hasn't fixed this.
45% of people that use the ashtray for coins have had this issue I see 15.63% of 32 voters - although this is a negligible number of voters

Sorry but for Audi it is not a problem (as well as for other car makers). Simple the ashtray not provided for coins
The ashtray is not designed for coins

Last edited by spijun; 05-29-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jack-e-son
Never had that happen before.. but i have had coins fly all over the place when using that sorry excuse of a coin holder.
But I have to give kudos for this bit of German engineering - When I launch from a stoplight, the flying coins <B>DO</B> all neatly collect in the cupholder. The flying coins issue is not unique to Audi of course, but it's always been a big mess to find them all prior to this car

Quick Reply: Poll: How many have coins stuck in ahstray?