Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Plasti-Dip and parking sensors??

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti-Dip and parking sensors??

Hey all,

Gonna be taking delivery of an SQ5 tomorrow (which I am SUPER EXCITED for of course), but...

I was thinking about eventually using Plasti-Dip to "black out" the rear lower valance (below the alu-optic trim) and "bumper" portion of the front grill (sans the horizontal crome strips). I'm not a huge fan of the stock S-model platinum gray color (especially since the color I ordered is Monsoon, which I feel blends a little too much with those parts of the body kit making it kinda blah). The front portion of the grill should be no problem, but the rear parking sensors are all in the lower rear valance (and that matching gray color). So, my question is - will the sensors still work POST Plasti-Dip??

Anyone has experience/knowledge to share on this?

Thanks in advance everyone
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a member on here that had plasti dip their Q5. but I forgot who this member is. maybe use the search function.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sir, put the spray can down and step back from the vehicle!!! Lol. I don't see why people buy $$$$ cars and spray paint them. lol.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Sir, put the spray can down and step back from the vehicle!!! Lol. I don't see why people buy $$$$ cars and spray paint them. lol.
Yeah, what he said!

+1
Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of my rear bumper sensors filled with snow and that made them pretty useless.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Hey all,

Gonna be taking delivery of an SQ5 tomorrow (which I am SUPER EXCITED for of course), but...

I was thinking about eventually using Plasti-Dip to "black out" the rear lower valance (below the alu-optic trim) and "bumper" portion of the front grill (sans the horizontal crome strips). I'm not a huge fan of the stock S-model platinum gray color (especially since the color I ordered is Monsoon, which I feel blends a little too much with those parts of the body kit making it kinda blah). The front portion of the grill should be no problem, but the rear parking sensors are all in the lower rear valance (and that matching gray color). So, my question is - will the sensors still work POST Plasti-Dip??

Anyone has experience/knowledge to share on this?

Thanks in advance everyone
Yes, your sensors will still work, except they will ALWAYS beep at you (the sprayed ones that is) . I had to spray a few sensors when I was spraying parts of my Q. I started the car to see how the sensors behaved and the ones with dip were freaking out because they were detecting at close range. To remove the dip I used a toothpick and gently rubbed the dip on the sensor until I could pull it off. No big deal. I definitely wouldn't bother taping off a sensor to avoid spraying it. Simply spray the entire area you had in mind and once it's dry, take it off the sensor.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vblick
Yes, your sensors will still work, except they will ALWAYS beep at you (the sprayed ones that is) . I had to spray a few sensors when I was spraying parts of my Q. I started the car to see how the sensors behaved and the ones with dip were freaking out because they were detecting at close range. To remove the dip I used a toothpick and gently rubbed the dip on the sensor until I could pull it off. No big deal. I definitely wouldn't bother taping off a sensor to avoid spraying it. Simply spray the entire area you had in mind and once it's dry, take it off the sensor.
Thanks, vblick, for the first "constructive" comment to my post - appreciate it! Sounds like spraying the sensors might pose an issue :/

To the naysayers - I know this forum is full of opinions (as is the case with all forums, blogs, and other forms of social media), but I asked a question for which I was simply seeking an answer. I was not asking for your opinions. Just as everyone else here (yourselves included) has the right to do what they want with their money and the vehicles they purchase with it, so do I. In the future, unless you have something constructive to add to any thread I might post, please keep your opinions to yourselves.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

DUDE!!! Lighten up!! I have been around these forums a long time. You gotta learn to take a joke. I don't care what you do to you car. It's yours, you pay for it. I am glad you found your answer!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Different people like different things:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...sti-Dip&page=2
or
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Black-Rep-Ride
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
In the future, unless you have something constructive to add to any thread I might post, please keep your opinions to yourselves.
LOL obviously someone is pretty full of himself. Don't worry, I won't help you with ANY of your posts with your crappy attitude.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip and parking sensors??