Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Photo summary of various Lighting / DRL options - 2014 Q5

Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
It works on the Q5, but the MY2013-14 need an additional: car / carbusassignment the value of interior light on CAN comfort set

on new facelift model must additionally car / carbusassignment the value of interior light on CAN comfort set

MMI reset

Thanks spijun - maybe I'll need to create a VAGCOM list specific to the Q5 in my free time
Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Great work; great idea!

From having looked at these, my sense is the reference A5/S5 stuff usually pointed at has its limits. Sometimes as simple but as confusing as the change in the MMI button labeling for the hidden menu reset. I think occasional differences in the set up coupled with changes over time and with mid stream model updates add to it. Same with VAG COM where some of the settings that it reports as stock don't seem to agree with the actual car set up and programming.

In any case, great work! And, specific to Q5's!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sometimes as simple but as confusing as the change in the MMI button labeling for the hidden menu reset.
Yeah, even more frustrating was that neither of those sources I referenced told you how to access the Hidden Menu or do an MMI Reset, yet both of them instructed you to do so. So of course then I googled and found what you mentioned, which was the way to do it with the "old buttons"
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm doing something wrong..but I can't get the Green Menu to come up no matter how long I hold down the CAR & SETUP buttons.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
Maybe I'm doing something wrong..but I can't get the Green Menu to come up no matter how long I hold down the CAR & SETUP buttons.
If I remember correctly, you have to do it just right. Holding it longer has no effect. It's all in the timing and it's not easy.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark for a nice write-up. Looking forward to you getting the rest of the pics in.

Question about the 100% LEDs w/ Low Beams. I love the way that looks in the pics and the way it allows the outline to really stand out at night as opposed to being washed out.

But I absolutely hate passing oncoming cars who have put ridiculously bright bulbs into their low beams and blind me at night. So I don't wanna be that guy. Since the default is 28%, 100% seems like a huge increase. Plus you have the Low Beams. From what you've seen, how do you think this will impact oncoming traffic or following behind someone at night?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
Press and hold the "car" button before pressing and holding the "setup" button.
About 1/8th of a second will do.

I do this and it works for me every time.
When I try to press and hold both at exactly the same time, it often fails.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
Can you elaborate on the tail lights? Did you mean Brake lights, or Tail lights? What happens if you have your taillights on, braking, and turnsignal normally? and what do you have now? For which year Q5?
+1

I'm very interested in how you did this as I would like to do the same.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Mark P
What? No.
I apologize as it sounds there is some timing involved on an SQ5. So I guess it's mostly a hidden menu, but that there's some race condition that allows access to it that somehow somebody found out. Strange indeed. I deleted my original comment to not confuse others.

Last edited by Mark P; 10-15-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Thanks Mark for a nice write-up. Looking forward to you getting the rest of the pics in.

Question about the 100% LEDs w/ Low Beams. I love the way that looks in the pics and the way it allows the outline to really stand out at night as opposed to being washed out.

But I absolutely hate passing oncoming cars who have put ridiculously bright bulbs into their low beams and blind me at night. So I don't wanna be that guy. Since the default is 28%, 100% seems like a huge increase. Plus you have the Low Beams. From what you've seen, how do you think this will impact oncoming traffic or following behind someone at night?
It's worth trying at night, walking down the street and seeing what it looks like, or have your friend/significant other drive passed you in separate cars so you can see yourself and judge. And of course if people start flashing you, you have that datapoint as well.

It's a valid concern, the same way that I wouldn't want the LED to be at full intensity when turnsignals are on. Disabling the winking can likewise be problematic. I use my turnsignals, and I certainly want people to see them. If I blind them with full intensity LED, that defeats the whole purpose, so I won't be doing that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photo summary of various Lighting / DRL options - 2014 Q5