Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is any dark color easy to maintain?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is any dark color easy to maintain?

My last A4 was brilliant black and, minus the upkeep, loved it. I realize some of the appeal to phantom and panther black are how they "change color" in different light//angles but I still seem default to true, albeit boring, black. For anyone with experience with phantom/panther black can I assume upkeep (ie swirl marks, and instant dust) is still a never ending battle? That being said I know a lot of SQ5s are some shade of black and started to consider moonlight blue or monsoon gray as alternatives but am thinking they too will be high maintenance. Anyone have a different experience/opinion? I've also read the brilliant black is a "softer" paint so I'm trying to ultimately figure out, besides a more unique look, are there any benefits to metallic and/or pearl paint.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 14 Q5 in P. Black and I love the way it looks. I put about 3 coats of wax and it stays so smooth. The dust stays off.

Its my 1st black I owned in 37 years and I love it.

Not as easy as silver but I think the Q5 looks its best in P.black.

So if you don't want silver, Phantom Black will be easier then brilliant Black.
And about the same to keep clean as any other dark color. It will just look better! IMO.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned both light and dark colors and there's no doubt in my mind that the dark colors look the best; specially those like Panther Black (I had an E39 M5 in Carbon Black that was similar).

However, the look only lasts for about an hour after you've washed it. So there's equally no doubt in my mind that a lighter color (e.g., silver) is vastly easier to keep looking good between washes.

You don't mention heat gain: if you live in a hot climate, the lighter colors will also be more comfortable.

Whatever, you choose, the car will look great.

Steve
Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have moonlight blue and I would say keeping it clean is the same as the black cars I have had. It looks great when clean. And pretty good otherwise too. The parking garage where I work is having some rehab work done so I am greeted with a fresh layer of dust daily ;-/.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe that you should stay away from dark cars. I have monsoon gray and that's not bad at all to take care. Darker than that and you will have more work to do.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
The fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe that you should stay away from dark cars. I have monsoon gray and that's not bad at all to take care. Darker than that and you will have more work to do.
No way. I think a black Audi is hard to beat especially with black nappa interior and carbon inlays. Classy and sporty. I started to think of other dark options to stay slightly more unique however any other color comes with an added cost, literally. If moonlight blue or monsoon were both unique AND easier to maintain because of the metallic or pearl paint (neither of which I've had experience with) I might consider them more seriously. Not too surprisingly that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had a few black cars, most recently 2009 Q5, 2013 CRV, and there is no question a black car is harder to maintain than any other color. And no question, it looks the best when freshly washed/waxed. However, much depends how critical you are. Any freshly washed or waxed black car looks great - at a distance; the questions arise when looking at it up close. Unless you are pretty meticulous about washing/detailing, you will for sure have swirl marks.
Doesn't mean your car won't look nice, but it's going to take more maintenance to look good and to look good longer. I know that shortly after my black cars are washed, a fine layer of dust/and or pollen can be very visible.
I currently have a moonlight blue and it does not show as much dust as my earlier black cars; I think the metallic paints don't show the fine swirls like "plain" black paints.

B
Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
The dark grey cars is exactly what I was going to recommend too. I bought my daughter a black Audi when she was in High School and it was a bitch to keep clean. Now that she is three years out of college she bought her first new car and guess what - She has adopted my philosophy "White is Right"
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Daytona Gray RS4 isn't too bad on the maintenance. It can still look good even when dirty and swirl marks aren't nearly as big an issue as black. My wife REALLY wanted black for the SQ5...I said no way. Next choice was Glacier White...which is exactly what I would have picked considering Suzuka is not an option.

I'd say Daytona is a great "dark" color without the upkeep of black...if that makes any sense
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Reggie;24490269]The dark grey cars is exactly what I was going to recommend too. I bought my daughter a black Audi when she was in High School and it was a bitch to keep clean. Now that she is three years out of college she bought her first new car and guess what - She has adopted my philosophy "White is Right"[/QUOTE

I've certainly noticed a lot of people opting for white. I appreciate all the feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is any dark color easy to maintain?