Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This argument to pano or not pano reminds me of the old "power windows vs. no power windows" or "a/c vs no a/c" or "cup holders vs no cup holders" arguments of days gone by.

I can understand the desire to delete if you're living in a blistering hot area, but why would anyone consider deleting because it affects handling?

If you want a car that handles like it's on rails, then you don't buy a Q5.
The new luxury "standard" in this segment is that the vehicles in this class have large glass roofs.... Just like how A/C, PW, & PDL were all once contested and finally accepted as the new norm in luxury.

IMO, the pano roof kicks up the lux of the Q5 by a few notches.... To delete it for performance reasons on an already tall and heavy CUV seems kinda loopy to me.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

For those with the Pano roof.... How is wind noise at high speed with the pano roof closed? Please, be honest.

On every car I have ever owned with a standard moon roof, the wind noise on the highway is very noticeable unless I close the sun shade (which acts as a sound dampener). It happens on both my current Audis. An A8 and an S6. As a result, I always tend to drive with the shade closed to block the wind noise.

The pano roof does not have a REAL sunshade like these other cars, however. It just has a thin shade that won't provide much, if any, sound dampening.

What are you experiences with the SQ5 pano and wind noise?

Thanks!

Last edited by subterFUSE; 10-27-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In all honesty zero wind noise detected on the highway with our pano roof.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not driven the Q5 without the sunroof, so I can't compare the noise, but I find the cabin with the sunroof (CLOSED) to be very quiet. A very quiet cabin was important to me for business calls and enjoying my B&O sound system, as my time in the car is about the only time I have to enjoy my music. I don't find the shade to have much impact on the noise at all - I find I rarely open the roof on my daily commute, as it is rather loud with the roof open, but I do enjoy the extra light and brightness in the cabin so I leave the shade open almost all the time (unless parking in the sun - vehicle is almost always garage parked). My kids really enjoy riding in the backseat and looking up at the trees, planes, stars, etc.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not just the wind noise, but many have complained about it creaking.
I took mine to the track this last weekend and let me tell you, it does make a difference.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...g-sq5-2873718/

Loopy...really? What's loopy is that they don't discount anything for its deletion.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
It's not just the wind noise, but many have complained about it creaking.
I took mine to the track this last weekend and let me tell you, it does make a difference.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...g-sq5-2873718/

Loopy...really? What's loopy is that they don't discount anything for its deletion.
So you have no pano roof?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
For those with the Pano roof.... How is wind noise at high speed with the pano roof closed? Please, be honest.
Don't have an S, but it's the same roof, so... I haven't personally noticed noticeable noise coming from above, but that's not to say there's not more wind noise with the pano. Haven't driven one with the sunroof delete to compare, but even then there can be other factors to how much noise you notice.

Personally I'm not bothered by what noise there is, but it's not "silent" by any means. You'll get wind noise regardless of the roof, though, so how much is the roof and how much is the other doors/windows, I can't say. And my son especially demands that the screen be opened if I've forgotten when I pick him up since he likes being able to look up at the birds and planes and stuff as we drive.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
So you have no pano roof?
Nope. That's how I wanted it so that's how I ordered it. I've had sunroofs in my last five rides. I never use them. I don't like having sunlight from above, or wind noise, or creaking, or the heat we get here in Texas, or 230 lbs. on the roof (pano weight). I have no regrets. I understand there are a lot of people who like it and that's fine. It comes standard on all Q5's & SQ5's in the U.S., so for those who seem to think it will reduce the resale value, I just have three things to say:
  1. they are very rare
  2. the roof will never leak or make any noise
  3. it's my damn SQ!
'nough said?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It does seem odd that Audi doesn't offer a discount for deleting the pano roof. I suppose though, that since the majority of Q5's come with them, it might cost more to build a relatively small number without the roof.

I bought mine off the lot and as mentioned, most dealer inventory has the roof. Personally I don't care either way if my car has a pano roof or not, but since it does, I'm satisfied with it. No creaks, leaks, rattles or wind noise after 2 years.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Nope. That's how I wanted it so that's how I ordered it. I've had sunroofs in my last five rides. I never use them. I don't like having sunlight from above, or wind noise, or creaking, or the heat we get here in Texas, or 230 lbs. on the roof (pano weight). I have no regrets. I understand there are a lot of people who like it and that's fine. It comes standard on all Q5's & SQ5's in the U.S., so for those who seem to think it will reduce the resale value, I just have three things to say:
  1. they are very rare
  2. the roof will never leak or make any noise
  3. it's my damn SQ!
'nough said?
Yup.

I'm pretty much decided on no pano roof for me.
I never open the roof on any of my other cars with them.

Quick Reply: To Pana or not to Pana...this is the question!