Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Paint Protection Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmicah
Who did you get your quotes from? Northwest Auto Salon does a "premium" installation of XPEL for $695 for sedans, probably a tad more for the Q5. Premium means up to the first 18″ of the hood and fenders, headlights, fog lights, front bumper and side mirrors. They do very good work on the paint correction front and I'm thinking about taking mine there when it arrives in May.

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/clear-bra-protection/
Midnight in Bellevue
Old 03-04-2014, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertaBound
I got a quote from one of the few places here that does Xpel Ulimate. The quote is for full hood, bumper, front fenders, mirrors, A-pillars and top of roofline, side and rear rocker panels. They said that it shouldn't be necessary to do any prep work since the vehicle is brand new. The cost is less than what the dealer is quoting for 3M coverage (without the front fenders). Still wayy more than what you folks in the states are paying though.

For those of you that ordered new vehicles, what was the condition of the paint upon arrival. Was it good enough to immediately install the PPF, or did it require prep work first?
My Xpel Ultimate installer rotary preps all of the areas before applying the film even with brand new cars as was mine. He said that any wax, road grit, etc. has to be removed to a smooth surface or there is the possibility the film would start to delaminate over time. In 20 months, I've experienced no issues. A few months later, I also had him do an Opti-Coat Pro over the entire car including the film and it still looks great. He prepped the car again before applying it.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I end up going with the Xpel Ultimate product. I'm getting done the following:

full hood
front bumper
full front fenders
all rocker panels
A-pillar and top of roofline
headlights/foglamps
rear luggage area
mirrors

Now it is just a matter of waiting another 2 weeks until the vehicle arrives. Shouldn't be too bad of a wait since I've already been waiting 4 months for it.

At some point I may end getting the supercharged emblems put on the front fenders (personal choice). I can't believe they removed all the badging from the 3.0T models. Currently you can't tell the 2.0 from the 3.0 unless you look under the hood (or stomp on the gas pedal!).
Old 03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let us know how it goes. We take delivery of our TDI Brilliant Black in 4 weeks and I'm still debating XPEL Ultimate given the cost (I'd like to do the entire car).

Nathan

full hood
front bumper
full front fenders
all rocker panels
headlights/foglamps
rear luggage area
mirrors

Now it is just a matter of waiting another 2 weeks until the vehicle arrives. Shouldn't be too bad of a wait since I've already been waiting 4 months for it.

At some point I may end getting the supercharged emblems put on the front fenders (personal choice). I can't believe they removed all the badging from the 3.0T models. Currently you can't tell the 2.0 from the 3.0 unless you look under the hood (or stomp on the gas pedal!).
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nathan, I'll let you know how it turns out. I know that for the installer I am using they will require the vehicle for an entire day (preferably leave it overnight as well to make sure everything is okay). They did say that to do a full wrap they would need the vehicle for 5 days due to the custom cutting required. I'm not sure if that is typical for most other installers, but if it is, then it is something to consider if you can't be without the vehicle for that long.

Stephen

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
Let us know how it goes. We take delivery of our TDI Brilliant Black in 4 weeks and I'm still debating XPEL Ultimate given the cost (I'd like to do the entire car).

Nathan
Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

full hood
front bumper
full front fenders
all rocker panels
headlights/foglamps
rear luggage area
mirrors
Good choices on the coverage. Be sure your installer will wrap the hood and front fender edges so no seams are showing. It isn't cost effective or noticeable on the other smaller pieces. Also, due to the visible seam, I passed on the roof area but did get the A-pillars done.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

3M's web sites include an authorized dealer locator. You might try locating your local dealer and negotiating directly.

One reason I chose 3M is because I know they'll be around to back up the warranty. Even if they stop making the product, 3M will take care of their customers.