Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Paint Protection Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection Question

My vehicle is scheduled to arrive at the dealership in a couple of weeks (it was ordered on halloween last year)and I'm trying to iron the last details before it arrives. I plan on getting the paint protection package and I was wondering if it was worth it to get the front fenders covered as well?

If it is worth it, would you go for the full fender or just the first foot or so?

If they do the full fender, how do they handle any badging that is on the fender (V6T, S-line, etc.)? Do they remove the badging and then reapply the badging over the PPF?

I was also wondering if I would need to have them prep the paint beforehand (remove any swirl marks that may have occurred)? This vehicle is coming from the factory direct.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Stephen
Old 03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertaBound
My vehicle is scheduled to arrive at the dealership in a couple of weeks (it was ordered on halloween last year)and I'm trying to iron the last details before it arrives. I plan on getting the paint protection package and I was wondering if it was worth it to get the front fenders covered as well?
While I don't have a Q5 yet, I'm in the process of spec'ing one out, I would recommend doing the following:
  1. full hood
  2. full front fenders
  3. front bumper
  4. lights
  5. mirrors
  6. rocker panel
  7. <optional> rear bumper

I went with an installer with a proven track record instead of the dealer. This will definitely be cheaper, but means you won't have the convenience of having it all down when you pick up your car.

Also ask what film is being used? IMHO, Xpel is better than 3M. Is this being done in house or is it out sourced? When it comes to PFF, the installer is the most important factor. You don't want razor blade cuts into your new paint. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

If they do the full fender, how do they handle any badging that is on the fender (V6T, S-line, etc.)? Do they remove the badging and then reapply the badging over the PPF?
Not sure if the badging on the bumper is just stuck on, if so they would remove it and reapply it. On the hood, the emblem is removed, the PPF is applied and emblem reseated (hood pin).

I was also wondering if I would need to have them prep the paint beforehand (remove any swirl marks that may have occurred)? This vehicle is coming from the factory direct.
This is a tough question. It really depends on the dealer. Don't mean to scare you, but this thread is a good read. Some folks I know tell the dealer to not even wash the car when they take delivery and have it done by their detailer.

I ended up going with a detailer that was highly recommended on one of the forums I follow. Here is a thread on the paint correction that was needed after I took delivery of my CTTS. After the paint correction, I had Opti-Coat applied. I plan on doing the same with the Q5 when it arrives as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

OP, just don't get it from the dealer. Find out who does it for the higher end dealerships in Calgary, and you will probably save half.

I paid $550 for the bumper/headlights/hood(24")/mirrors/front fender to just behind the lights/lower rear doors(under the seam)/and back bumper under the hatch. That amount also covered getting the two front side windows tinted. My dealer quoted $1200 just for the 3M.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I suggest a forum search on " Xpel Ultimate". And "Opti-Coat" while you're at it. Lots of discussions.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
OP, just don't get it from the dealer. Find out who does it for the higher end dealerships in Calgary, and you will probably save half.

I paid $550 for the bumper/headlights/hood(24")/mirrors/front fender to just behind the lights/lower rear doors(under the seam)/and back bumper under the hatch. That amount also covered getting the two front side windows tinted. My dealer quoted $1200 just for the 3M.
That is a very good price compared to what I've seen in my area here in the US. What products were applied? For the PPF and windows? The intermediate application which didn't include below the doors or rear bumper was 699 USA for 3M and 200 USD more for xpel
Old 03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have a warm garage and a Saturday to waste, then do it yourself. I purchased a 3m kit online for the front bumper, hood (24"), fenders, mirrors, rockers, door handle cups, and mirrors for $285. It is not hard at all to do but does take time and patience. Someone mentioned razor blade cuts. You should not have to cut the film whatsoever if you properly place it.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rudymon
That is a very good price compared to what I've seen in my area here in the US. What products were applied? For the PPF and windows? The intermediate application which didn't include below the doors or rear bumper was 699 USA for 3M and 200 USD more for xpel
3M and Solar Gard.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rudymon
Who did you get your quotes from? Northwest Auto Salon does a "premium" installation of XPEL for $695 for sedans, probably a tad more for the Q5. Premium means up to the first 18″ of the hood and fenders, headlights, fog lights, front bumper and side mirrors. They do very good work on the paint correction front and I'm thinking about taking mine there when it arrives in May.

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/clear-bra-protection/
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The same week I took delivery, I had Xpel Ultimate installed and front windows tinted to match OEM rear tint, using Formula 1 film. The Xpel covered the entire front face of the car, 1/3 hood, 1/3 fenders, mirrors, partial rocker panels, door edges, door handle cups, and rear bumper shelf. Total cost for paint protection and tint before tax was $850. This price is fair here in Seattle.

The quality is excellent but the edges to some of the front bumper cuts as well as door edges are already lifting. You wouldn't notice unless looking specifically for this. Also, the door handle cup pieces are junk IMO and I'll be getting those removed this month. They create a sharp edge that you catch with you fingers when opening the door and are an eyesore. The hood and fender films look excellent.

For comparison, my Audi dealer quoted $1200 for the same paint protection using 3M film (no tint included).
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got a quote from one of the few places here that does Xpel Ulimate. The quote is for full hood, bumper, front fenders, mirrors, A-pillars and top of roofline, side and rear rocker panels. They said that it shouldn't be necessary to do any prep work since the vehicle is brand new. The cost is less than what the dealer is quoting for 3M coverage (without the front fenders). Still wayy more than what you folks in the states are paying though.

For those of you that ordered new vehicles, what was the condition of the paint upon arrival. Was it good enough to immediately install the PPF, or did it require prep work first?

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Question