Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil change interval

Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MP4.2+6.0, if what you say is true (no safe jack points to jack up the front of the Q5) what does the dealer do when changing tires, or better yet what do I do to change a flat on the road? Did I misunderstand what you said?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default It's all consistent...you need the right tools.

W/ the tire jack, it fits and basically locks to the lower body seam. At the dealer, presumably they use appropriate pads IF they jack it up. Most of the time they likely just use a drive-on multi post lift so the vehicle weight stays on the wheels as the lift goes up and raises all four wheels w/ the car. Also at the dealer, or at home for that matter, AFTER the lower belly pan comes off then of course there are more options for various lift points. The trouble--at home especially--is first you pretty much need to lift the vehicle up some simply to get that belly pan off to begin with.

What you need to use is a floor jack that has a pad or add on with a deep cut/groove in it that interlocks into the lower body seam where the spare tire jack would otherwise go when removing a front wheel. If you aren't sure what I am describing, just type "Audi Q5 jack pad" (or RS5 as another) into Google Images and you'll get the idea visually from a variety of examples in the field. For example, this one is sort of like mine: http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...rotech_pad.jpg What you cannot do is simply slide a floor jack under there up front with a conventional cup or even flat surface and make it work without crushing or damaging something. Alternately as I mentioned, ramps get around all this as long as the wheels stay on, akin to the typical modern drive on service type lift.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-28-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

mp4, did you really buy one of those jack pads, or fall for the story about how the dealer uses a 4-wheel lift?

Everybody knows that an Audi dealer merely has to order the car to levitate ("schweben Sie sich!") and the car will obediently assume the position, with the underbody pan a precise two meters above floor level.

Jack pads, ach, this is for unauthorized tamperers only. (VBG)
Old 03-01-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
mp4, did you really buy one of those jack pads, or fall for the story about how the dealer uses a 4-wheel lift?

Everybody knows that an Audi dealer merely has to order the car to levitate ("schweben Sie sich!") and the car will obediently assume the position, with the underbody pan a precise two meters above floor level.

Jack pads, ach, this is for unauthorized tamperers only. (VBG)

Redd, do you do stand up also?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Likewise on Steppenaudi's reply a step earlier, I'm curious on what the Blackstone analysis shows since I own the identical 2.0T Hybrid as Steppenaudi also does.
Here's the summary report on my first two oil changes. The vehicle is approaching 9900 miles, and I'm going to pull a sample next weekend and send it in along with a virgin sample of Castrol 5W-40 Euro-spec oil. Then I'll decide whether I'm changing my oil at 10K miles or waiting until the dealership change at 15K.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all.
Stephenaudi, I am very curious to follow your analysis. Nice to have a scientist aboard!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
W/ the tire jack, it fits and basically locks to the lower body seam. At the dealer, presumably they use appropriate pads IF they jack it up. Most of the time they likely just use a drive-on multi post lift so the vehicle weight stays on the wheels as the lift goes up and raises all four wheels w/ the car. Also at the dealer, or at home for that matter, AFTER the lower belly pan comes off then of course there are more options for various lift points. The trouble--at home especially--is first you pretty much need to lift the vehicle up some simply to get that belly pan off to begin with.

What you need to use is a floor jack that has a pad or add on with a deep cut/groove in it that interlocks into the lower body seam where the spare tire jack would otherwise go when removing a front wheel. If you aren't sure what I am describing, just type "Audi Q5 jack pad" (or RS5 as another) into Google Images and you'll get the idea visually from a variety of examples in the field. For example, this one is sort of like mine: http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...rotech_pad.jpg What you cannot do is simply slide a floor jack under there up front with a conventional cup or even flat surface and make it work without crushing or damaging something. Alternately as I mentioned, ramps get around all this as long as the wheels stay on, akin to the typical modern drive on service type lift.
I have one of these for my A4. I'm guessing it will work on Q?
http://www.eastwood.com/floor-jack-a...odel-cars.html