Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The A3 is using the RNS-E, just like the TT and R8. Updates were released every year since it was introduced in 2006. Same for the MMI 2G. It's just the MMI 3G that Audi/Navteq haven't released updates for.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Audi should be updating these maps. I have a 2012 S4 that I am picking up next week and I will be more than a little upset if my 2K NAV system has 3 year old maps.

I will wait and see before I call AoA to complain. I doubt calling AoA will do anything but maybe if enough of us do it, they will get the msg?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonnyz1245
I have a 2012 S4 that I am picking up next week and I will be more than a little upset if my 2K NAV system has 3 year old maps.
I hope you get newer maps than what's indicated by the NAVTEQ website...shows no updates since 2008. Pathetic.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT..._A4%2FS4%2FRS4
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I hope you get newer maps than what's indicated by the NAVTEQ website...shows no updates since 2008. Pathetic.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT..._A4%2FS4%2FRS4
Well at the very least I would assume they will be 2009 maps or greater.

The link you refer to is for the 2008 model year S4(B7) which has a completely different NAV system than the B8 A4/S4 platform which was all new in 2009.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got back from dealership today and chatted with one of the lead service techs (or tech manager - something like that) today. He said he recently attended an Audi meeting where they discussed this issue. AoA is aware that the maps are very outdated, and AoA have been made aware at how many of their customers want updated maps.

Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200, in the future this update, for whatever reason (it wasn't explained to him), would be very expensive, along the lines of $700.

It's good that an update might be just around the corner, but pretty astonished that the cost of a data update for the Nav system would cost 23% of the system itself. I could buy 3 Garmins for that cost.

Well, whatever the cost, we need to keep pressuring AoA. Not only for a new map update, but by the sounds of it, for the update to cost $200 as they have quoted to all of us when we bought the option and inquired about it.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geronimosan
Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200, in the future this update, for whatever reason (it wasn't explained to him), would be very expensive, along the lines of $700.

The only way this high cost would be justified is if it includes new software that uses Google maps and points of interest like in the A6 or A8. Otherwise, thats ridiculous.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200
Acura and BMW charge the same for their disk update - $199
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mercedes is worse, they charge $240. I actually used duct tape to secure my Garmin over the MB nav screen, took a picture, and emailed it to MB, telling them I finally got their nav to be as good as a Garmin.... :-(

For just a little more than the price of an upgrade, you can get a Garmin with lifetime map updates (which happen multiple times a year). If there was a way to get the other luxury features without nav, I would definitely be going for that. Am looking at the Q5, and this kind of issue makes me think twice. Have contacted my salesman about it, will see what he says.....
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abacon09
The only way this high cost would be justified is if it includes new software that uses Google maps and points of interest like in the A6 or A8. Otherwise, thats ridiculous.
Don't think that will happen as Google maps will require a hardware upgrade for a persistenet internet connection and monthly fees...

I, for one, am about to get very angry about this....

Yes, it's just a map update, but about time for a refund & return of the nav unit !
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like this would be a good option for class action. They certainly can't sell their vehicles as 'luxury' and 'the latest generation' if the maps and data are 3 or 4 years old. And when they were new (if they are like all other navigation systems) the map information they were based on was already a year or two old, which would make the data in their 'latest generation' of technology from about 2007 (or so).

This is actually making me think twice about buying an Audi. If they so seriously misrepresent one of the key 'advanced' features of their vehicle, what else are they misleading customers about?

Quick Reply: Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...