Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Annoying warning!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying warning!

So If u open drivers door with engine running you get a blaring alarm & the message "Turn off ignition before leaving car. Discharging battery."
It doesnt matter if headlights are on or not. Its really annoying and inaccurate. The battery discharges with the engine running? Anyway to shut this off via VAG. Other people referred to a headlight on warning that could be turned off. Want to find out before I approach dealer to shut off.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Kind of Nice

Really think it is nice to have. My engine runs so quite that I have had a few times when I thought it was off when it was really running. The warning stopped me from getting out & maybe locking it while it was running.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Really think it is nice to have. My engine runs so quite that I have had a few times when I thought it was off when it was really running. The warning stopped me from getting out & maybe locking it while it was running.
On the '13s, you can't get out of the driver's seat w/o the engine shutting off, at least with the start/stop system still active (ie disable switch pushed).
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
On the '13s, you can't get out of the driver's seat w/o the engine shutting off, at least with the start/stop system still active (ie disable switch pushed).
No start stop on 2.0t 2013. At least in US. Also i dont have the keyless start so no chance of locking car while running since they are in ignition.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
So If u open drivers door with engine running you get a blaring alarm & the message "Turn off ignition before leaving car. Discharging battery."
It doesnt matter if headlights are on or not. Its really annoying and inaccurate. The battery discharges with the engine running? Anyway to shut this off via VAG. Other people referred to a headlight on warning that could be turned off. Want to find out before I approach dealer to shut off.
I'm not a HUGE fan of it... but I see the point. I have the Advanced Key, so I don't have the same cues to turn off the ignition (NOT the same as the engine running -- you press the start/stop without the gas pedal to turn on ACC). So if you are sitting in the car with the radio on, you can leave without turning it off even though the key is with you. I haven't tried, but I assume it won't shut off automatically. Key won't let you lock the car while it is in ACC mode -- I've had this happen a couple of times.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by ssteigss
I stopped today to drop something off and left the car running with the shift lever in "park". I agree that the alarm is kind of loud and annoying but it quits in about 30 seconds. I left the door open and walked about 10' away to leave the package. When I got back in the car the parking brake had apparently decided to turn itself on? I know I did not turn it on because I was parked on level ground and I only use it on inclines. I tried to duplicate this when I got home and naturally it would not do it again. I had the key outside with me during the tests. When I shut the door with the engine running, the "key not in vehicle" light came on and the doors would not lock so that part works. I did have the engine start stop feature disabled, maybe that has something to do with it. Couldn't find anything about this in the manual. Anyone else have the parking brake set itself for no apparent reason? This is my first advanced key car so I'm still getting used to it. I also noticed at the (touchless) car wash that the doors appeared to be locking and unlocking themselves and the exterior lights flashed. Does the water from the sprayer do this? Is it normal?

2013 3.0T P+

All comments appreciated,

Thanks,

Update:
Apparently it has nothing to do with the engine running. I just made another stop, turned off the engine, got out and locked the doors. Came back and the parking brake was on again? Tried it again at home and made sure the key was out of range, wouldn't do it. It seems to be random, maybe a programming glitch or I missed something in the manual?

Last edited by HZ60; 12-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've found that if you hit the 'RESET' button on the bottom of the right steering wheel stock you can acknowledge the alarm and it will stop. I think that is a good solution for everyone. I agree with its annoyance and usefulness.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zeus48
I've found that if you hit the 'RESET' button on the bottom of the right steering wheel stock you can acknowledge the alarm and it will stop. I think that is a good solution for everyone. I agree with its annoyance and usefulness.
Good info! I wonder if that will also silence the damn parking sensors when backing out of the garage.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I would ever turn off the sensors, but if you want to,
the backup alarm is adjustable in the mmi on our 2011 P+....
even to the point of adjusting pitch and volume IIRC....

and think just pushing the 'orange lighted' dash button may turn it off too.... give it a try
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus48
It's an old trick
Post #8
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2838152&page=2

Originally Posted by Interex
Good info! I wonder if that will also silence the damn parking sensors when backing out of the garage.
Simply press the button to disable the sensor in the center console

Last edited by spijun; 12-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Annoying warning!