Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New SQ5

Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Really nice color combo! Enjoy your SQ5. I have had mine for 8 months and about 12,000 miles. I love it today just as much, if not more, than I did the first day I got it. :-)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philkkw
That is the Beaufort Aluminum, I am getting that one as well. I think it gives some touch to the cabin...look classy to me.
In the US it is called Layered Aluminum / Black Wood Inlay.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

nice!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by philkkw
Congratz. Looks great. How is the Pirelli tires? Do you find noisy? I am still waiting (patiently) for my Mythos/Black Optics to come in Sep...
The Pirelli's are not all that bad, but they are summer running so yes they too tend to tram; and also I notice that they can howl a little on concrete roads that have been diamond grinded. But, most tires new are good - we'll see how they wear. Also, I did see on the door that the recommended pressure was 42/42 on the door sticker, and when I ran the tires at that pressure they rode like rocks. Called the dealer/service dept and they recommended all @ 35 psi which rides much better. Does not seem to have any adverse affects on wear/mileage/handling, but I told them that if these start wearing prematurely from their recommendation they are replacing them - so they noted that in my file.

Still looking for an A/S replacement but nothing thus far.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks all - Driving Question

Thanks all for the positive comments; I'll take some add' pics once I install the OE side steps and the AluKreuz.

One item that I wanted to ask other SQ5 owners w/the 21" rim/tire setup is that: Do you find it challenging to keep the vehicle in a straight line on smooth roads at hi-speed, or do you find yourself making constant corrections...? I think the Pirelli's are to blame here for tram'ing but not 100% sure.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UHackenberg
Thanks all for the positive comments; I'll take some add' pics once I install the OE side steps and the AluKreuz.

One item that I wanted to ask other SQ5 owners w/the 21" rim/tire setup is that: Do you find it challenging to keep the vehicle in a straight line on smooth roads at hi-speed, or do you find yourself making constant corrections...? I think the Pirelli's are to blame here for tram'ing but not 100% sure.
This is an ongoing complaint that doesn't seem to be wheel or tire specific. S4 guys have had this too. I have 20s with Pilot Super Sports and I notice it for sure. I think it is more a combo of the chassis, electric steering, and stability programs. Supposedly there is a Driver Steering Recommendation (DSR) program that can be turned off with VAGCOM but I haven't gotten around to doing it. I'll be interested to hear if the Alukreuz makes it any better by cleaning up some slop.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

If there is one area the SQ5 falls behind my 325i, it would have to be the steering. It isn't sloppy or alignged bad, but there is no road feel to speak of. I find it is slightly better in "Dynamic" mode or Individual mode with steering set to "dynamic"

Originally Posted by UHackenberg

Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Ride looking good. 2 questions

1) What tints is your front windows? Make and %?
2) I see you have something hanging in back of the front seats- is that a protector? Are the car seat protectors a part of the seats or separate investment? thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
If there is one area the SQ5 falls behind my 325i, it would have to be the steering. It isn't sloppy or alignged bad, but there is no road feel to speak of. I find it is slightly better in "Dynamic" mode or Individual mode with steering set to "dynamic"
I agree, must put Individual on at all time to get Dynamic Steering, engine noise Dynamic, and Transmission to Auto. Best settings for me. If I want gear control, I go manual mode.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't find that mine wonders. It drives pretty dang straight (unless it is on a rough road).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New SQ5