Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

New Problem- squeaking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dealer fixed mine. There is another thread that I posted about the brakes.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T brakes squeal

I have just over 10k miles on my Q5 and my brakes also squeak. It's extremely annoying as its so random at times. But the one time it always squeaks without fail is right when I pull out of my garage.

It squeaks at low speed when I'm stopping at a red light, it also squeaks when I'm in stop and go traffic.

I understand that these noises can sometimes come, but not this often and not in such a new car. I have owned Benzes and BMWs and neither has ever given me this problem so I reject the notion that it just happens to all Audis as if its a common theme amongst cars in general. If it does happen to all Audis (which I doubt, since I know others with Audis and have asked), then bottom line...Audi is NOT a luxury brand.

What's worse is that Audi continues to deny there is a problem. I have taken it to the service and while it seems as though the technicians are sympathetic to me, it also seems like they're trained to tell me they haven't detected any problems or to deny that any issues exist with the design. At worst, this is a DESIGN problem...at best, Audi should at least offer a replacement of the disc or pads or something. Ridiculous.

I continue to get referred to Audi of America customer service and have logged a complaint.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

This does NOT happen on all Audis, nor even on all Q5s.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a A4 s line that this happened on, only when they were either dirty and or cold out.

I now just bought a 2015 q5 3.0t 600 miles and they are 10x worse in the cold i scared my neighbors pulling out this morning. It goes away after a couple stops, but boy is it embarrassing your new car has squeaky brakes.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GermanAutoStar
I had a A4 s line that this happened on, only when they were either dirty and or cold out.

I now just bought a 2015 q5 3.0t 600 miles and they are 10x worse in the cold i scared my neighbors pulling out this morning. It goes away after a couple stops, but boy is it embarrassing your new car has squeaky brakes.
+1 on the loudness and embarrassment when the brakes are squealing. I can be in the back of the house and if my wife is backing the Q5 out I can hear it loud and clear. Ours is 2 years old and has been doing it now and then since brand new.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Audi 2014 TDI with 21k miles.

Brake squeaking started when I went to GA from Florida during xmas.
It got to freezing there over night.

Now every time I start driving the brakes squeak at slow speed driving.

I have found that if i brake hard 1-2x the sound goes away for the rest of the ride.

I will be bringing this up at my 25k service interval.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's a 2012 Q5 2.0 P with 45K miles. I've had zero problems and mine drives like the day I bought it. Had an A4 before this. They both squeal (ed) when cold. It's a common complaint.
There are numerous suggestions of replacement pads that have OEM capabilities without all the dust and squeal. An easy fix when the day comes.

It's an Audi. It's worth it...
Old 01-11-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stix
Mine's a 2012 Q5 2.0 P with 45K miles. I've had zero problems and mine drives like the day I bought it. Had an A4 before this. They both squeal (ed) when cold. It's a common complaint.
There are numerous suggestions of replacement pads that have OEM capabilities without all the dust and squeal. An easy fix when the day comes.

It's an Audi. It's worth it...
While living in Japan, a lot of the cars there squealed because the regular use of metallic brake pads. Our Q5 only squeals when the temperature drops below 40℉ otherwise, no noise. Even w/ the noise, the brakes are more than capable and since pad thickness remains w/in specs... something we have to get used to... or turn up the music.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have had the break noise from day I on my 2015 Q5 TDI and I have 2500 kMs on the vehicle. It's linked to the cold and only happens when I'm parked outside. Taking it into the dealer for a service this morning hopefully they can recreate the problem and sort it out.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2012 began to make noise in the mornings as well. I installed Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and haven't heard a peep since.

Quick Reply: New Problem- squeaking brakes