Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
This is a very good summary of the program with one exception. The SD card would be purchased by the dealer, the dealer buys that not the customer. It is used multiple times on all vehicle models. There is no reason to bill the car owner for the SD card when the car comes in to a dealer or shop for an update. This is the reason why the invoice total at your dealer or shop would be 300.00 dollars. 241.00 for the PIN plus 59.00 for the labor. If a diy'er was doing this job we would bill 2 different part numbers. The SD card somes in it's own dvd case. I saw the one our techs use and the only thing inside was the SD card. Plus the dvd case with only the PIN inside. As ezveedub said it's one time use. And his avatar is cooler than mine.
I haven't checked the actual MMI update as it's sold, but yes, the SD card can be used for multiple uses, as the data is for all MMI3G cars. Also, this software was released around the third quarter of last year, but there was an error found in the software for MMI3G cars, that would cause it to lockup and corrupt the MMI unit during the update install, so all the copies had to be returned for correct error free versions. MMI3G+ cars were not affected by the corrupted files on the SD cards though.

Last edited by TIME89; 01-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tomb01
The Garmin 2595, with 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic is $250 on Amazon. Why in the world would anyone spend $300 for a 'map update'? For the price of a 'map update' in most vehicles (my MB ML550 is in the same price range) you can get a new Garmin every year, with around 4 updates a year for life.

$300? Amazing.
I concur, doctor.
What is more amazing, that owners of A8 need to pay for two updates! RIP OFF!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tomb01
The Garmin 2595, with 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic is $250 on Amazon. Why in the world would anyone spend $300 for a 'map update'? For the price of a 'map update' in most vehicles (my MB ML550 is in the same price range) you can get a new Garmin every year, with around 4 updates a year for life.

$300? Amazing.
I'd pay $300 to get my built in NAV working like it should and not have to have a tacky looking Garmin stuck to my windshield with wire hanging down across the dash and an antenna running up the windshield and having to remove it and lock it in the glovebox every time I reach my destination and clean the circles off the glass. I'd rather NOT pay that much but if I have t,o I will. Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
What is the version number of this update? my 2012 car was built in October/November 2011 and AOA told me I have the latest and greatest version. I believe my maps to be at least 3 years old! A forum member stated I have the update if my car was manufactured in Oct./Nov.
I picked up my new 2012 Q5 yesterday and can report the maps are updated, containing roads at least 6 months "new". The care was manufactured in November, 2011.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrasonDC
I picked up my new 2012 Q5 yesterday and can report the maps are updated, containing roads at least 6 months "new". The care was manufactured in November, 2011.
What version do you have?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll check in a bit.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took delivery of my Q5 on 10/1/2011. The maps are old and have v5.5.5.

On my commute home, it tells me to turn around on the one way I5 express lanes to take an exit that only a feeder lane.

This can't pass for quality.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrasonDC
It's version 5.5.5.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up my Q5 after its 5000 mile service thing and my service guy (for the last 5 years) said the maps are updated as a part of new service. I wish I had a road I could use to verify this (anyone from Baltimore area??) but I cannot.
I sure like my Q5, the paddles, the little lights under the front seats for the folks in back, the keyless walk-up thing, B&O radio, too many things to list.
Nicest car I have ever owned.
Chris
(Now for this Ford Focus ST I am about to order, when I can)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I'd pay $300 to get my built in NAV working like it should
Well, remember, you are talking about $300 a year for the rest of the life of your vehicle, and that is only 1 map update a year. A Garmin with lifetime maps typically gets them once a quarter, and if the Audi is like my MB the POI list is quite diappointing. I understand the not wanting to have the GPS stuck to your window, but before you discard the notion of a Garmin (I just let mine rest in the console and listen to the audio, pick it up only when I need to), compare the ease of use and touch screen interface to the Audi's.

Guess I was unimpressed with the Audi controls, too, compared to the ease of use of the touch screen interface on my portable.

I likely would not buy the nav in any new vehicle if it wasn't part of the 'package' options that I had to buy to get something like ventilated seates.

Quick Reply: Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+