Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 282488

Default My new 2014 q5 2.0 is loud at 60 mph or higher

Hello,
Just bought a 2014 q5 2.0 premium plus last week and when I go over 60 mph I hear a hollow humming sound. I took it to the dealer twice and they keep saying it's the turbo sound. Is this true? It's pretty loud when I go over 60 mph on a highway that's not so smooth.
Audi flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 209084

Turbo sound? Thats a good one. I've never heard a turbo make noise. You can get a wine from a supercharger but a turbo, not that I've heard.

Mike
SeaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBlue View Post
Turbo sound? Thats a good one. I've never heard a turbo make noise. You can get a wine from a supercharger but a turbo, not that I've heard.
A whine? What does that sound like and is it loud? I've never owned a tutbo car before so this sound is driving me nuts. However I don't hear it on a road that's very smooth. I don't have racks on either.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 273435

Check the tire pressure. Overinflating makes the Conti CrossContact LX Sports on mine very loud. Recommended pressure for my 2.0T is 33 psi and I run them at 30 psi for peace and quiet. It makes a huge difference. In end though, going to a summer tire is the only real solution. Mine also quieted down a bit after a 2000 miles or so.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenonista View Post
Check the tire pressure. Overinflating makes the Conti CrossContact LX Sports on mine very loud. Recommended pressure for my 2.0T is 33 psi and I run them at 30 psi for peace and quiet. It makes a huge difference. In end though, going to a summer tire is the only real solution. Mine also quieted down a bit after a 2000 miles or so.
Thank you for your suggestion. How do you lower tire pressure? I want to do it myself.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 247171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi flo View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. How do you lower tire pressure? I want to do it myself.
Do you have a friend or family member who can show you how? It's not hard, you just need to know what you're doing. You'll need a tire guage.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 173399

I've never even heard the turbo in my '13, and I used to hear it all the time in my old Subaru. As noted, it would be a higher pitched whistle and not a hum. Mine's very quiet overall above 60.
redherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 273435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi flo View Post
Like Q5 Bob mentioned, you need a pressure gauge, preferably one with a bleed valve. Like this one: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...uge/ES1884249/
Overinflate slightly using the compressed air hose. Say if you want 33 psi you would inflate to 34-35. Then put aside the compressed air hose, hold the pressure gauge hose against the wheel valve with one hand and the gauge with the other hand. Press the bleed valve (the little button on the hose next to the gauge) to let air out. Stop and check. Repeat until you have 33 psi. Then move on to the next wheel - overinflate, check and bleed.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 235141

chances are the wheel bearings. Are you hearing a whistle up top? if not it could be the wheel bearings. if the sound comes on about 60mph. pop the gear into neutral when the humming starts. If the hum continues it should be the wheel bearings
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 213881

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper View Post
chances are the wheel bearings. Are you hearing a whistle up top? if not it could be the wheel bearings. if the sound comes on about 60mph. pop the gear into neutral when the humming starts. If the hum continues it should be the wheel bearings
Extremely slim chance the noise is wheel bearings. They are always the loudest at around 45 mph and the car is way too new.
Never put your Q5 in neutral while rolling unless you enjoy loud bangs from your transmission. This has been documented from a few folks on here. I wasn't curious enough to chance it.
rdA4WtQ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement