Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MY 2014 Navigation Maps version?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DataSquid
I always see this advice, and I always wonder: Do they sell cars without warranties in some places? I guess that aside from dings/scratches/cosmetic issues, I fail to see the need for thorough checking of components like, say, the wipers and washer fluid pump. 2 reasons: I already paid some ridiculous PDI fee to the dealer to do exactly that for me, and I've never had an in-warranty breakdown where the dealer's accused me of fault. Especially if it's within the first week or 2.

So, great checklists, but say you find an issue? Then what? Don't buy the car? Negotiate a discount?
I totally get what you're saying about the warranty, which is why the list I made for myself wasn't as comprehensive as some of those seen on the net.

In the end we're all buying brand new cars from (hopefully) reputable dealers, so a lot of the things they say you should check for don't really matter from day 1 due to warranty and "customer satisfaction".

In reality, the chances that you'll actually find anything majorly wrong during inspection is very slim to none.
You can bet dollars to donuts though that any concerns raised BEFORE giving the dealer your $$ will be handled MUCH differently than they would be after they've cashed your cheque.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Checklists are simply a way to ensure that if something is observed at delivery that it's either noted for future correction or can be resolved before you drive off.
Warranties cover mechanical defects. Damage, missing stuff and convenience is something else. Here's a checklist for why you should have a checklist:

1. A cosmetic issue that a dealer could say happened after you left. Noting it on the invoice will alleviate that possibility. Trust is fine, but having it in writing is better.
2. Something is missing, i.e. AMI cable, jack, eKey, etc. While the dealer would more than likely make it good later, it's more convenient to catch it then and save a trip back. Ever leave a McDonald's drive-through only to find something was missing from your order when you got home? Was it aggravating?
3. Audi requires the salesperson walk you through the systems. While you can decline, it can help you to understand the functions of the car before you read the manual later. Especially if you're new to the model. And it's free.
4. Ensuring the Sirius radio, traffic and Audi Connect fee trials are activated and working before you drive off is like #2 - convenience; it saves you a trip back.
5. Asking questions about tire pressure, TSBs, etc. before you leave can't hurt. Something may have been missed.

Over the years, I've seen many forum posts where AW members reported issues discovered after delivery that could have been resolved before leaving the dealership.

I wouldn't close on a home purchase without a checklist during the walk-through inspection. I also check inside the bag before I leave McDonald's. Why not do the same for a car purchase? Other than taking an extra 15 minutes to run through a checklist at delivery, if there's a downside, I don't see it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
With the Audi Connect Google "Online Destinations", the nav will show and direct you to a POI location on a new street not yet on the NavTeq map but it will not be able to ID the street in the routing. I seem to recall as you navigate onto a destination street not in the NavTeq database, it will just treat it as an "off road" routing and destination at that point, much like when you are navigating into a destination located in a large shopping center parking lot. Again, any new roads not in the internal database will be ignored for routing.

Google Online Destinations have essentially the same POIs as Google Maps and are updated dynamically online. The only way, though, to update the car's underlying NavTeq maps with new streets and addresses (and the internal POIs) is via a DVD sold by Audi dealers. They usually will require they install it which, apparently, takes a few hours to perform so it's not inexpensive. Not sure how often the map DVDs are updated.

Unless they add a bunch of new interstates in my area, I'll manage with Google Online Destinations POIs for a few years before I spend the big bucks for a map update since 99.9% of the time I'm not searching for a specific address on a new street and I use the Online Destination POIs pretty exclusively (The internal nav POIs are much more limited). Besides, the NavTeq map updates are typically a year or two out of date when released in any case.
So, wait, are Online Destinations things you control from your "home PC" or Nav?

At first I thought this term referred to being able to set stuff from a computer and sync to your car. But it sounds like you're referring to choosing a selection from the MMI directly? There is the ability to set stuff from home right? Is there a different term for that feature? From home can you then also select new locations (roads or POIs) that are not in the NavTeq and have it route you there?

If there's more features available via the "home PC" selection and sync, what I'm envisioning is people (ie me) sitting in my driver's seat on my smartphone (possibly connected via my car's wifi just for added irony) setting a destination via the web interface and then sync'ing to the car to be able to get that selected. When this is something I can't merely do directly into the Nav itself - that would be rather annoying/ironic/poor/whatever. Is there indeed such functionality that's greater when going through the web interface instead of the Nav directly?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here's a delivery checklist I use (in no particular order)

1. Inspect the car carefully inside and out for any damage or obvious cosmetic issues and have the dealer note them on the invoice.
2. Allow the dealer to walk you through the various features (this gives you a jump start on understanding all the systems).
3. Ensure the dealer activates Sirius radio, Sirius Traffic and Audi Connect/T-Mobile free trials.
4. Ensure the AMI cable is present and if you have an iPhone or 3rd generation iTouch, see if they will swap out the blue grommet AMI cable for the red one for video and album art display; (note that iPhone 5 will not pass video with AMI cable and Apple adapter).
5. Resist all offers to purchase add-ons (usually from the finance mgr.) i.e. extended warranties, Audi Care, paint treatments, etc. Despite what he may say otherwise, you can purchase these later if you are so inclined. (Audi Care is the only one I'll buy at 15K service and bras and films will be usually less expensive from third parties on your own).
6. Ensure you get a full tank of gas.
7. If required, make sure they provide the info to your insurance company and the car has its inspection sticker.
8. Ensure the shipping blocks have been removed.
9. Ensure all keys (incl emergency key), spare, jack, tools, all operating manuals and all paperwork incl registration are present.
10. Check tire pressures are not set to the max settings on the door label but are set to the manual's recommendation.
11. Ask if any and all applicable TSBs have been checked for and applied
12. Bring a camera and take some photos before you drive it off the lot. The car will never look better and you'll have a nice record of the experience for later.
13. Try not to be too excited before running down the list above.
Thanks for the checklist.

I am starting to prep for my pick up and # 13 will be VERY hard.
This will be my FIRST NEW car and FIRST Luxury/German car.. I've only owned cheap economical american cars(spent my money on a house first) and now the car!

Searched the forum for checklists and found that someone posted a very nice PDF Check list and I am attaching it to the post here as well(for anyone else looking for a good pick up checklist).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi Q5 Checklist.pdf (64.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Supplementing this thread, version ties to build date and model year

I have a 2013 built late on in the run--in May 2013. It just got to me here in the U.S. after its Euro delivery trip and then time in transit all the way to the west coast of USA. Nav is disabled in Europe on ED vehicles and I wondered if it is just shut down but already loaded data wise there, or if it happens as part of later shipment or delivery.

When the vehicle got to me here in USA today with Nav now enabled, I checked. Nav version is 5.7.3, which ties to a reply further below about another 2013 Q5 built near that time.

A fair conclusion is the Nav version thus ties to build date and then more generally to model year, which all makes sense. Plus mine was built right near the very end of 2013's, so there must have been a distinct cut over for early 2014 builds given the later Nav. versions posted here for those early '14's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-23-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaXeN
This is the most important rule for any inspection list.
You really have to make sure you leave your heart at the door when entering the dealership on delivery day.... You'll be SO excited about getting the new car that there may be things that you'll forget to check, or simply overlook to start enjoying your new ride ASAP.

Take all the time in the world to do a proper inspection BEFORE you sign on the dotted lines.
Keep in mind as well that the dealer/salesperson is as anxious as you are to get the car off the lot and onto the street. You will never again have as much leverage as you do on delivery day. And as is the case when doing a price negotiation, there is no bigger or more powerful threat than walking out the door (even if you've already signed the purchase paperwork and then decide to leave the car on the lot for whatever reason, the dealer will still be in a panic about how that situation will look if AOA gets wind of it on a survey, etc.).