Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not pay 3900 for Daytona on an sq5. I really like my color, but not that much.

My 2nd choice was lava and could be happy with that on an sq5.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a 2009 Brilliant black Q5 and when clean, nothing looks better than a black Q5 (or any shiny black car for that matter). This time I bought the Moonlight Blue and after owning it for almost 8 months, I would say I'm unimpressed with the color. When freshly cleaned and waxed, it does look nice, but no where the pizazz as the black and when even a little dirty, as previously mentioned looks like "dirty steel grey." Boring!
Having owned many black cars, I would opt for the Phantom Black, rather than Brilliant Black, as I think it looks incredibly rich, but hides the inevitable swirls and dust that the Brilliant black will show very quickly.

Bob
Old 03-03-2014, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions decisions

Originally Posted by Transfer
Phantom Black is spectacular and I would not even entertain the thought of Brilliant Black over Phantom. Midnight blue is interesting. It seems like it should be a great color but all I ever see out of it is a dirty looking steel gray. I don't think it shines hardly at all. Pay up and go Estoril if you want a blue. I think it is the best SQ5 color.
While I am sure pictures can be deceiving its amazing to see how much the colors can vary under different lighting. I think if i spend a little extra on a color it will definitely be the Phantom Black. What draws me to the Brilliant black may also be the same thing the deters others...its always black! Rain, sun, clouds, inside, outside etc. its a deep black whereas the Phantom offers a slight visual variety and of course helps hide some of the inevitable headaches of owning a black car that come in the form of dirt and swirl marks!!

Audifreak - i appreciate the feedback on the TDI and SQ. I dont plan to race or track the car but do tend to have a heavy foot and like the idea of having a little something extra on the top end. I am working with a military buyers program so there was only a $3,000 difference between the two and the SQ5 is close to an 8% discount. I think both are niche vehicles and figured id take advantage of this opportunity although never in a million years would i have thought id buy a car without test driving it. IF i end up regretting it I may at least have a little more room to negotiate and/or ease finding a TDI although I may not get my dream set up versus starting with a TDI and craving an SQ5. Clearly I am trying to justify my decision, haha.

Last edited by davidjz; 03-03-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davidjz
While I am sure pictures can be deceiving its amazing to see how much the colors can vary under different lighting. I think if i spend a little extra on a color it will definitely be the Phantom Black. What draws me to the Brilliant black may also be the same thing the deters others...its always black! Rain, sun, clouds, inside, outside etc. its a deep black whereas the Phantom offers a slight visual variety and of course helps hide some of the inevitable headaches of owning a black car that come in the form of dirt and swirl marks!!

Audifreak - i appreciate the feedback on the TDI and SQ. I dont plan to race or track the car but do tend to have a heavy foot and like the idea of having a little something extra on the top end. I am working with a military buyers program so there was only a $3,000 difference between the two and the SQ5 is close to an 8% discount. I think both are niche vehicles and figured id take advantage of this opportunity although never in a million years would i have thought id buy a car without test driving it. IF i end up regretting it I may at least have a little more room to negotiate and/or ease finding a TDI although I may not get my dream set up versus starting with a TDI and craving an SQ5. Clearly I am trying to justify my decision, haha.
Oh no no no, don't get me wrong, not trying to sway you cause the SQ5 is still the car I would love to have if it wasn't for the very expensive fuel (I had an S5, and that was one of the reasons I sold it; the other was having a kid...heavy foot meant gas station every 3 days almost lol). Like I said, can't go wrong...heck even with the 2.0 you can't go wrong. I would have gone with the 2.0 if they offered S-line and sport packages on it. That 8% discount is excellent...especially if you end up wanting to sell it in a couple of years; the SQ5 will hold it's value very well. You will not regret your decision, that's for sure.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
I would not pay 3900 for Daytona on an sq5. I really like my color, but not that much.

My 2nd choice was lava and could be happy with that on an sq5.
I don't know if I would pay that much extra to get Daytona either...even though I love the color. Always thought it looked perfect on the RS4. I got it on my Q5 TDI that should be here at the end of the month I hope. If it was like $1000 extra for the SQ5, I would get it because it is a very classy/sporty/sexy color for those that don't want black. My S5 was Phantom Black; although a great color since I love black on sport cars, I just didn't want to deal with cleaning a now bigger black car like the Q5 since I don't have the time these days (kid) to spend waxing/polishing it like I would want to.

As for the Lava, I really like the color but my wife thought it looked more brown (she didn't want a brown color). The SQ5 I test drove was Lava, and it looked very very good on it, especially with the S-line package that blacks out everything. The black and the "brown" compliment each other very well. It was raining when I drove it, so it looked more gray than brown, but I know in the sun, it will have a brown look, which is still a great brown color.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Grommet6
Just switched from Phantom Black, if you're deciding between the two as they are both dark colors I would stick with Black. I just picked up my Volcano Red Metallic last week, consider this:
Wow...love that Volcano Red color! Always admired red cars but for some reason, I can't get myself to purchase a red car...dunno why. I really really like yours though, especially with the darker wheels...sharp!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Q

I don't get the expensive fuel argument. In California and anywhere else in the USA I can remember, diesel fuel is always more expensive. Even premium fuel is usually only 30-40 cents more per gallon then regular. That amounts to about $3-$4 more per tank. I realize this all adds up, but I don't see it as anything major (especially if you can afford to purchase a $40 - $60k vehicle depending on the trim line you get).

Did the SQ5 have anything I needed over the lower models? Certainly not. However, I don't think the lower models would give me that big smile I get every single time I get in to drive. Then comes those few times when I stomp on the gas. Woo-Hoo! :-)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I don't get the expensive fuel argument. In California and anywhere else in the USA I can remember, diesel fuel is always more expensive. Even premium fuel is usually only 30-40 cents more per gallon then regular. That amounts to about $3-$4 more per tank. I realize this all adds up, but I don't see it as anything major (especially if you can afford to purchase a $40 - $60k vehicle depending on the trim line you get). Did the SQ5 have anything I needed over the lower models? Certainly not. However, I don't think the lower models would give me that big smile I get every single time I get in to drive. Then comes those few times when I stomp on the gas. Woo-Hoo! :-)
Hi Dustin, I am assuming you are talking about my statement, since I think I brought up MPG's, but I didn't say anything about "expensive fuel." I mentioned MPG's...the way I drive, I'll be at the pump every 3 to 4 days (as I was with the S5 which gets pretty much the same MPG's as the SQ5). I just didn't want to go to the pump almost twice a week. The TDI helps me do just that as well as puts a smile on my face :-) Btw, diesel is about no more than 10 cents over premium in VA, and sometimes they cost the same, so it does add up. You're right, the SQ5 (which what I was looking at originally I think due to withdrawals from my S5) put a smile on my face as well, and that sound! The TDI gave me pretty much the same feeling up to 70/80 mph which is more than I need from an SUV, and paid considerably less for it, less time at the pump as well, and got it for pretty much close to what a similarly equipped 3.0T Premium Plus would have cost me (which is usually the argument about gas price difference that you won't make up that 2 or 3K difference in price between TDI and regular 3.0). Nothing against the SQ5 at all, but TDI hit pretty much all the marks for me for less money. loved the SQ5, and many congrats to all who have it!

Last edited by AudiFreak666; 03-04-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if I'll go with the SQ5 or not (leaning towards the 3.0), but if I did, it would be Estoril Blue, without a doubt. ...I'm partial to blues though. I still love looking at my Santorin Blue A4.
In the Q5, Teak Brown looks intriguing, but I still haven't seen it in person. I like Scuba Blue, but not like Estoril. The wife doesn't want to have too many blue cars. The 8 is Akoya Silver though, so I don't understand what she is complaining about.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
Pay up and go Estoril if you want a blue. I think it is the best SQ5 color.
I can't disagree with this statement. If you like blue, that Estoril Blue is so sharp. I actually get more compliments on the color of the SQ5 than the actual car itself. Hahah.

Just curious, as far as pricing between the Q5 TDI and SQ5. If we are doing an apples to apples comparison, I'm pretty sure you guys are looking at a Q5 TDI with S-Line, right? So if that's the case, the difference is much less than what you guys are reporting and that's before any discounts. The base TDI is $46,500, while the base SQ5 is $51,900. So on the surface, it's a significant $5,400 price difference. However if you get the S-Line package ($3,500) and the Sport Interior package ($500), then in reality that $5,400 difference has now dropped $4,000. So in reality the difference is only $1,400. Now as far as preferences in colors and gas mileage differences are definitely legitimate. Unless you drive a lot of freeway on the car, you are probably looking at the high teens in MPG. I'm guessing the TDI is probably in the low-mid 20s for mixed driving. So if you pick the TDI, you do it for the Daytona Gray and/or the gas mileage, but probably not because of the price difference between the two. As we would all agree, no matter which one you choose, you are picking an awesome car.

Quick Reply: Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?